New practice facility for SCum - Christian to um

I think IU just built one also. Check out quotes from Beilein…
I guess PSU has had recruiting advantages because of our BJC.
Also, Christian to um. Too bad, I thought Christian would be good for PSU.

http://www.umhoops.com/

[quote=“tundra, post:1, topic:1155”]I think IU just built one also. Check out quotes from Beilein…
I guess PSU has had recruiting advantages because of our BJC.
Also, Christian to um. Too bad, I thought Christian would be good for PSU.

http://www.umhoops.com/[/quote]

Not exactly. Beilein touts the practice facility because it gives the men and women separate practice facilities so they don’t have to worry about sharing the court. But at Penn State, the mens and womans teams do share the practice court.

One explanation point. The BJC has two separate courts. The MAIN court and a separate Aux. gym with multiple hoops.
Both teams CAN practice at the same time if they choose.
The basketball offices are IN the BJC.
Weight training rooms and locker rooms are also in the BJC.
The BJC is close to dorms.
It is a very good facility for our basketball teams! PSU should be proud of this facility. Fans should NOT AVOID saying something positive about our basketball program! Try it!..you might like…unless you are an Apologist/Basher THEN you will NEVER say anything positive about PSU basketball.

Agree with Tundra on this one. I was recently in the BJC’s auxiliary gym and was surprised how spacious it was, although with carpet down, I couldn’t judge the space against the outlines of the basketball court. Nevertheless, it seemed big enough for two courts if the interior was reconfigured. And, as Tundra noted, the main arena is available for BB practice when there’s not a concert or monster truck rally going on. So, both men’s and women’s can practice simultaneously most of the time.

Therefore, it’s hard for me to justify building a second practice court when there are other pressing needs in Athletics such as an indoor 50-meter swimming pool and 10-meter diving well, an upgraded indoor tennis facility and a soccer house at Jeffrey Field.

Now the pictures I’ve seen of the BJC weight room do seem to indicate it’s relatively small, but there are several places on campus for varsity teams to lift weights.

[quote=“Evan Ceg, post:4, topic:1155”]Agree with Tundra on this one. I was recently in the BJC’s auxiliary gym and was surprised how spacious it was, although with carpet down, I couldn’t judge the space against the outlines of the basketball court. Nevertheless, it seemed big enough for two courts if the interior was reconfigured. And, as Tundra noted, the main arena is available for BB practice when there’s not a concert or monster truck rally going on. So, both men’s and women’s can practice simultaneously most of the time.

Therefore, it’s hard for me to justify building a second practice court when there are other pressing needs in Athletics such as an indoor 50-meter swimming pool and 10-meter diving well, an upgraded indoor tennis facility and a soccer house at Jeffrey Field.

Now the pictures I’ve seen of the BJC weight room do seem to indicate it’s relatively small, but there are several places on campus for varsity teams to lift weights. [/quote]

Thank you Evan for the post. The weight room I saw in the BJC is smallish. There may be more than one. But, I doubt it. BUT the BJC is a fine facility. The hoop players can come at most anytime and have a practice area where they can shot and work on other things! The BJC is a very good home for PSU basketball!
It’s important that both teams/coaches have access to both the Aux. gym and the main gym.
Coaches want an adequate amount of practice in the gym that they games (main gym.) It is very different shooting in very large facilities. It takes getting used to the spacious background and feeling comfortable in that gym. Your “home” gym should feel like “home.”

[quote="Evan Ceg, post:4, topic:1155"]Agree with Tundra on this one. I was recently in the BJC's auxiliary gym and was surprised how spacious it was, although with carpet down, I couldn't judge the space against the outlines of the basketball court. Nevertheless, it seemed big enough for two courts if the interior was reconfigured. And, as Tundra noted, the main arena is available for BB practice when there's not a concert or monster truck rally going on. So, both men's and women's can practice simultaneously most of the time.

Now the pictures I’ve seen of the BJC weight room do seem to indicate it’s relatively small, but there are several places on campus for varsity teams to lift weights.[/quote]

Thank you Evan for the post. The weight room I saw in the BJC is smallish. There may be more than one. But, I doubt it. BUT the BJC is a fine facility. The hoop players can come at most anytime and have a practice area where they can shot and work on other things! The BJC is a very good home for PSU basketball!
It’s important that both teams/coaches have access to both the Aux. gym and the main gym.
Coaches want an adequate amount of practice in the gym that they games (main gym.) It is very different shooting in very large facilities. It takes getting used to the spacious background and feeling comfortable in that gym. Your “home” gym should feel like “home.”

I disagree. At it’s core the BJC is a good facility but has a benign feeling to it and lacks character. I liken it to a that “sterile” feel of a hospital. When my Father was renovating the basketball offices I had the chance to speak to Penn State’s project manager, speaking as an alum of course, and he really couldn’t refute my point. Now that the offices and locker rooms have been renovated there seems to be a push to get the rest of the inner workings spruced up as well. Unfortunately as with many other things at Penn State this is going to take time unless there is a donation for basketball, so let’s start pinching those pennies guys. :wink:

scUM? Leave that juvenile crap on the McAndrew Board. If John Beilein is scum, Penn State needs to get scummier.

scUM? I always enjoyed that nickname for UM. Also like Meatchicken and Mecheatagain. Never really thought of that as being juvenile. Guess I’ll have to rethink all the “fun” nicknames I have for all the other teams I love to hate (sPitt, NY Junkees, CrIowa, Philthydelphia Cryers, NY StRangers, etc.)

