PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

New hoops verbal

http://pennstate.scout.com/2/999145.html

Welcome Pat!!

Anyone find any playing video??

Great news. From the Michigan article in the recruiting thread, seemed like he was leaning that way. I especially liked this(from the same article).

Describe your game. I’m definitely more of a defensive player and a rebounder. I block shots, change a lot of shots and I like to rebound. Also I like to get out and get a lot of my buckets in transition running the floor, getting ahead of guys. I’m more of a post-up, I don’t step out as much as I used to. I can shoot the mid-range but I’m more of a post-up player.

Can he play this year? :wink: The 2011 incoming will herald PSU’s “Twin Towers” team. Kudos to Ed and staff. Really fills out the team.

I see he made the Gym Rat all tourney team. Here’s the link with the history and full all tourney team. The tourney was Memorial Day Weekend, so it was a bit early and reports suggest his stock has gone up during AAU season.

http://www.gymratunlimited.com/history_recap.shtml

The tourney was held at Siena. I suppose at their gym, which er, they don’t play at(they’re at the Times Union Center), but anyway…a poster on one of their fan sites had this to say about Pat’s team…

[i]Magic’s Best Team Ever?

Massachusetts’ two Magic teams, Bay State and Middlesex, both have outstanding teams this year and as we watched both clubs on Saturday, we couldn’t help but wonder if these two clubs were the best their respective clubs had ever seen.

Pat Connaughton and Patrick Ackerman came up big for the Middlesex Magic in the morning session while Bryan Hurley continued to lead the supporting cast and Jesse Pagliuca chipped in with his shot making. Connaughton continued to showcase his deceptive length and athleticism in addition to the versatile skill set that allows him to rain threes as well as he does convert jump hooks on the block. Ackerman does his best work on the defensive end by blocking/altering shots and cleaning the glass, but he has an impressive skill set of his own on the offensive end.
[/i]

I saw this in another link on the gym rat challenge…P.J. Torres (New Rochelle) says he is wide open right now but is hearing from Iona, Rider, Monmouth, and Penn State to name just a few. Is he in the matrix?

Looks like he is from Berlin, Maryland (PSU drive recruiting area.) But, he schools in NE.

That’s great news and he’s a coaches kid so he should be fundamentally sound.

Now we need a SF and and combo SF/PF. I think we are set with guards and C’s. How weird is it to say that, we are set with C’s?

Good stuff, particularly like the part about shot blocking.

This doesn’t read great, but seems old. I wouldn’t be surprised if it gets updated/upgraded., as this was probably done prior to this AAU season, though not sure. 81 now, bet it goes to 88 or higher, with better copy.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/102222/pat-ackerman

From ESPN-

Strengths: Ackerman has a good combination of size and skill. He stands a legitimate six-feet-eleven inches off the ground and has a sturdy frame that will support a good deal of additional muscle. Defensively, he projects as someone who will have the size and strength to be able to defend the block without help while showing the versatility to pull opposing big men away from the basket with his ability to shoot consistently to 15-18 feet. Ackerman catches in traffic, runs the floor fairly well in straight lines, and has developing dexterity around the rim.

Weaknesses:
Ackerman’s offense is still very much a work in progress. While he can step out and shoot, he isn’t much of a threat to score with his back to the basket and not overly bouncy finishing around the rim. Defensively, he is very limited laterally, can struggle to stay in front of face-up players from the short corner or the elbow, and also have a lot of problems attempting to hedge screens on the perimeter. Physically, Ackerman has a frame that has progressed but is still a long way away from completely filling out.

Bottom Line:
While Ackerman still has elements of his game that he must address and further develop before reaching the next level, players of his size and relative skill are in such high demand that he will undoubtedly be widely pursued by a variety of college programs.

It is nice that ED has plucked another 6’10+ player who may grow more before he suits up.

We are set with Centers? Sure PSU might be “set” with centers to fill a roster, but how good are these kids? PSU seems to continually target mid-major talent and the occasional Top 50 prospect where PSU doesn’t even come close to the final cut. Who knows if any of these 3 recruits even stick with their verbal if PSU has another mediocre at best season. :-\

The depth chart for 2011-12 looks very much like a mid-major team right now. :frowning:

[quote=“noobd, post:8, topic:1331”]From ESPN-

[quote]Strengths:
Ackerman has a good combination of size and skill. He stands a legitimate six-feet-eleven inches off the ground and has a sturdy frame that will support a good deal of additional muscle. Defensively, he projects as someone who will have the size and strength to be able to defend the block without help while showing the versatility to pull opposing big men away from the basket with his ability to shoot consistently to 15-18 feet. Ackerman catches in traffic, runs the floor fairly well in straight lines, and has developing dexterity around the rim.

