Need to Play Brooks and Jones 30 minutes each

ED needs to play Jones and Brooks 30 minutes each. I know this may sound crazy considering their recent play, but I think its for the best next season.

Jones and Brooks have the most talent, and while they may not be producing right now, I don’t see the benefit of further destroying their confidence. These are ED’s guys, and assuming next year is make it or break it for ED, he is going to sink or swim with them. We need them as heavy contributors next season.

Next year is ED’s pinnacle, so go out with there with his senior class. Make Jones and Brooks feel that they can be part of the solution and have ownership of the team. Right now they are being treated like scapegoats for the poor start.

How about a third option. Find a way to get both players playing at their potential.

They are not the “only” problem.
By the way, we out rebounded IU. We have out rebounded all 6 BigTen11 teams.

[quote=“tundra, post:3, topic:711”]They are not the “only” problem.
By the way, we out rebounded IU. We have out rebounded all 6 BigTen11 teams.[/quote]
That is one thing the Lions do well. That being said, it astounds me that the bigs have such poor point production, despite the number of offensive rebounds they get. Just look back at last night and remember how many times Ott cleaned up the offensive glass (off of a really bad miss at least twice) to score easy putbacks.

[quote=“FanofPSU, post:1, topic:711”]ED needs to play Jones and Brooks 30 minutes each. I know this may sound crazy considering their recent play, but I think its for the best next season.

Jones and Brooks have the most talent, and while they may not be producing right now, I don’t see the benefit of further destroying their confidence. These are ED’s guys, and assuming next year is make it or break it for ED, he is going to sink or swim with them. We need them as heavy contributors next season.

Next year is ED’s pinnacle, so go out with there with his senior class. Make Jones and Brooks feel that they can be part of the solution and have ownership of the team. Right now they are being treated like scapegoats for the poor start.[/quote]

This is an interesting thought no doubt. However, and this NEVER crossed my mind until the past week, Im not sure that this season hasn’t suddenly become Ed’s “pinnacle.” Lord knows this isn’t how I hoped it would work out but 0-7 and staring down the barrel of a tough stretch one has to wonder how much “leash” is left.

Last night was the first time all season I have seem an intent look of determination and fire on Jeff Brooks’ face. He came to play last night and it showed. He was a beast on the boards, the blocked shot he had was tremendous and he scored…even with his back to the basket, which KC must have loved. The problem is he needs to sustain that and bring every night, every minute, every possession. When he does that this team will improve dramatically. Drew is just in a funk right now, much like Jackson last year. He is playing hard, the results just aren’t there. His hands have never been the greatest and that is just amplified now every time he bobbles or misses a pass or rebound. I think he’ll get it back together eventually. At this point Ed needs to be more of a psychologist than a coach. It has nothing to do with plays, but getting these guys to believe in themselves again.