PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

NCAA Tournament

Kansas popped up in several of Kiernan’s models which came as a surprise to him. Maybe they should be a sleeper pick.

Kansas was my blind choice also, to my chagrin. Actually I hate my entire blind bracket.

I’ve gotten to the point where I have to balance my personal feelings for teams with what I think will actually happen in the bracket, and it’s never a good combination. But I figure it’s okay because you’re almost never going to win when you go with favorites. Sure, you’ll come close - but so many other people are taking the same teams that you have no margin for error.

If you, on the other hand, take some chances and knock some of the favorites out earlier (and one or two of these hit) you are going to make up a ton of ground despite lots of other misses early in the tournament. And it’s much more fun to root for the underdogs, too!

Just my opinion of course.

BracketScience is good stuff. ESPN Insider was publishing a bunch of his breakdowns every year there for awhile, not sure if they still do as my sub has expired.

Looking back, this has been an absolutely outstanding coaching job by Izzo.

His MSU team was is complete disarray at the end of last season and the beginning of this season.

Looking back at MSU at the beginning of the season, to look ahead and say they would have a #1 seed is unbelievable.

I think if I was asked the question as to who I thought the greatest pure college basketball “coach” ever was I’d find it hard not to answer Tom Izzo. He is one of my favorite people in sports and I am a Spartan fan again in this tourny. I don’t really have second favorite teams but I guess MSU is probably it if I did have one in basketball.

This might impact some brackets

http://www.suathletics.com/news/2012/3/13/MBB_0313122020.aspx

Syracuse University sophomore men's basketball center Fab Melo did not travel with the team to Pittsburgh, and will not take part in the NCAA Tournament due to an eligibility issue.

As a person who had Wisconsin beating Syracuse in the Sweet 16, that is fabulous news!

Yet he was eligible for the Big East tourney?

I’d prefer to look at this positively, despite the recent pandemonium surrounding Syracuse, that something has just recently come to light in the last four days.

[quote=“Tom, post:28, topic:3172”]Yet he was eligible for the Big East tourney?[/quote]Seems very odd. Ineligible after mid-terms??? If Syracuse had trimesters like tOSU it might make sense, but they are on semesters.

Seems very odd. Ineligible after mid-terms??? If Syracuse had trimesters like tOSU it might make sense, but they are on semesters.

Well, maybe Cuse finally is suspending those who fail drug tests :o :slight_smile:

Seems very odd. Ineligible after mid-terms??? If Syracuse had trimesters like tOSU it might make sense, but they are on semesters.

You can’t become academically ineligible by getting bad grades in the middle of a semester. You can however by dropping a class (I have no idea if this is what happen or not, just making a statement about the rules).

I saw on ESPN that the NCAA has re-visited his earlier academic suspension.

They’re doing it again!! Iona is beating up on BYU right now, so of course the morons calling the game are saying things like ‘well i guess this proves Iona deserved to be in’.

Your performance in the tournament has nothing to do with whether or not you deserved to be in. Everybody knows Iona has a lot of talent, so does Drexel and a bunch of other teams left out. If any of them play their A+ game they will do well on any given night. But whether you deserved to make the tournament or not has nothing to do with how you do once you’re there, the selection process is all about what you did in the regular season and conference tournaments.

I don’t get why that’s so hard to understand for these guys. I guess maybe they just have nothing else to talk about in 20 point game where Iona is on pace to score 140 points.

This is a ridiculous game though, for anybody watching. 55-31 with over 4 minutes left in the first half.

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:34, topic:3172”]They’re doing it again!! Iona is beating up on BYU right now, so of course the morons calling the game are saying things like ‘well i guess this proves Iona deserved to be in’.

Your performance in the tournament has nothing to do with whether or not you deserved to be in. [/quote]

Well, in an existential way it kind of does, doesn’t it?

[quote="Craftsy21, post:34, topic:3172"]They're doing it again!! Iona is beating up on BYU right now, so of course the morons calling the game are saying things like 'well i guess this proves Iona deserved to be in'.

Your performance in the tournament has nothing to do with whether or not you deserved to be in.[/quote]

Well, in an existential way it kind of does, doesn’t it?

lol okay, yes in a way completely separate from the selection process it does. But in terms of ‘deserving’ in the eyes of the committee, it means nothing. Their job is done, everything that happens after they set that bracket up has nothing to do with the process of choosing the teams that make up the field.

It’s a reward for what you accomplished during the regular season, not a measure of how much potential you have.

Otherwise they might as well just pick the bracket before the regular season is even played, because that’s what it comes down to.

Somehow BYU is hanging around in this one. Iona has gone ‘Cold’ the last few minutes.

A 49-possession first half. That was almost an entire B10 game shoved into 20 minutes. :smiley:

yeah really. where’s the Defense Craftsy?