PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

NCAA droughts

Just saw an interesting graphic on ESPN, but flipped over to the Northwestern game so I can’t rewind and get it, but here’s the guts of it.

Longest NCAA droughts in the Big Six conferences:

Northwestern: never
Oregon State: 1990
Rutgers: 1991
USF: 1992
Nebraska: 1998

I haven’t checked bracketology lately but isn’t Northwestern in good shape to break the drought? I know that Shurma recently become the career scoring leader for the Wildcats. Grats to him on that feat.

I wouldn’t necessarily say that they are in “good” shape, however they’d probably be on the right side of the bubble if the season ended today. A win tonight would be a big step for them.

They’re going to OT with Michigan right now. Pretty good game. Wild to see NW rebound. So many games against us over the years where they didn’t rebound at all.

Kind of pulling for NW to get in, but unless they beat PSU this weekend they have very little chance, so I am not really pulling for them.

NW ended up getting thumped in OT

I hope Northwestern makes it because it would be great for their school, help out their coach’s job security, an excellent experience for the players, and their fans deserve it after all these years of futility.

However, we are going to give them a game in the BJC, just like we have with everyone else this season.

NW’s only conference road win was at reeling Illinois. They even got plastered in Lincoln.

I’d be disappointed if PSU can’t win Saturday

Under Ralph Wilson Oregon State had powerhouse teams in the 80’s. 3 years in a row (80,81,82) they were no less than a #2 seed. If my memory is correct they spent a large part of those 3 years #1 in regular season pools.
Steve Johnson, Les Conner, A.C. Green and Gary Payton played in the 80s. Before that Lonnie Shelton and Mel Counts were star players.

Rutgers was always a tough out when I was a student back in the A-10 days. Hard to believe it’s been that long since they were in the Tourney.

1991 was our last year in the A-10, the year we won the conference and beat UCLA in the carrier dome. We’ve been to a few dances since then, changed conferences, and are now on coach #4 since that year. To think Rutgers hasn’t been back since then really boggles the mind.

Lunardi currently has NW as one of his last four IN. I think NW has a mighty row to hoe. IMO, they will need to make some noise in the tournament as we did last season. VERY, VERY doubtful that they could finish the regular season at .500. Realistically, with two road games (PSU & Iowa) and a home contest vs. tOSU, they will be fortunate to win one. That would put their Big 10 record at 7 – 11. Without a deep run in the tournament, I believe they would be on the outside looking in.

I’ll be bummed if they don’t make it. I want to win Saturday, but I’ll even be a little bummed if we are the ones who end up taking them out.

The thing they have going for them right now is that they have a servicable RPI and have no bad losses. Their worst losses are a home loss to Illinois (which does look worse and worse) and a road loss at Minnesota (they also got swept by Purdue). PSU and Iowa are RPI 133 and 136, so either would be their worst loss of the year, and would really hurt them. If they can go 2-1 and avoid a first round upset in the BTT, they are probably in (though it would make them 5-13 against teams inside the top 100, which certainly isn’t a good place to be on Selection Sunday, then again they have to take somebody). But dropping one to PSU or Iowa might mean that they have to spring an upset in the BTT.

Thank you :slight_smile:

Illinois looked like a different team last night than the one it had a month or so ago. Although anyone can go into Columbus and get stomped, so maybe it’s just the perception that the Illini are reeling. In either case, this is one reason why eyeballs are useful in the selection room. If the Illini continue to slide, the loss to them when they were playing well shouldn’t register as a ‘bad loss’ because of the way they were playing weeks later.

[quote="frats, post:13, topic:3106"]The thing they have going for them right now is that they have a servicable RPI and have no bad losses. Their worst losses are a home loss to Illinois (which does look worse and worse) and a road loss at Minnesota (they also got swept by Purdue). PSU and Iowa are RPI 133 and 136, so either would be their worst loss of the year, and would really hurt them. If they can go 2-1 and avoid a first round upset in the BTT, they are probably in (though it would make them 5-13 against teams inside the top 100, which certainly isn't a good place to be on Selection Sunday, then again they have to take somebody). But dropping one to PSU or Iowa might mean that they have to spring an upset in the BTT.[/quote]

Illinois looked like a different team last night than the one it had a month or so ago. Although anyone can go into Columbus and get stomped, so maybe it’s just the perception that the Illini are reeling. In either case, this is one reason why eyeballs are useful in the selection room. If the Illini continue to slide, the loss to them when they were playing well shouldn’t register as a ‘bad loss’ because of the way they were playing weeks later.

Wow…I was getting ready to post what you just did, Tim. Very well put.

There has to be some way to accurately show some losses aren’t as bad as they look because a team falls off at the end of the year.

A win over a team with a winning record who has lost 8 of it’s previous 9 should be viewed lesser than a win over a team who’s won 6 straight home games even with a losing record.

At least it makes sense to me, maybe not to others.

Concerning droughts in basketball-Steve Jones mentioned last week that Clemson at North Carolina is 0-56 lifetime. Probably a hard record to beat if Steve is correct.

Vanderbilt at Kentucky is something similar.

Correction: I looked it up and it’s not even close. Vandy is 19-80 in Lexington (I’m guessing the record that I’m thinking of is just in Rupp Arena not Lexington).

Double correction: Vandy says they are 19-80 in Lexington. Kentucky says that they are 74-14 in Lexington against Vandy. Don’t know who’s right and can’t find the Rupp Arena stat.