PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

New Coach Discussion

Let’s talk about realistic new coaches, just throw them out for discussion - I have two that come top of mind:

Steve Donahue, Cornell - I really like this guy, completely turned around the Cornell program to compete for NCAA bids on a yearly basis. Seems to fit the PSU mold of doing things the right way. He was the recruiting coordinator under Dunphy at Penn for years.

Scott Drew, Baylor - Probably a tougher get for Curley. Took over a Baylor program which was in awful shape and turned it around. 3 of his first 4 classes were rated among the top 20 nationally!

Did Ed get fired or something?

[quote=“hoops19, post:1, topic:963”]Let’s talk about realistic new coaches, just throw them out for discussion - I have two that come top of mind:

Steve Donahue, Cornell - I really like this guy, completely turned around the Cornell program to compete for NCAA bids on a yearly basis. Seems to fit the PSU mold of doing things the right way. He was the recruiting coordinator under Dunphy at Penn for years.

Scott Drew, Baylor - Probably a tougher get for Curley. Took over a Baylor program which was in awful shape and turned it around. 3 of his first 4 classes were rated among the top 20 nationally![/quote]
Why would Drew leave a backwater Big 12 program for a backwater Big 10 program? I like him too but just don’t see him leaving a program with all the doors and windows on the house for one that still needs doors and windows.

[quote="hoops19, post:1, topic:963"]Let's talk about realistic new coaches, just throw them out for discussion - I have two that come top of mind:

Scott Drew, Baylor - Probably a tougher get for Curley. Took over a Baylor program which was in awful shape and turned it around. 3 of his first 4 classes were rated among the top 20 nationally![/quote]
Why would Drew leave a backwater Big 12 program for a backwater Big 10 program? I like him too but just don’t see him leaving a program with all the doors and windows on the house for one that still needs doors and windows.

Drew isn’t leaving Baylor for anywhere as he has one of the top rated centers coming in next year.

Its an open discussion forum - we can’t talk about this? Who made the rule that the coach has to be fired until we discuss? Give me a break - stay on the sidelines if you prefer, but please don’t tell me what to talk about.

???

I asked a question, just like you did.

Also, there is already a 14 page thread on this topic here.

My roommate and I have discussed the Cornell guy. Seems like a guy Penn State could get, and has done a lot with a little. The Baylor guy on the other hand, he would be nice, but I just don’t see him bailing on the team he’s worked so hard to take back from the brink.

[quote="hoops19, post:5, topic:963"]Its an open discussion forum - we can't talk about this? Who made the rule that the coach has to be fired until we discuss? Give me a break - stay on the sidelines if you prefer, but please don't tell me what to talk about.[/quote]

???

I asked a question, just like you did.

Also, there is already a 14 page thread on this topic here.

Nice try but give it up LP. It’s a hopeless cause. ::slight_smile:

My favorite coach in America Buzz Williams. He’s the charasnatic type we need. He’s into it for 40 minutes. Doubt he’d leave Marquette, but it’s just fun to watch his teams. Marquette wins simply by playing harder than the other team. They understand how to get the most out of their ability. They do it with little post presense, but man do they ever move the ball, with at least 4 guys that drill the 3 off the drive and kick.

Steve Donahue seems like the real deal. If I’m Curley - I am making that phone call ASAP. The most recent coaches who have made the leap from the Ivy league have been very successful. Dunphy with Temple and John Thompson III at G Town. People forget, G Town has a bunch of really down years before he came on board.

Listen ,you never know how the coach is going to fair at the next level. But my money would be on this guy. Make the call Mr. Curley!!!

I really don’t know how I feel about the next guy. If and when that is. For every Bill Self (Oral Robert, Tulse, Illinois, Kansas) their is a Billy Gillespie (UTEP, Texas A & M, Kentucky, Curb City USA). I look at the Lickleiter thread and that is a perfect example. Dr. Tom had a real good program at Iowa, not top flight but pretty solid (was in the shadow of Knight and Keady). Iowa thought they were more than they were and ran him off and now look at them.

[quote=“hoops19, post:10, topic:963”]Steve Donahue seems like the real deal. If I’m Curley - I am making that phone call ASAP. The most recent coaches who have made the leap from the Ivy league have been very successful. Dunphy with Temple and John Thompson III at G Town. People forget, G Town has a bunch of really down years before he came on board.

Listen ,you never know how the coach is going to fair at the next level. But my money would be on this guy. Make the call Mr. Curley!!![/quote]

No Ivy league… Need someone who coaches in a more competitive league.

I am not sure why you would use Billy Gillespie in this situation because one Kentucky expectations are beyond ridiculous that they only gave him two season to work with then they hired the scum of the basketball world and sold themselves to the devil. Gillespie has or had personal issues to work through but as a basketball coach I think he is still pretty good for about 90% of the other universities in USA.

