PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

New Jones Article

Tim Curley should be fired. I will be writing to Graham Spanier voicing discontent over this Athletic Director; I’d encourage everyone else to also. If I were Eddie Folger I’d be pretty embarrassed to be associated with this search.

http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/2011/05/larry_brown_didnt_want_big_fro.html

I was going to wait until after dinner to grab a beer. That’s not the case anymore. Well it is the case, just a case of beer.

Jones is really zeroing in on Curley. I am not saying it isn’t partly justified because we see the problems with how basketball program is set up but its definitely a guns a blazing.

Jones is just reporting what he has learned. The fact that everything he is learning makes Curley look bad isn’t Jones’ fault.

If the Brown situation is factual…Bye Tim…you blew it again!!!

I don’t know how to respond to any of this.

It’s Larry freaking Brown, how do you not get him when he appears to actually be interested? Brown can put us on the map, and we can get a higher level coach when he finally leaves.

He’d recruit top-level hoops talent. That just isn’t the Penn State way.

I’d be willing to bet that Spanier and Curley considered Larry Brown’s availability within the first few hours of learning they’d need to conduct a search. And they decided that they weren’t going to hire Brown, hence why Curley never called Brown in the first place. As to the reason for that decision, I’d bet it has more to do with Brown’s NCAA violations than with how recently he’d coached college kids, but the latter is a more palatable and respectful reason to give Brown.

All of this is speculation, and I myself would have seriously considered Brown if he agreed to some well delineated ground rules.

In any case, I don’t think we’ll be able to hire a “Wow!” candidate, but I’m optimistic we’ll hire an up-and-comer with substantial promise. It wouldn’t shock me if we hire someone whose name hasn’t been mentioned yet.

Well espn has an article in there rumors section that insider set so they have kind of picked up the djones articles or has own sources.

[quote=“Evan Ceg, post:9, topic:2432”]I’d be willing to bet that Spanier and Curley considered Larry Brown’s availability within the first few hours of learning they’d need to conduct a search. And they decided that they weren’t going to hire Brown, hence why Curley never called Brown in the first place. As to the reason for that decision, I’d bet it has more to do with Brown’s NCAA violations than with how recently he’d coached college kids, but the latter is a more palatable and respectful reason to give Brown.

All of this is speculation, and I myself would have seriously considered Brown if he agreed to some well delineated ground rules.

In any case, I don’t think we’ll be able to hire a “Wow!” candidate, but I’m optimistic we’ll hire an up-and-comer with substantial promise. It wouldn’t shock me if we hire someone whose name hasn’t been mentioned yet. [/quote]

Evan - there is a chance that you are right. But the bottom line is he handled it very poorly. That was his decision and nobody else’s. I can’t imagine anyone would have advised him to tell a great coach he that he wasn’t wanted at the beginning of the phone call. Now that news is coming out that Brown was basically going to come here and groom our next coach without really caring about the money. If that’s true, and Curley never let the conversation get there, then Curley needs to be taking an enormous amount of heat for this. I’m thinking Spanier may have given Curley enough rope to hang himself on this search, and I think he may have done just that. The optics of this are terrible for Penn State.

If any of this true, the only thing he handled poorly was letting some estate planner talk him into talking to Brown.

I have to wonder if the skewering that Dave Jones gave him for not returning Lavin’s inquiries eight years ago led Curley to talk to Brown this go round even though there was no chance that he’d hire him.

Forgive me for being a contrarian, but Jones is ignoring what is possibly the most important part of this conversation - the fact that Larry Brown left the last two programs he coached on probation for violations. The fact he hasn’t even mentioned this tells me he has an agenda - to ridicule TC and the program for any reason he can come up with. Report both sides DJ or give up journalism, because what you are writing belongs at the grocery store check out.

I Curley gave as his reason for not pursuing Larry Brown, the fact that Brown has a history of NCAA violations, then I don’t think there is a big uproar and Curley can be held up to maintaining higer standards. It is, after all, a matter of fact that Brown’s record in that area, is not compatible with the “Penn State way”. The stated reason about a lack of recent College experience, come on. Stay with the facts here, TC, and this message board is a whole lot less reactionary.

Excellent point, I’ll join your contrarian club, some things never change. ::slight_smile:

[quote="mjg, post:15, topic:2432"]Forgive me for being a contrarian, but Jones is ignoring what is possibly the most important part of this conversation - the fact that Larry Brown left the last two programs he coached on probation for violations. The fact he hasn't even mentioned this tells me he has an agenda - to ridicule TC and the program for any reason he can come up with. Report both sides DJ or give up journalism, because what you are writing belongs at the grocery store check out.[/quote] I Curley gave as his reason for not pursuing Larry Brown, the fact that Brown has a history of NCAA violations, then I don't think there is a big uproar and Curley can be held up to maintaining higer standards. It is, after all, a matter of fact that Brown's record in that area, is not compatible with the "Penn State way". The stated reason about a lack of recent College experience, come on. Stay with the facts here, TC, and this message board is a whole lot less reactionary.

If that is indeed what was said perhaps he is trying to be respectful to a legendary coach. Great coach just not a fit at PSU.

[quote="mjg, post:15, topic:2432"]Forgive me for being a contrarian, but Jones is ignoring what is possibly the most important part of this conversation - the fact that Larry Brown left the last two programs he coached on probation for violations. The fact he hasn't even mentioned this tells me he has an agenda - to ridicule TC and the program for any reason he can come up with. Report both sides DJ or give up journalism, because what you are writing belongs at the grocery store check out.[/quote]

Excellent point, I’ll join your contrarian club, some things never change. ::slight_smile:

The violations are a very important topic to discuss with Brown, but I don’t think 13 minutes was even enough time to go there. The fact that the violations happened in the 1970s and 1980s may lead reasonable people to think that Brown could be older and wiser now. We certainly didn’t press Galen Hall too hard on his 1980s NCAA violations after Fran Ganter left.

I am not sure that Larry Brown would have made an impact in the way that some assume. I have no problem with him not being considered a serious candidate. I really think it would be a bad fit. I alway thought Larry (and I like him as the sixers coach) he kinda has ADHD in terms of staying focused in one place. (Like sticking around). I doubt he could have built a foundation. I would also have passed.