Never too early to start talking about next year's schedule

Here’s a good team (at least this year) that sounds like they’d come to PSU for 1 year and would definitely do a home and home. I’d like to see PSU go to there just to play on one of the coolest home courts in the NCAA.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/4905494/spiders-schedule-paying-dividends

a lot of schools, including us, post their wants on teh Basketball Travelers website.

Penn State University
Jon Perry
jdp14@psu.edu
PENN STATE IS LOOKING TO START A H/H SERIES ON THE ROAD NEXT SEASON. WE ARE LOOKING TO PLAY THE GAME ON 11/19, 11/20, OR 11/21. OTHER DATES COULD BE POSSIBLE. PLEASE CONTACE ME IF INTERESTED. Home & Home, 2010-2011
02/09/2010 - 9:48am

Penn State is still looking to fill 2 guarantee games for 2010-11 season. Competitive money. Many open dates. Please contact me if you are interesed in playing in State College next year. Thanks.
Guarantee - Offered, 2010-2011
11/08/2009 - 11:13am

Penn State is looking to start a H/H series with a High major/BCS school in 2010-11. We need to start the series at Penn State. We will return to you in 2011-12. Looking to play on Saturday December 4 or 11, 2010 at Penn State with the opportunity to have the game on ESPN/ESPN 2 possibly. Please contact me if interested.
Home & Home, 2010-2011
11/08/2009 - 11:13am

Interesting stuff on BB Traveler’s…

I think playing at UCLA would be great prior to the 76 Classic in Anaheim. It would also fill the request on BB Traveler’s about a H/H on 11/20.

Jones mentioned at halftime that Lehigh might be our home opener next year.

A quick glance shows that they are 18-10 right now (9-4 in the Patriot). They’re 199th in the Pomeroy ratings, and have an RPI SOS Impact of 110th (out of 347 teams. They lose 3 of their top 5 guys in terms of minutes, but they are the only 3 that they lose. Those 3 account for about 37% of their minutes. They appear to be a middle of the pack Patriot league squad, and we’ve certainly done a lot worse the last 4 years with our home opener. I’d be fine with this one to start the year.

[quote="manatree, post:4, topic:830"]Jones mentioned at halftime that Lehigh might be our home opener next year.[/quote]

A quick glance shows that they are 18-10 right now (9-4 in the Patriot). They’re 199th in the Pomeroy ratings, and have an RPI SOS Impact of 110th (out of 347 teams. They lose 3 of their top 5 guys in terms of minutes, but they are the only 3 that they lose. Those 3 account for about 37% of their minutes. They appear to be a middle of the pack Patriot league squad, and we’ve certainly done a lot worse the last 4 years with our home opener. I’d be fine with this one to start the year.

I have a gut feeling they might be one of the better teams we see. Ed is going to be scheduling to possibly save his job.

Honestly, I disagree. I think he’ll try to schedule to get us to the NCAAs. You’re not going to see them taking on a bunch of top notch teams, but I think he learned enough of a lesson last year to make a change. This year’s schedule, at least on paper back in October, was worlds better than last year.

I am wondering if the return trip to Virginia Tech will be on the schedule or will they move it back with the chance of playing in the 76 classic.

It will be on the schedule and we are in fact playing in the 76 Classic.

[quote="battlesway2, post:6, topic:830"]I have a gut feeling they might be one of the better teams we see. Ed is going to be scheduling to possibly save his job.[/quote]

Honestly, I disagree. I think he’ll try to schedule to get us to the NCAAs. You’re not going to see them taking on a bunch of top notch teams, but I think he learned enough of a lesson last year to make a change. This year’s schedule, at least on paper back in October, was worlds better than last year.

I don’t think the schedule can suck too badly…assume we play 12 non-conf games next year (like we did this year)…also assume in addition to the neutral court games in Anaheim, we play 2 true road games (like we did this year)…

I know these aren’t in stone but we already have half our games:

A - Virginia Tech
H - ACC/Big10 Challenge
N - 76 Classic
N - 76 Classic
N - 76 Classic
H - Lehigh

For the other six let’s start w/ what PSU is looking for on the BB Traveler’s website…that includes two more H/H series, one at home against a BCS team (I’d like to think Big East…WVU, Syracuse, GTown) and one on the road (I’m guessing an A-10 type team…Richmond, Temple, Duquense)…that leaves four filler games but I’m holding out hope one of those could be a neutral court game in upstate NY against Siena or BYU (see the previous thread). As stated numerous times, the filler games can’t be against RPI killers (Gardner Webb or UMBCO)…rather we need teams like Robert Morris or mid level Colonial Athletic teams.

I’ll be shocked if we don’t play @ Siena.

76 Classic Field:
Cal St.-Northridge
DePaul
Oklahoma St.
Penn State
Stanford
Tulsa
UNLV
Virginia Tech

@VT

anything else?

