PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

NCAA reform ideas

A short piece on NCAA reform.

http://nyti.ms/oIEEua

I do think you have to penalize the programs, despite the collateral damage to the “innocents”. Programs that cheat to establish themselves at an elite level maintain the gains of that reputation leap far longer than the stain of penalties.

On a separate note, perhaps the lawyers among us could say if this is possible:

The NCAA is a voluntary organization. Could it require that all participating schools (and schools require of coaches in their coaching contracts) that they are subject to subpoena in the event of an investigation, and that penalties for violations carry with the coaching staffs as long as they do the school?

If the NCAA could compel testimony (about things that usually aren’t a violation of the law), they could get to the bottom of things.

The system is BROKEN, BROKEN and BROKEN. I don’t have a good idea what would work. I fact I think no system will work because the "concept " is non valid. I see the “concept” as Keep The Money Flowing…with NO regard to fairness of competetion!
They should change the organization name to the KTMF!

The only way to expect amateur athletics to continue or go back to being purely amateurs is to get the money out of the sports. Take it off television. The end.

Otherwise, it’s ridiculous to have this billion dollar industry continue to operate under the old rules. We are hanging onto it for all the wrong reasons anyways.

I think there is a way to punish the program without punishing the innocents.

Like anyone else, the ADs have projected budgets for the year. The punishment is having to pay, say, one year’s worth of your budget. BUT, you cannot make cuts or anything else to help ease the pain. So if you were planning on spending $50 million this year…you pay $50 million, and continue to exercise your budget as planned.

I’m not sure many school presidents would appreciate their otherwise profitable or nearly sustainable ADs to suddenly be begging for some cash from the academic coffers.

This could be a suggestion that works. Think about this scenario…Memphis (under coach Cal) gets put on three years probation, loses 2 scholarships and can’t play in the post-season for a year. Would Kentucky want coach Cal if they had to serve the same penalty? Would coach Cal be less likely to cheat if his career would take a hit if he gets caught? The reason coaches keep cheating, in my opinion, is because they keep getting rewarded for their results.

Didn’t Bruce Pearl just get hit with a penalty that’ll kick in if he ever coaches again?

Maybe, maybe not. What Pearl was hit with was a three year “show cause” penalty. It means that any school that wants to hire him over the next three years will have to appear before the NCAA and explain why. They will then have to agree to any further penalties that the NCAA might choose to hang on Pearl. However, the NCAA may or may not impose penalties. It’s not an out right ban on hiring Pearl (the NCAA can’t do that) but schools have been very reluctant to hire anyone who has a “show cause” penalty hanging over them. After three years though, the penalty is over and schools are free to hire him.

How about that if an athlete knowingly accepts improper benefits they lose their scholarship retroactively. Will you take a $200 “free” tatto if you know that if you are caught it’ll cost you $15k to repay your scholarship?

This is really just treating the symptoms. Should we go through a lot more measures to make sure these kids don’t get a few hundred bucks here and there, meanwhile the coaches and administrators are pulling in millions? Tressel is walking away with over $21 Million. Think about it, he has earned over 100,000 TIMES as much as the notorious tattoo.

The thing that causes this problem is the greed of the coaches and administrators at these programs. Therein should lay the answers. Gear the punishment towards the coaches and administrators, and you would have them more aware of these violations, I guarantee it !!!

If there is a major violation:

1.) The coach pays back his salary.
2.) The AD pays back a portion of their salary.

Although if you really wanted to do something about it, you would put the ADs and Coach’s salaries on a hard salary cap, much like the NBA.
If you are a Div-I school:

• If your Ath Dept is LOSING money, you can only pay the HC $500K
  • If your Ath Dept is BREAKING EVEN, you can pay the HC $750K
  • If your Ath Dept operates with a profit, you can pay the HC anything, but any amount over $1M is matched with a cap penalty that will go to an revenue sharing plan for all the NCAA programs.