Far as Donahue I guess I am not as high on him as some of you are mainly because he started winning when Penn and Princeton started to fall backwards because of departures of there head coaches Thompson III (Scott was there 1 year), and Dunphy from Penn. Yes making 3 straight NCAA is impressive but I am not sure if its a great coaching job or he took advantage of the situation.

[quote="jjepsu92, post:11, topic:963"]I really don't know how I feel about the next guy. If and when that is. For every Bill Self (Oral Robert, Tulse, Illinois, Kansas) their is a [b]Billy Gillespie (UTEP, Texas A & M, Kentucky, Curb City USA)[/b]. I look at the Lickleiter thread and that is a perfect example. Dr. Tom had a real good program at Iowa, not top flight but pretty solid (was in the shadow of Knight and Keady). Iowa thought they were more than they were and ran him off and now look at them.[/quote]

I am not sure why you would use Billy Gillespie in this situation because one Kentucky expectations are beyond ridiculous that they only gave him two season to work with then they hired the scum of the basketball world and sold themselves to the devil. Gillespie has or had personal issues to work through but as a basketball coach I think he is still pretty good for about 90% of the other universities in USA.

Far as Donahue I guess I am not as high on him as some of you are mainly because he started winning when Penn and Princeton started to fall backwards because of departures of there head coaches Thompson III (Scott was there 1 year), and Dunphy from Penn. Yes making 3 straight NCAA is impressive but I am not sure if its a great coaching job or he took advantage of the situation.

1. PSU is a lot like A & M. Good league could be a solid program. Gillespie left there to go to Kentucky.

2. Some of our fans don’t realize that we are more like A & M, but have the expectations that we are Kentucky.

[quote="jjepsu92, post:11, topic:963"]I really don't know how I feel about the next guy. If and when that is. For every Bill Self (Oral Robert, Tulse, Illinois, Kansas) their is a [b]Billy Gillespie (UTEP, Texas A & M, Kentucky, Curb City USA)[/b]. I look at the Lickleiter thread and that is a perfect example. Dr. Tom had a real good program at Iowa, not top flight but pretty solid (was in the shadow of Knight and Keady). Iowa thought they were more than they were and ran him off and now look at them.[/quote]

1. PSU is a lot like A & M. Good league could be a solid program. Gillespie left there to go to Kentucky.

2. Some of our fans don’t realize that we are more like A & M, but have the expectations that we are Kentucky.

You have GOT to be kiddin. 7 years and many board members don’t want Ed fired. Expectation like Kentucky…right.
The only school I can think of that has silimar expectations to PSU is Northwestern.

Maybe I am missing your point on Gillespie and Yes we are similar to A&M but Gillespie went there and had 3 20+ win season’s in 3 years there. I think Gillespie made a mistake going to Kentucky but what coach wouldn’t to coach at Kentucky and if you say did not then would be lying or just dumb so I cannot blame him for that one plus he wasn’t even close to there top choice for the job anyways. I think fans just want us to win and be competitive but I highly doubt many think we should have Kentucky expectations because not many fan bases have the expectations Kentucky has for there program. I think people see what Gillespie did at A&M and figure why can’t we have that here.

Maybe I am missing your point on Gillespie and Yes we are similar to A&M but Gillespie went there and had 3 20+ win season’s in 3 years there. I think Gillespie made a mistake going to Kentucky but what coach wouldn’t to coach at Kentucky and if you say did not then would be lying or just dumb so I cannot blame him for that one plus he wasn’t even close to there top choice for the job anyways. I think fans just want us to win and be competitive but I highly doubt many think we should have Kentucky expectations because not many fan bases have the expectations Kentucky has for there program. I think people see what Gillespie did at A&M and figure why can’t we have that here.

They want us to pay Coach Cal type money. If that ain’t thinking we are Kentucky I don’t know what is.

Mike Rice has made a nice, quick climb in coaching - St. Joe’s Asst -> Pitt Asst -> HC at Robert Morris. Probably still too “green” at this point for a job at the high major level but he is a name that will likely get mentioned for some good mid-major jobs. He is a very good recruiter with ties to Philly. He got a great freshman this from North Jersey. When I watch his teams I like what I see.

I don’t see the comparison to Billy G either. He has been successful at two schools, then made one NCAA tourney and one NIT appearance at UK and then got canned for various reasons. His personal problems are troublesome, but as a coach, I don’t understand how he is a case of something that didn’t work. If you are solely talking about his “lack of success” at UK…they also ran Tubby out of town. Ridiculous expectations at that school.

They want us to pay Coach Cal type money. If that ain’t thinking we are Kentucky I don’t know what is.

Who are “they”? The only names I see thrown around on this board are low-major/mid-major coaches who would probably take the job for much less than the ~$4 million a year Cal makes.

I want God as the next coach. Should be able to develop the big guys.