PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

NCAA Reform (Was: Union Yes)

http://www.boston.com/2014/03/26/college-athletes-can-unionize-federal-agency-says-federal-agency-college-athletes-can-unionize/3ZkUV6M1TRqhaQD6PpAtGK/story.html

I mentioned this in the OT gone wild thread. Wonder when this “compensation” will start to get taxed.

I would guess the same day the universities pay taxes on the sport revenues!!!

[quote="mjg, post:2, topic:4155"]I mentioned this in the OT gone wild thread. Wonder [b]when this "compensation" will start to get taxed[/b][/quote]

All other AD “employees” pay taxes on their “compensation”. I’m not sure these players can have it both ways.

Don’t take it that I’m against their cause. I just feel like they might have opened a can of worms.

[quote="mjg, post:2, topic:4155"]I mentioned this in the OT gone wild thread. Wonder [b]when this "compensation" will start to get taxed[/b][/quote]

All other AD “employees” pay taxes on their “compensation”. I’m not sure these players can have it both ways.

Don’t take it that I’m against their cause. I just feel like they might have opened a can of worms.

Sure they can.

The students do not draw a “paycheck” for compensation like the people in the AD’s office.

What they receive is a benefit.
-Do you have to pay income taxes on the portion of your health care that your employer pays?
-Do people in the military have to pay income taxes on their housing and meals?

Why would the students have to pay for their housing, food, and education?

Sure they can.

The students do not draw a “paycheck” for compensation like the people in the AD’s office.

What they receive is a benefit.
-Do you have to pay income taxes on the portion of your health care that your employer pays?
-Do people in the military have to pay income taxes on their housing and meals?

Why would the students have to pay for their housing, food, and education?

Sounds like it could very well be taxable.

Paying taxes is the least of the worms in this can. Pretty exciting development. I love - love! - college sports and the connection it provides me to my alma mater, but there is little question in my mind that nothing of this sort (professional sports organizations peopled by a ton of athletes who would not have otherwise been admitted) belongs in an academic enterprise. Will be interesting to see how it works out.

I swear I posted the above before seeing Dave’s piece!:

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/03/how_is_northwestern_players_un.html

I’m not nearly smart enough to know what the solution is, but I think even a dummy like me can see that there is something not right with the current state of college athletics. I support these kids and hope this kind of thinking can make some real change in how college athletics work.

[quote="tjb, post:7, topic:4155"]Paying taxes is the least of the worms in this can. Pretty exciting development. I love - love! - college sports and the connection it provides me to my alma mater, but there is little question in my mind that nothing of this sort (professional sports organizations peopled by a ton of athletes who would not have otherwise been admitted) belongs in an academic enterprise. Will be interesting to see how it works out.[/quote]

I swear I posted the above before seeing Dave’s piece!:

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/03/how_is_northwestern_players_un.html

Jones hints at but does not directly address one of the fundamental reasons for the incredibly high level of resources associated with major college football and men’s basketball. Unlike pro baseball, pro football and basketball do not need to invest heavily in training and development of players because that service is provided by the major colleges. The college subsidy seems to be greatest for pro football.

Of course, the genie has been out of the bottle for a long time and won’t easily be put back in. But if most major colleges had admissions standards for athletes in football and men’s basketball that were not significantly different from their standards for the general student population, then pro football and basketball would need to invest in training and development for the guys they want out of high school, much like baseball.

That would of course lead to much less exciting college sporting events, and less revenue for colleges, but it would also significantly reduce the huge financial incentives that lead to so much of the abuse and corruption found in major college sports.

Then we can then expect challenges in federal appeals court and ultimately the Supreme Court if the case makes it that far. It just might. Such a process could take a year or two.

A year or two? It’d take a lot longer than that.

I’m sure the TitleIX folks will have a strong opinion of this, too.

I’m like tjb on this.

I love college sports, and if this runs it’s course, it has a chance of killing college sports as we know it.

But, I think greed has killed college sports long before this.

These kids have been given the shaft, they have been given the short end of the stick for far too long. They NEED something like this.

How many times have we heard about new NCAA regulations and rule changes where we say, “how does that HELP the student athlete”? Most decisions made by the NCAA and the colleges themselves are simply in the best interest of the school and the revenue streams, period.

Perhaps that will change.

If I were king of the world, the first change that I would make to the NCAA regulations would make it so that the number of hours of practice time per week (athlete) can not exceed the number of credit hours per week (student).

The part everyone’s blowing past is what these kids WANTED… which is healthcare expenses 20 years from now because they’re afraid they’re going to go nuts, or get ALS or something, from all the head trauma. The NFL players are slowly making headway into getting into the NFL’s pockets, but these kids, the majority of whom will never get access to that $$, want similar protections. And heaven knows, the NCAA has plenty of $$ too!!

This very much has the potential to be just another nail in the coffin for American Football as we know it s a sport.

[quote=“MarkH, post:14, topic:4155”]The part everyone’s blowing past is what these kids WANTED… which is healthcare expenses 20 years from now because they’re afraid they’re going to go nuts, or get ALS or something, from all the head trauma. The NFL players are slowly making headway into getting into the NFL’s pockets, but these kids, the majority of whom will never get access to that $$, want similar protections. And heaven knows, the NCAA has plenty of $$ too!!

This very much has the potential to be just another nail in the coffin for American Football as we know it s a sport.[/quote]
Exactly. I keep hearing people talk about compensation for the players and such, but when I read why they’re trying to unionize, it’s because they want healthcare.

[quote="MarkH, post:14, topic:4155"]The part everyone's blowing past is what these kids WANTED... which is healthcare expenses 20 years from now because they're afraid they're going to go nuts, or get ALS or something, from all the head trauma. The NFL players are slowly making headway into getting into the NFL's pockets, but these kids, the majority of whom will never get access to that $$, want similar protections. And heaven knows, the NCAA has plenty of $$ too!!

This very much has the potential to be just another nail in the coffin for American Football as we know it s a sport.[/quote]
Exactly. I keep hearing people talk about compensation for the players and such, but when I read why they’re trying to unionize, it’s because they want healthcare.

Even if it simply was for compensation, do you think anyone involved in the movement would say that it is for compensation? They are more media savvy than that. “It’s not about the money…”

[quote=“MarkH, post:14, topic:4155”]The part everyone’s blowing past is what these kids WANTED… which is healthcare expenses 20 years from now because they’re afraid they’re going to go nuts, or get ALS or something, from all the head trauma. The NFL players are slowly making headway into getting into the NFL’s pockets, but these kids, the majority of whom will never get access to that $$, want similar protections. And heaven knows, the NCAA has plenty of $$ too!!

If you’re concerned about life-long injuries, then don’t play.

[quote="MarkH, post:14, topic:4155"]The part everyone's blowing past is what these kids WANTED... which is healthcare expenses 20 years from now because they're afraid they're going to go nuts, or get ALS or something, from all the head trauma. The NFL players are slowly making headway into getting into the NFL's pockets, but these kids, the majority of whom will never get access to that $$, want similar protections. And heaven knows, the NCAA has plenty of $$ too!!

Great solution. Either agree to a crappy deal or don’t play at all. Nice.

Exactly.

And if you do play and get an injury, then you are simply out of luck. Meanwhile, the coaches and administators are raking in hundreds of thousands, and even millions of dollars per year. How about their risk of injury?

It not fair. Never has been. I hope something changes.

If it was such a crappy deal, then how come so many want it?