Weaknesses:
Ackerman’s offense is still very much a work in progress. While he can step out and shoot, he isn’t much of a threat to score with his back to the basket and not overly bouncy finishing around the rim. Defensively, he is very limited laterally, can struggle to stay in front of face-up players from the short corner or the elbow, and also have a lot of problems attempting to hedge screens on the perimeter. Physically, Ackerman has a frame that has progressed but is still a long way away from completely filling out.

Bottom Line:
While Ackerman still has elements of his game that he must address and further develop before reaching the next level, players of his size and relative skill are in such high demand that he will undoubtedly be widely pursued by a variety of college programs.[/quote]

It is nice that ED has plucked another 6’10+ player who may grow more before he suits up.

We are set with Centers? Sure PSU might be “set” with centers to fill a roster, but how good are these kids? PSU seems to continually target mid-major talent and the occasional Top 50 prospect where PSU doesn’t even come close to the final cut. Who knows if any of these 3 recruits even stick with their verbal if PSU has another mediocre at best season. :-\

The depth chart for 2011-12 looks very much like a mid-major team right now. :([/quote]

I’d rather be a good mid major than a bad high major. :slight_smile:

And big guys are tough everywhere - even the top programs in the nation struggle finding great college centers, and we have a hard time getting those superstar power forwards that wind up at those big time programs instead.

That’s why I’m always more excited to hear about what a big guy can do defensively when we get them, rather than on offense. A shot blocker who gave you 4 points a game and stayed out of foul trouble is a lot more valuable to me than one who gave you 10 a game, foul trouble, and little defense.

From ESPN-
Strengths: Ackerman has a good combination of size and skill. He stands a legitimate six-feet-eleven inches off the ground and has a sturdy frame that will support a good deal of additional muscle. Defensively, he projects as someone who will have the size and strength to be able to defend the block without help while showing the versatility to pull opposing big men away from the basket with his ability to shoot consistently to 15-18 feet. Ackerman catches in traffic, runs the floor fairly well in straight lines, and has developing dexterity around the rim.

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
While Ackerman still has elements of his game that he must address and further develop before reaching the next level, players of his size and relative skill are in such high demand that he will undoubtedly be widely pursued by a variety of college programs.

The depth chart for 2011-12 looks very much like a mid-major team right now. :frowning:

I’d rather be a good mid major than a bad high major. :slight_smile:

And big guys are tough everywhere - even the top programs in the nation struggle finding great college centers, and we have a hard time getting those superstar power forwards that wind up at those big time programs instead.

That’s why I’m always more excited to hear about what a big guy can do defensively when we get them, rather than on offense. A shot blocker who gave you 4 points a game and stayed out of foul trouble is a lot more valuable to me than one who gave you 10 a game, foul trouble, and little defense.

This is especially true when you have a scoring point guard. We are a guard heavy team and it seems Ed likes it that way.

I think all any of us have wanted was a Calvin Booth clone who shuts things down in the paint.

He is now. Thanks.

BWI has an $$interview$$ up.

I was talking to someone last night who met with the kid during his visit on campus. He was very much impressed with the kid. My friend has talked to dozens of football and basketball recruits through the years and he said that Ackerman was the most impressive kid that he’s ever met during the recruiting process. Of course, that has nothing to do with how well he can play but I thought it was worth noting anyway.

Welcome to the family Patrick.

Where did you find that? That’s not my understanding.

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:9, topic:1331”]I’d rather be a good mid major than a bad high major. :slight_smile:

That’s why I’m always more excited to hear about what a big guy can do defensively when we get them, rather than on offense. A shot blocker who gave you 4 points a game and stayed out of foul trouble is a lot more valuable to me than one who gave you 10 a game, foul trouble, and little defense.[/quote]

• True, but the reality is that PSU is a “high major”, and a bad one at that. Its just disheartening to see that the majority of players that PSU is targeting (at least according to the 3 major recruiting services) have PSU listed among schools such as Rider, Monmouth, St Joes, etc. Maybe were all just delusional thinking that players of better quality than that would even want to come to PSU at this point. :-\

• No doubt about Ackerman’s height. “You can’t coach height”. Hopefully he develops into a nice compliment to Alexis, since Alexis is very likely the better player and they play the same position, in the same class.

• These types of players aren’t necessarily “negative” recruits, but PSU doesn’t have any major players in 2011-12 at this point (PSU still has this entire season to develop a star or two, though). Ackerman seems like a nice 10-15 minute situational player, not a B10 starting center.

There is still an entire senior season to go for these recruits, as well as the upcoming collegiate season for some players to emerge (Bowman, Buie, Frazier, Graham?).

[quote="tundra, post:4, topic:1331"]Looks like he is from Berlin, Maryland (PSU drive recruiting area.) But, he schools in NE.[/quote]

Right or wrong, I saw it too, on rivals. Doesn’t fit with other info.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/recruit-search-results

[quote="tundra, post:4, topic:1331"]Looks like he is from Berlin, Maryland (PSU drive recruiting area.) But, he schools in NE.[/quote]

There is a Worcester Prep School in Berlin Maryland.

