PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

NCAA Attendance Numbers (Penn State - 70th)

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/bdf2030046a3609298bddcc110a6426c/2011_NCAA_mens_basketball_attendance.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=bdf2030046a3609298bddcc110a6426c

Discuss.

In 2010, we were actually 62nd with an average attendance of 8,150. I know a lot of people got turned off by 09-10 and the non-conf start to 10-11, but to have avarage attendance drop by almost 700 in a year they finished 4th in the conference, played in the conference tournament finals, and made the NCAA tournament says a lot about our fan base.

Happy Valley will never be a basketball town. I have no data to support such a claim, but it feels to me like a good part of our true fanbase lives outside of the 20 minute drive to the BJC.

You might be correct about the present fan base…BUT only because we have NOT attracted the 40,000 students, mostly within walking distance!

Well at least we aren’t worse than 70th. I can understand that it might be difficult for some students to go to the games during the week, but weekends should be packed. My first few years at Penn State I didn’t go to many games, but in my Senior I went to most of the home games. I might actually be part of the 700 people drop from last season. I would love to go to more Penn State hoops games, but I’m just too far.

Yeah but all that happened at the end of the season. What set the early tone for attendance was two ugly losses to Maryland and Maine.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:3, topic:2342"]Happy Valley will never be a basketball town. I have no data to support such a claim, but it feels to me like a[b] good part of our true fanbase lives outside of the 20 minute drive to the BJC.[/quote][/b] You might be correct about the present fan base...............BUT only because we have NOT attracted the 40,000 students, mostly within walking distance!

I wouldn’t say most are walking distance… maybe half, and I would also question just what it would take TO attract them. Are they only going to show up if we’re nationally ranked? Do we really want such fans in the first place? I’d rather have a half full building of passionate, noisy fans than a full house that’s half filled with kids who don’t give a crap.

If two of the last 3 seasons were very solid and we still struggled to get butts in the seats… if we couldn’t even sell out Talor Battle’s last home game. I don’t know what it would actually take to do so consistently up here.

Craftsy…I see your point. BUT…it can be done. Why don’t we look at other schools who have successful fan bases (including students.)
Maybe hire some of their athletic department people…or maybe yet why don’t we consider hiring a HC without PSU vision.
How many HCs have we had since we opened the BJC??..What are the coaches backgrounds??..don’t answer…it will make me cry!

The RIGHT GUY with THE RIGHT personality could awaken this SLEEPING GIANT. 12 months ago we could have had Mike Rice. I think he could have been THE RIGHT GUY. Is he the ONLY one?? NOT at all. But maybe we should curtail this discussion for 5 years…when PSU may be searching for a another HC.

didn’t we have a bunch of games with bad weather this year? They prevent people like me from driving 90 miles each way.

Nebraska came in a surprising 7th in the BIG XII and 46th overall. This from a program that many consider to be down and out.

They may be a better get for our conference in basketball than many give them credit for.

Another item of note, the BIG TEN had 6 of the top 17 schools. There is a HUGE gap between the ‘haves’ and the ‘have nots’. Michigan is BIG TEN’s 9th ranked school, and 37th overall. Penn State and Northwestern and the have-nots, with Penn State at 70 and Northwestern being unranked in the top 100 !!!

BTW, Nebraska’s 7th place finish in the BIG XII would have them finishing 10th in the BIG TEN.

[quote=“Skeeza, post:10, topic:2342”]Nebraska came in a surprising 7th in the BIG XII and 46th overall. This from a program that many consider to be down and out.

They may be a better get for our conference in basketball than many give them credit for.

Another item of note, the BIG TEN had 6 of the top 17 schools. There is a HUGE gap between the ‘haves’ and the ‘have nots’. Michigan is BIG TEN’s 9th ranked school, and 37th overall. Penn State and Northwestern and the have-nots, with Penn State at 70 and Northwestern being unranked in the top 100 !!!

BTW, Nebraska’s 7th place finish in the BIG XII would have them finishing 10th in the BIG TEN.[/quote]

The population of Lincoln, NE is over 250,000. Considerably larger than State College.

[quote=“tundra, post:8, topic:2342”]Craftsy…I see your point. BUT…it can be done. Why don’t we look at other schools who have successful fan bases (including students.)
Maybe hire some of their athletic department people…or maybe yet why don’t we consider hiring a HC without PSU vision.
How many HCs have we had since we opened the BJC??..What are the coaches backgrounds??..don’t answer…it will make me cry!

The RIGHT GUY with THE RIGHT personality could awaken this SLEEPING GIANT. 12 months ago we could have had Mike Rice. I think he could have been THE RIGHT GUY. Is he the ONLY one?? NOT at all. But maybe we should curtail this discussion for 5 years…when PSU may be searching for a another HC. [/quote]

There are MAYBE 100 people in centre county that could tell you who Mike Rice is right now. Sleeping giant? Please. There’s nothing to suggest that any coach could change the culture around here without being a consistent winner FIRST, and even then it will always take a backseat to football and wrestling to a lesser extent. There’s only so many people in this area, with so much time on their hands to spend following sports.