[quote="djones, post:7, topic:1155"]scUM? Leave that juvenile crap on the McAndrew Board. If John Beilein is scum, Penn State needs to get scummier.[/quote]

scUM? I always enjoyed that nickname for UM. Also like Meatchicken and Mecheatagain. Never really thought of that as being juvenile. Guess I’ll have to rethink all the “fun” nicknames I have for all the other teams I love to hate (sPitt, NY Junkees, CrIowa, Philthydelphia Cryers, NY StRangers, etc.)

I’ve always thought all the nickname stuff was juvenile although I don’t think I’ve ever called anyone out on it.

Juvenile…hey, why not. When your old…it’s feels good to be called “juvenile.” Heck, many “real” juveniles act more “adult” than many adults I know.

I like Beilein, A LOT. A few years ago he sent my son a very nice hand written recruiting letter. Fine gentleman.

But, I believe, the dishonestly of the Fab 5 years trump everything. And…that is just talking about the basketball program. Don’t get me started about the football program.

And what Western PA guy doesn’t like the “Philthydelphia” (thanks mjg) nickname.

“Get a life” guys!! ::slight_smile:

[quote="djones, post:7, topic:1155"]scUM? Leave that juvenile crap on the McAndrew Board. If John Beilein is scum, Penn State needs to get scummier.[/quote]

I’ve always thought all the nickname stuff was juvenile although I don’t think I’ve ever called anyone out on it.

I think it depends on the individual. I’ve always been a nickname guy. I think it depends on whether you are doing it in fun or not. For me, I’ve always thought it was just for fun. And usually there is a friend that roots for the other team. And I only use the nickname in front of that person(s). But we all have opinions.

If you’re just being goofy then fine, I apologize. It’s the zealots over there on the other boards who really believe the holier-than-thou crap that bug me. When they say scUM, they really believe it extends to everyone wearing maize and blue. They can’t just have fun going to games and watching them, they have to demonize the enemy. And it’s not just college kids being who they are. It’s 50-year-olds like that rube blogger Sponsler pennlive used to have until they finally fired his ass.

People with integrity and people with none populate all of the schools. When the us-versus-them crap starts, it just bothers me. Pretty soon you’re having scenes like the 2002 Nebraska game and the 2005 Ohio State game where drunken halfwits rule.

And it happens on every campus. I happen to think a lot of it starts with a lack of Internet civility. My opinion.

[quote=“djones, post:12, topic:1155”]If you’re just being goofy then fine, I apologize. It’s the zealots over there on the other boards who really believe the holier-than-thou crap that bug me. When they say scUM, they really believe it extends to everyone wearing maize and blue. They can’t just have fun going to games and watching them, they have to demonize the enemy. And it’s not just college kids being who they are. It’s 50-year-olds like that rube blogger Sponsler pennlive used to have until they finally fired his ass.

People with integrity and people with none populate all of the schools. When the us-versus-them crap starts, it just bothers me. Pretty soon you’re having scenes like the 2002 Nebraska game and the 2005 Ohio State game where drunken halfwits rule.

And it happens on every campus. I happen to think a lot of it starts with a lack of Internet civility. My opinion.[/quote]

Got it. I agree with that. Since I do it to be goofy, I guess I just assume others do it for the same reason. I’ll keep that in mind from now on when posting on any forum. Don’t want to be lumped with any of the halfwits.

Wasn’t at the 02 Nebraska game, but don’t recall anything bad about the 05 OSU game. I know our tailgates are always open to fans of the other team. In fact, we usually invite opposing fans to join us for beer pong. Have met a lot of pretty cool people that way.

I think the '02 Nebraska game had the infamous stolen Nebraska hat, which I believe was later returned. I could be wrong on that though. The '05 tOSU game featured the made up story of someone throwing a bag of urine at their band. I’m sure there were some other incidents at that game too.

[quote=“djones, post:12, topic:1155”]If you’re just being goofy then fine, I apologize. It’s the zealots over there on the other boards who really believe the holier-than-thou crap that bug me. When they say scUM, they really believe it extends to everyone wearing maize and blue. They can’t just have fun going to games and watching them, they have to demonize the enemy. And it’s not just college kids being who they are. It’s 50-year-olds like that rube blogger Sponsler pennlive used to have until they finally fired his ass.

And it happens on every campus. I happen to think a lot of it starts with a lack of Internet civility. My opinion.[/quote]

Of coarse we’re better than those sleezy Michigonians !!!

Next, you’ll try to say that us Americans are no better than those pick-o commies, limp-wristed French, or the bomb toting towel heads !!!

;)

[quote="djones, post:12, topic:1155"]If you're just being goofy then fine, I apologize. It's the zealots over there on the other boards who really believe the holier-than-thou crap that bug me. When they say scUM, they really believe it extends to everyone wearing maize and blue. They can't just have fun going to games and watching them, they have to demonize the enemy. And it's not just college kids being who they are. It's 50-year-olds like that rube blogger Sponsler pennlive used to have until they finally fired his ass.

Of coarse we’re better than those sleezy Michigonians !!!

Next, you’ll try to say that us Americans are no better than those pick-o commies, limp-wristed French, or the bomb toting towel heads !!!

;)</blockquote>

Hey Skeeza, I think you may have something there…
Check out the link!
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080922172833AAIoBtZ

That-a-boy for spelling “Michigonian” correctly. I wonder how many real Michigonians can spell Michigonian?

:P