Ackerman plays for Worcester Academy in Worcester MA.

Rivals obviously got their schools mixed up.

I'd rather be a good mid major than a bad high major. :)

• True, but the reality is that PSU is a “high major”, and a bad one at that. Its just disheartening to see that the majority of players that PSU is targeting (at least according to the 3 major recruiting services) have PSU listed among schools such as Rider, Monmouth, St Joes, etc. Maybe were all just delusional thinking that players of better quality than that would even want to come to PSU at this point. :-\

• No doubt about Ackerman’s height. “You can’t coach height”. Hopefully he develops into a nice compliment to Alexis, since Alexis is very likely the better player and they play the same position, in the same class.

• These types of players aren’t necessarily “negative” recruits, but PSU doesn’t have any major players in 2011-12 at this point (PSU still has this entire season to develop a star or two, though). Ackerman seems like a nice 10-15 minute situational player, not a B10 starting center.

There is still an entire senior season to go for these recruits, as well as the upcoming collegiate season for some players to emerge (Bowman, Buie, Frazier, Graham?).

noobd, though I’ve been critical of Ed on recruiting, this kid looks like a find. Big men are really tough to get. Nova recruited Ott, which I think is indicative of how tough it is. PSU will never get big guys who can play at KY, UNC, Duke, OSU. Ackerman looked to be recruited by Michigan, who BTW, also redshirted,Ben Cronin, from Syracuse NY, who isn’t that good. He’s 7’ and his team got beaten up by Buie led Maginn. So, it’s tough getting good big guys. People, like me, have been complaining about not getting big men, well, that doesn’t look true right now. To me, the guards look set, and now there’s 3 big men when Graham is included. IMO, wings(I still hate that word) are the easiest to get, guys 6’4" to 6’8" who can shoot some, and hopefully handle well enough to drive. With wings, yes, guys that can shoot great and can handle great should be unstoppable, but often it’s really weakness they have that limit them to the wing position. They can’t or won’t play inside, their handle is not good enough to beat their cover or even shoot off the dribble, and their shooting from the arc isn’t as good as the guards. So, they’re at wing due to weaknesses and/or size, not strengths.

Team will be young up front in '11/12, but experienced at guard, and, except for Frazier, have 3 seasons together. IMO, fast guards and a big front line best way to go.

There is a Worcester Prep School in Berlin Maryland.

Ackerman plays for Worcester Academy in Worcester MA.

Rivals obviously got their schools mixed up.

So he is from MA…??..well there goes by “driving distance” theory :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, I’m not really criticizing this particular recruit, but I thought this event resurfaced some feelings I had about recruiting. However, I don’t really see Ackerman getting minutes if Alexis is in the game. Better to have two giants than one I suppose!

Ackerman is an 81 on ESPN, which places him as the #49th center. Alexis is an 87 and #40. Not trying to make any point by these ratings, just putting them out there.

I see that not only did Ackerman play in the Gym Rat, but so did Peter Alexis and Trey Lewis. Here’s what they said about them, as they all made the all challenge team, which was more than 45 kids. In the past, after the MVP was chosen, the next several kids on the all challenge team were among the best in the group. In '05, Talor won MVP, but the top 14 kids or so included players now on G Tech, Xavier and Wisconsin(Trevon Hughes). It’s possible they rate the kids and list them accordingly. In '05, Melquan Bolding played with Talor, but made honorable mention in the tourney. Anyway, after the MVP, Ackerman was listed 2 spots down, or 3rd overall. Trey Lewis and Peter Alexis were 27th and 35th respectively. Not sure I’m right on this, but it could be possible. If so, Ackerman a potentially great pickup. Peter Alexis at 285 lbs? Wow.

Pat Ackerman (6-10 center) Middlesex Magic/Worcester Academy: Fundamentally sound legitimate big man who runs the floor well and hard consistently. Showed ability not only to finish well around the rim, but a nice jump-hook from the block and a smooth mid-range jumper. Rebounds well out of his area. Very skilled for his size, and will get better as body fills out. Many mid-majors showing interest.

Trey Lewis (6-1 point guard) DMF Huskies/Garfield Heights H.S.: Very quick, crafty point guard who can score in a variety of ways as well as run a team. He looks to get teammates involved, but can also score with anyone. Dribbles through zone defenses effectively to set up teammates. Also very effective in the open floor. Offers from Ivies Wisconsin, Bucknell and Northeastern.

Pete Alexis (6-11 center) Firm AC/ Holy Redeemer H.S.: Big, strong post with upside. A huge presence (285 pounds) who looks to have the ability for improvement. Does a great job of sealing and finishing. Effective with the ball on the block. Has huge feet. Changes the game with his size/bulk on both ends. Has committed to Penn State.