…oh yeah, and REMOVE TEH TAX EXEMPT STATUS !!! It’s a crime that they can operate like that !!!

[quote=“Skeeza, post:9, topic:2631”]Although if you really wanted to do something about it, you would put the ADs and Coach’s salaries on a hard salary cap, much like the NBA.
If you are a Div-I school:

• If your Ath Dept is LOSING money, you can only pay the HC $500K
  • If your Ath Dept is BREAKING EVEN, you can pay the HC $750K
  • If your Ath Dept operates with a profit, you can pay the HC anything, but any amount over $1M is matched with a cap penalty that will go to an revenue sharing plan for all the NCAA programs.

…oh yeah, and REMOVE TEH TAX EXEMPT STATUS !!! It’s a crime that they can operate like that !!![/quote]This wouldn’t work. Schools would dump all of their sports teams that operate at a loss except for those that are needed to satisfy title 9 quotas.

[quote="Skeeza, post:9, topic:2631"]Although if you really wanted to do something about it, you would put the ADs and Coach's salaries on a hard salary cap, much like the NBA. If you are a Div-I school: - If your Ath Dept is LOSING money, you can only pay the HC $500K - If your Ath Dept is BREAKING EVEN, you can pay the HC $750K - If your Ath Dept operates with a profit, you can pay the HC anything, but any amount over $1M is matched with a cap penalty that will go to an revenue sharing plan for all the NCAA programs.

…oh yeah, and REMOVE TEH TAX EXEMPT STATUS !!! It’s a crime that they can operate like that !!![/quote]This wouldn’t work. Schools would dump all of their sports teams that operate at a loss except for those that are needed to satisfy title 9 quotas.

That’s why you make that part of the penalty…you cannot drop sports or otherwise drop funding for sports to get around the penalty.

Seriously folks…I’m sure the above ideas are well intended, BUT, they will not work. It’s kind of like the question “How do you cure American politics?”

The ONLY possible answer to each question would be to TAKE THE MONEY OUT OF IT! And…this is just not going to happen.

The NCAA lost the court case on restrictive earning coaches in Basketball. No way they’d be able to set a cap on coaches salaries.

[quote=“tundra, post:12, topic:2631”]Seriously folks…I’m sure the above ideas are well intended, BUT, they will not work. It’s kind of like the question “How do you cure American politics?”

The ONLY possible answer to each question would be to TAKE THE MONEY OUT OF IT! And…this is just not going to happen.[/quote]

Agree 100%.

Going after coaches and administrators is not going to stop boosters and rogue agents and such, who are 99% of the problem. It’s impossible to take care of all these types of people that have no real affiliation with your program as a head coach.

But more importantly, I think the fact that you can’t police this correctly goes to show just how screwed up the system is in the first place. You’re looking at a business that has no problem wanting to make billions of dollars as an industry, yet one that doesn’t want to be called a business. And that’s why they won’t take actions like a business to handle the inefficiencies in their industry. And probably why they will end up going under to some degree, just like the business they don’t want to admit they are.

The NPR peice was interesting in this little nugget: They talked about a Pic where Prez DS (don’t ask me to spell it…) was accepting a check from Shapiro for an athletic donation. SHE was free to take his $$ but when he tried to do the same thing for a player, it’s a big no-no. Kind of exposing the double-standard there.

There’s no way to take the money out of it. In my mind there’s only a few things they could do that would help:

1. Certify the agents and allow contact with those registered agents. No agent would break the rules for fear of being “uncertified”.
  2. Give the kids some cash. Not a lot, but enough that the temptation for $500 for an old jersey isn’t worth the risk… And everyone on scholarship gets the same amount.
  3. Make the peanlties for self-reporting small, but the peanlties for not reporting large. The schools need to have a reason to police themselves. The inconsistency of the NCAA rulings will cause the “tressel effect” where a coach will try to bury an issue because they don’t know what will happen if it comes to light.