Do i wish it were different? Of course! But let’s stop pretending like there’s some big mystery here. People don’t care about basketball in this area, period. You can see it from the youth levels all the way up to PSU - you have to drive a few hours in every direction to find a real consistent high school program in basketball. Just bringing in somebody else to coach the team isn’t going to do all that much. You need to win for people to give a crap (and unfortunately we won’t commit to winning from the AD’s POV until more people care). So you just need to keep being patient, old buddy. Anybody we bring in is going to need lots of time to build, cuz we ain’t landing a huge name big salary type of guy in your lifetime. :wink:

[quote="tundra, post:8, topic:2342"]Craftsy..........I see your point. BUT...............it can be done. Why don't we look at other schools who have successful fan bases (including students.) Maybe hire some of their athletic department people......or maybe yet why don't we consider hiring a HC without PSU vision. How many HCs have we had since we opened the BJC??........What are the coaches backgrounds??...........don't answer...it will make me cry!

The RIGHT GUY with THE RIGHT personality could awaken this SLEEPING GIANT. 12 months ago we could have had Mike Rice. I think he could have been THE RIGHT GUY. Is he the ONLY one?? NOT at all. But maybe we should curtail this discussion for 5 years…when PSU may be searching for a another HC.[/quote]

There are MAYBE 100 people in centre county that could tell you who Mike Rice is right now. Sleeping giant? Please. There’s nothing to suggest that any coach could change the culture around here without being a consistent winner FIRST, and even then it will always take a backseat to football and wrestling to a lesser extent. There’s only so many people in this area, with so much time on their hands to spend following sports.

Do i wish it were different? Of course! But let’s stop pretending like there’s some big mystery here. People don’t care about basketball in this area, period. You can see it from the youth levels all the way up to PSU - you have to drive a few hours in every direction to find a real consistent high school program in basketball. Just bringing in somebody else to coach the team isn’t going to do all that much. You need to win for people to give a crap (and unfortunately we won’t commit to winning from the AD’s POV until more people care). So you just need to keep being patient, old buddy. Anybody we bring in is going to need lots of time to build, cuz we ain’t landing a huge name big salary type of guy in your lifetime. :wink:

Talk about a Catch 22…

[quote="tundra, post:8, topic:2342"]Craftsy..........I see your point. BUT...............it can be done. Why don't we look at other schools who have successful fan bases (including students.) Maybe hire some of their athletic department people......or maybe yet why don't we consider hiring a HC without PSU vision. How many HCs have we had since we opened the BJC??........What are the coaches backgrounds??...........don't answer...it will make me cry!

The RIGHT GUY with THE RIGHT personality could awaken this SLEEPING GIANT. 12 months ago we could have had Mike Rice. I think he could have been THE RIGHT GUY. Is he the ONLY one?? NOT at all. But maybe we should curtail this discussion for 5 years…when PSU may be searching for a another HC.[/quote]

I don’t know why people still don’t think ED can get it done here. It’s taken some time to get where we are. And it will take some time to make the next step too. But anyone who can’t see the progress he’s made is either stubborn or blind. Our roster for the 2013-14 season will be the same as this coming season – minus Frazier and Woodyard (barring transfers or injuries). So this season begins a new cycle of progress. In my opinion, putting rosters side by side and ignoring hindsight, I’d say our roster in 3 years will be a good bit better than the roster we just went to the dance with. Or, maybe I’m just nuts.

I don’t know why people still don’t think ED can get it done here. It’s taken some time to get where we are. And it will take some time to make the next step too. But anyone who can’t see the progress he’s made is either stubborn or blind. Our roster for the 2013-14 season will be the same as this coming season – minus Frazier and Woodyard (barring transfers or injuries). So this season begins a new cycle of progress. In my opinion, putting rosters side by side and ignoring hindsight, I’d say our roster in 3 years will be a good bit better than the roster we just went to the dance with. Or, maybe I’m just nuts.

I guess it depends on how people define "getting it done " :-\

Having Michigan State and Illinois as home games over winter break couldn’t have helped - in 2008/9, only the Purdue game was over winter break.

Any game on a weekday instead of weekend is going to have a disproportionately deleterious effect on attendance at PSU due to the two-day-camping-trip factor.

We can call up a similar thread from ten years ago and it will be the same talk about Penn State basketball. And in 2021, same talk.

Until the BJC becomes the place to be seen (as Beaver Stadium is) we’ll have to just get used to being 10th, now 11th, in the Big Ten in attendance. If anything, I have to applaud the job ED has done to put a winner on the court despite this lack of support from the students. Just curious, what was our attendance in 1996? Didn’t they sell out the BJC many times over that season? So it theoretically can be done.

As for Nebraska, not only is Lincoln a small city, but Omaha is not that far down the road. And, Nebraska is the only big time sports program in the entire state, so if people in Omaha want to get a taste of the “big time”, then they have to go to Lincoln to get their fill.

It’s good to see Central PA represented in the Div-III ranks.

3 Central PA teams made the Div-III TOP 30: York College, Messiah, and Franklin & Marshall

[quote=“Skeeza, post:18, topic:2342”]It’s good to see Central PA represented in the Div-III ranks.

3 Central PA teams made the Div-III TOP 30: York College, Messiah, and Franklin & Marshall[/quote]

Yes, good to see. But, I would bet most of the attendance was students!! For the life of me I can’t understand why posters don’t expect students to attend PSU hoop games…

[quote="Skeeza, post:18, topic:2342"]It's good to see Central PA represented in the Div-III ranks.

3 Central PA teams made the Div-III TOP 30: York College, Messiah, and Franklin & Marshall[/quote]

Yes, good to see. But, I would bet most of the attendance was students!! For the life of me I can’t understand why posters don’t expect students to attend PSU hoop games…

I was at a F&M game a few years ago on a week night and the crowd that night anyway was mostly adults.