PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

New basketball Staff position?

Did we have an assistant DBO before? This was just posted internally this week.

Events Manager (Men’s Basketball Operations Assistant)
Work Unit: Intercollegiate Athletics, Men’s Basketball
Grade: 20
Type: Exempt

Serve as liaison with basketball support group. Coordinate film exchange with other institutions on a national level and with the Big Ten conference institutions. Assist with scheduling and implementing contract with opponents. Coordinate team travel and practice times. Facilitate on-campus housing and meal plans. Serve as liaison with the Academic Center for Student Athletes. Assist with camp management; organize coaching clinics, alumni weekends and other special events. Supervise student managers; interview, hire and train; coordinate equipment ordering and inventory with apparel companies. Liaison to program for ongoing renovations and ordering of furnishings/graphics. Assist with coordination, planning and logistics of the basketball highlight television shows with Sports Information and other production entities. Assist the Promotions and Marketing Departments with the basketball game day activities. Coordinate practice times and season schedule with the Bryce Jordan Center. Requires Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, plus two years of work-related experience. This is a fixed-term appointment funded from July 1, 2010 through June 30, 2011 with excellent possibility of re-funding.

This is a fixed-term appointment funded from July 1, 2010 through June 30, 2011 with excellent possibility of re-funding.

Wow, not a lot of job security.

That’s common language for a university job posting, especially for staff line jobs. However, head coaching positions don’t usually carry that phrase.

11 of 21 postings this week had similar wording

I know.

It just doesn’t give you a warm-fuzzy when the interviewer essentially says, “we think we may be able to pay you next year…”

[quote=“Skeeza, post:5, topic:1207”]I know.

It just doesn’t give you a warm-fuzzy when the interviewer essentially says, “we think we may be able to pay you next year…”[/quote]

IF IF IF we find a donor! ;D

[quote="Skeeza, post:5, topic:1207"]I know.

It just doesn’t give you a warm-fuzzy when the interviewer essentially says, “we think we may be able to pay you next year…”[/quote]

IF IF IF we find a donor! ;D

Dude, you stutter a lot. :wink:

I assume it means Jon Perry is leaving. I know he has had interviews recently.

You may be right, but I read the ad as seeking an assistant to Jon Perry, and I inferred it meant that Perry would be doing more on-the-floor coaching, regardless of his title.

To your point, Perry should be ready and would be professionally served by being pushed out of the DeChellis/Penn State nest.

[quote="psubball, post:8, topic:1207"]I assume it means Jon Perry is leaving. I know he has had interviews recently.[/quote]

You may be right, but I read the ad as seeking an assistant to Jon Perry, and I inferred it meant that Perry would be doing more on-the-floor coaching, regardless of his title.

To your point, Perry should be ready and would be professionally served by being pushed out of the DeChellis/Penn State nest.

Depends on how you look at it. He might be on the short list to be PSU’s next Head Coach.

No assistant for JP he is moving forward as an assistant coach on the DII level best of luck to him.

He’s going to Quincy University as an assistant coach.

[quote="psubball, post:8, topic:1207"]I assume it means Jon Perry is leaving. I know he has had interviews recently.[/quote]

That would be an NCAA violation.

Good for JP. I met him a couple of times and he’s a stand-up guy.

Best of luck to him at his new gig.

Quincy head coach Marty Bell was formerly an assistant to Kurt Kanaskie.

Quincy head coach Marty Bell was formerly an assistant to Kurt Kanaskie.

It was also where Nikola went to get his MBA and use up his last year of eligibility.

[quote=“Skeeza, post:5, topic:1207”]I know.

It’s standard operating procedure and anyone who applies for the position knows it, so they should get no fuzzies, warm or otherwise, from it. It’s meaningless.

Do you think Ben Luber, who has already indicated that he is on this career track, might be interested in applying?

I think Luber already has a D1 coaching position lined up so he might be reluctant to take a DOBO job here.

[quote="pmhewitt, post:18, topic:1207"]Do you think Ben Luber, who has already indicated that he is on this career track, might be interested in applying?[/quote]

I think Luber already has a D1 coaching position lined up so he might be reluctant to take a DOBO job here.

D1, really? Where? Did he even spend a season at Rider in his old job?