PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

New courtside seats

There will be 24 new courtside seats this season (12 at each end of the court) similar to the courtside seats that run along the south sideline. I’d have to guess that they will be the opposite side of the baskets from the dance team and cheerleaders. If your anxious to have a player land in your lap, I suppose it’s a good deal, but I’ve never been particularly fond of the view from there.

They should make them the new “fat cat” seating.

I am convinced this “under the basket seating” is a very DUMB idea! I was told last year that it worked out nicely for the globetrotters show, guess what , the globetrotters are not big ten basketball! The globetrotters will never dive for a loose ball or battle for rebounds. We have all seen photographers and cheerleaders get clobbered under the basket by some really big people while chasing down loose balls. so now they want to put fans in chairs there? I really hope that no players or fans get hurt. If it does happen The guy that decided that money talks and common sense walks will be held accountable.

Him/her…or the insurance. :wink:

I would expect to see foam crash barriers between the seats & the court. Ad space.

Hmmm… Maybe just put the “cage” back up. They are the “cagers” after all ;D

Just what the BJC needs – more seating capacity. Assuming the new seats will be occupied by fans that already attend games, this will result in an additional 15-20 empty seats.

I just received my letter describing this new seating “opportunity”. An upgrade to these seats will cost $440 per seat. I assume that is above and beyond what a season ticket holder has already paid.

;D :smiley:

The humor is in the common sense of that statement !

[quote="Bulldog, post:7, topic:1387"]Just what the BJC needs -- more seating capacity. Assuming the new seats will be occupied by fans that already attend games, this will result in an additional 15-20 empty seats.[/quote]

;D :smiley:

The humor is in the common sense of that statement !

Any minute now the administration will announce it’s “FILL THE BJC” plan. I sure hope it has something to do with the 40,000 students mostly within walking distance! :stuck_out_tongue:

OR…maybe all staff is busy “manning the phones” calling Lotto winners and begging for donations!

The letter really wasn’t clear on that. I took it to mean each seat would cost $440 total for the season, not an additional $440.

[quote="Bulldog, post:8, topic:1387"]I just received my letter describing this new seating "opportunity". An upgrade to these seats will cost $440 per seat. I assume that is above and beyond what a season ticket holder has already paid.[/quote]

The letter really wasn’t clear on that. I took it to mean each seat would cost $440 total for the season, not an additional $440.

I don’t have my letter with me right now, but I seem to recall the letter beginning with thanking me for renewing my season tickets. So, the AD knows that I have already put down that much money. That’s why I assumed that the $440 was above and beyond. But, what the hell do I know?

[quote="Bulldog, post:8, topic:1387"]I just received my letter describing this new seating "opportunity". An upgrade to these seats will cost $440 per seat. I assume that is above and beyond what a season ticket holder has already paid.[/quote]

I think this could be a stroke of genious…

I remember Lar talking about the “Fat Cats” who buy season tickets down low, thinking that they are helping the University via ticket revenues, but they never show up, hence the empyt seats that pollute the BJC.

Maybe, by doing this, the AD found a way around both issues. If you place regular chairs at courtside, and charge a premium price to the Fat Cats that don’t show up, you can just remove the empty seats by tip-off… WALA !!! 2 birds with one stone. No empty seats visible, PSU gets it’s money, everyone is happy !!!

I think for the hockey arena, PSU should consider something revolutionary. They should embed a light in every seat. The light would turn on when the related ticket gets scanned. That way, once the game starts, any seat with the light not lit would be available to anyone who wants to move closer to the ice. This prevents the fat cats from doing the same thing to hockey.

Okay, somewhat tongue in cheek there. But, find a better solution to this problem already. Track attendance for extra NLC points or something.

From teh initial study, it looks as if their target for fat cat seats are 500, plus 12, 12 seat suites for the ice rink.

[quote=“Skeeza, post:13, topic:1387”]I think this could be a stroke of genious…

I remember Lar talking about the “Fat Cats” who buy season tickets down low, thinking that they are helping the University via ticket revenues, but they never show up, hence the empyt seats that pollute the BJC.

Maybe, by doing this, the AD found a way around both issues. If you place regular chairs at courtside, and charge a premium price to the Fat Cats that don’t show up, you can just remove the empty seats by tip-off… WALA !!! 2 birds with one stone. No empty seats visible, PSU gets it’s money, everyone is happy !!![/quote]

This just hit me… Football has the same “fat cat” problem. How many people who buy the good seats at the beav actually sit in them? I would venture the number is much smaller than you think. The difference? Demand. All those “empty” seats get sold to someone who wants them. Many times, they’re sold in entire season ticket packages to a 2nd party by the person holding the premo seats. (This is partly the reson for the new donation policy… but that’s another discussion)

For hoops there just isn’t the secondary market to snap up these tickets since the demand isn’t high enough (or the supply low enough) so these people end up just eating the tickets instead, thus the empties.

Yes, many top football season tickets are given away or sold. BUT, I don’t see it as a “economic demand” issue. Many of these long standing fans have tickets in bunches (4, 6, 8, 10 or 12.) Things "happen with time within a family were members do not/are not able to attend. These tickets are then sold/given to home folks or taken to the statium for scrapping.
I have talked to many such long time fans.

Lar – your anxious?? YOUR losing your touch!! :wink: – RHDH

[quote="UncleLar, post:1, topic:1387"]There will be 24 new courtside seats this season (12 at each end of the court) similar to the courtside seats that run along the south sideline. I'd have to guess that they will be the opposite side of the baskets from the dance team and cheerleaders. If your anxious to have a player land in your lap, I suppose it's a good deal, but I've never been particularly fond of the view from there.[/quote]

At 2am, I’m lucky I can type, period, much less not wind up with a typo or two. ;D

[quote="UncleLar, post:1, topic:1387"]There will be 24 new courtside seats this season (12 at each end of the court) similar to the courtside seats that run along the south sideline. I'd have to guess that they will be the opposite side of the baskets from the dance team and cheerleaders. If your anxious to have a player land in your lap, I suppose it's a good deal, but I've never been particularly fond of the view from there.[/quote]

At 2am, I’m lucky I can type, period, much less not wind up with a typo or two. ;D

Someone has to keep you in line!! 8) – RHDH