Okay here is relative looking at what we are looking at: Based off this years schedule as far as days
November
Friday 12- Lehigh-opener Home
Monday 15-Guarantee Game
Friday-Sun 19/20/21- looking for H/H away game (all of the alum will be in DC this weekend for football game so why not try to find a game down that way) George Mason, George Washington, Georgetown, just to name a few. if not make this @ Siena or N with BYU
Thurs-Sun 25-28- 76 Classic
December
Wednesday 1-ACC/BT challenge (my guesses are Miami, Virginia or Clemson)
Saturday 4- Looking for that High Major/BCS team (BE or A-10 would be what I am looking for)
Tuesday 7- Guarantee Game
Saturday 11- I would think this would be @ Virginia Tech if its on the schedule
Sat or Sun 17/18- Guarantee Game being its coming off of Finals
Slip a game before X-mas probably 21 or 22

[quote=“NGameday, post:12, topic:830”]76 Classic Field:
Cal St.-Northridge - 245
DePaul - 188
Oklahoma St. - 30
Penn State
Stanford - 140
Tulsa - 75
UNLV - 44
Virginia Tech - 48[/quote]

This will change based upon these teams leaving the % of their scoring as well as their final RPIs. However, the field is “solid” right now. Solid as in there aren’t really any bad teams besides Northridge and Depaul. Remember, PSU doesn’t need to play great teams, just not bad ones.

[quote=“NGameday, post:12, topic:830”]76 Classic Field:
Cal St.-Northridge- who cares if we play and lose to this team then we can kiss ncaa’s goodbye
DePaul- Will have a new coach
Oklahoma St.- one senior on the roster lose 13ppg
Penn State
Stanford-losing Ladry Fields top scorer but they have two top 100 freshmen coming in
Tulsa- lose top 2 scores one is C Jerome Jordan
UNLV-same team they have this year, lose no one of significance
Virginia Tech- same team we played this year

anything else?[/quote]

At least next season’s schedule should provide an idea of where Ed’s head is with regard to his chances of keeping his job next season.

If he schedules light, like last season, it could be believed he is doing so to try and get as many wins as possible to keep his job.

If he fills a schedule worthy of a potential tournament team, or at least a bubble team, it could be believed he feels the need to get to the NCAA to keep his job, W-L record be damned.

:-\

[quote=“Spike the Kool-Aid, post:16, topic:830”]If he fills a schedule worthy of a potential tournament team, or at least a bubble team, it could be believed he feels the need to get to the NCAA to keep his job, W-L record be damned.

:-[/quote]

I don’t really think that this is a fair conclusion. One could just as easily draw a conclusion that he learned his lesson and finally understands the type of schedule that will push a bubble team from the NIT to the NCAAs.

[quote="Spike the Kool-Aid, post:16, topic:830"]If he fills a schedule worthy of a potential tournament team, or at least a bubble team, it could be believed he feels the need to get to the NCAA to keep his job, W-L record be damned.

:-[/quote]

I don’t really think that this is a fair conclusion. One could just as easily draw a conclusion that he learned his lesson and finally understands the type of schedule that will push a bubble team from the NIT to the NCAAs.

Completely disagree. Spike is right - next year’s schedule is going to be a clear indicator of where ED’s head is at - whether he’s going for NIT or NCAA.

DJones is right. You guys here don’t want to admit it, but to be successful, we need a new coach. That’s why the two recent wins are to the long-term detriment of the program. In my view, its the worst thing that could have happened - it fulfills the prophecies of guys like Craftsy and frats who revel in close losses and arguing that we’re close. Delusional and childish views of the program in my view.

The only way this program gets better is to fire ED asap. No sense pussy footing around that fact.

It’s going to get very interesting as the season winds down. Extremely difficult to justify keeping Dechellis after a 2 or 3 win Big Ten season at this point.

PSU is a school which takes great pride in their athletic program. I’m shocked that we still have people on this board defending Dechellis. You can’t win as little as Dechellis has over 7 years and still have a job in the Big Ten. I think they probably keep him around for 2 sad reasons:

1- too expensive for buy out and hire new coach (only for PSU - not for every other Big Ten school)
2- Curley and crew not confident they could get their man if they fire Dechellis

[quote=“hoops19, post:19, topic:830”]It’s going to get very interesting as the season winds down. Extremely difficult to justify keeping Dechellis after a 2 or 3 win Big Ten season at this point.

PSU is a school which takes great pride in their athletic program. I’m shocked that we still have people on this board defending Dechellis. You can’t win as little as Dechellis has over 7 years and still have a job in the Big Ten. I think they probably keep him around for 2 sad reasons:

1- too expensive for buy out and hire new coach (only for PSU - not for every other Big Ten school)
2- Curley and crew not confident they could get their man if they fire Dechellis[/quote]Problem is they obvioulsy do not take great pride in their men’s :’( basketball program.