NBA Free Agent Signings

Nothing huge yet…I thought I would start a thread. Should be a lot of big news in the next couple of days.

OT: The NHL free agent frenzy is over. Just waiting for the finalization of Kovalchuk signing with my Devils :slight_smile: Its always fun on July 1st to track all the free agents and trades - just like the trade deadline. Twitter has made these days so much more precise.

PS - Kovy is pretty much the Lebron of UFAs.

I like Kovy but I’d rather the Flyers pick up Bobby Ryan. Has been a fun FA period so far

Flyers loaded up on blue liners (defense got them to this year’s finals). They will be a contender.

I could have read your post wrong, but it sounded like you were inferring the Flyers are going after Kovy and Ryan and that you’d rather have Ryan. Or were you just saying you’d rather have Ryan over Kovy if you had a choice? Because Kovy is pretty much signing with the Devils, the KHL or some surprise team we haven’t heard about (very unlikely).

Devils: 90%
KHL: 9%
Other team: 1%

[quote=“noobd, post:4, topic:1250”]Flyers loaded up on blue liners (defense got them to this year’s finals). They will be a contender.

I could have read your post wrong, but it sounded like you were inferring the Flyers are going after Kovy and Ryan and that you’d rather have Ryan. Or were you just saying you’d rather have Ryan over Kovy if you had a choice? Because Kovy is pretty much signing with the Devils, the KHL or some surprise team we haven’t heard about (very unlikely).

Other team: 1%[/quote]

Flyers don’t have enough cap room to make a run at Kovy – unless they have some trades lined up. Kovy is staying with the Devils unless something comes out of nowhere.

I hear the Flyers are trying to trade Gagne. Good move if they can get anything for him. He’s good when he isn’t hurt. But he has a lot of wear and tear on him already.

Pens also loaded up on blue liners (grabbed Martin from your Devils ;D).

[quote="noobd, post:4, topic:1250"]Flyers loaded up on blue liners (defense got them to this year's finals). They will be a contender.

Other team: 1%[/quote]

Flyers don’t have enough cap room to make a run at Kovy – unless they have some trades lined up. Kovy is staying with the Devils unless something comes out of nowhere.

I hear the Flyers are trying to trade Gagne. Good move if they can get anything for him. He’s good when he isn’t hurt. But he has a lot of wear and tear on him already.

Pens also loaded up on blue liners (grabbed Martin from your Devils ;D).

Yea the Flyers don’t have the cap space to pick him up. I’m not sure I would open up 10million just for a single guy. The Bobby Ryan comment was in regards to the talks the Flyers had with him and Kovy. I don’t think Ryan will resign with the Ducks and I fully expect the Devils to sign Kovy. I’m happy with the moves the Flyers have made this offseason, they needed about 1 more d-man and they picked one up. I have no problem giving Leighton the offseason to work on his stuff, I don’t think dropping a lot of money on Nabokov or Turco is an automatic improvement. Maybe Turco more than Nabokov. I’d rather see them invest in a younger Leighton than go out and get a goalie for the sake of getting a goalie.

Regardless I was be very sad the day Gagne finally leaves town.

Screw the NBA, lets hi jack this thread since the NHL is better! :smiley:

Gagne is a 5mil~ cap hit. If they move him I would assume the Flyers would try to get a goalie? OR two 2 mil type forwards.

Martin was likely given a slightly smaller contract by the Devils. From interviews it seems like Lou (Lamoriello) 1) didn’t give Martin the same size contract or 2) didn’t offer him at all. He said something to the extent of “I didn’t get much from Lou”. In the end, the Devil’s are a better team since they used Martin’s cap space to sign 2 defenders (Tallinder and Volchenkov) as well as re-sign Kovy. Heck, the blue line is arguably even or a little better since Tallinder is nearly as good as Martin (puck mover) and Volchenkov is a heavy hitter that the Devils haven’t had since Stevens.

Devils, Penguins and Flyers will all be pretty good next season. Rangers will be worse than usual and Islanders will be a little better than the Rangers… I hope. The Islanders have 28mil~ in cap space… no one wants to play there :frowning:

Edit: Gameday, Kovy wont be a 10 million cap hit. He’ll be around 8 to 8 1/2.

[quote=“noobd, post:7, topic:1250”]Screw the NBA, lets hi jack this thread since the NHL is better! :smiley:

Gagne is a 5mil~ cap hit. If they move him I would assume the Flyers would try to get a goalie? OR two 2 mil type forwards.

Martin was likely given a slightly smaller contract by the Devils. From interviews it seems like Lou (Lamoriello) 1) didn’t give Martin the same size contract or 2) didn’t offer him at all. He said something to the extent of “I didn’t get much from Lou”. In the end, the Devil’s are a better team since they used Martin’s cap space to sign 2 defenders (Tallinder and Volchenkov) as well as re-sign Kovy. Heck, the blue line is arguably even or a little better since Tallinder is nearly as good as Martin (puck mover) and Volchenkov is a heavy hitter that the Devils haven’t had since Stevens.

Devils, Penguins and Flyers will all be pretty good next season. Rangers will be worse than usual and Islanders will be a little better than the Rangers… I hope. The Islanders have 28mil~ in cap space… no one wants to play there :frowning:

Edit: Gameday, Kovy wont be a 10 million cap hit. He’ll be around 8 to 8 1/2.[/quote]

I’ll have to respectfully disagree about Volchenkov. He might be a heavy hitter. But heavy hitter does not equal good defense. He gets out of position too often trying for the big hit. You will miss Martin. He plays well at both ends. Not as familiar with Tallinder though. So maybe the Devils did improve. The thing you have going against you is that one of these years Brodeur will no longer be able to produce like he has his entire career. The guy has been THE NJ franchise for years.

[quote=“noobd, post:7, topic:1250”]Screw the NBA, lets hi jack this thread since the NHL is better! :smiley:

Edit: Gameday, Kovy wont be a 10 million cap hit. He’ll be around 8 to 8 1/2.[/quote]

My guess is they’ll use the space for a goalie if they can, or like you said pick up a forward. I doubt that they’ll just trade him for something simple, but I’ve seen them suprise me before. I’m interested to see how the Devils play with their new coach, and with the Goaltending the Rangers have and location it always suprises me they don’t do better than they have as of late. I hate Sean Avery but they aren’t a “bad” team skill level wise. They just always seem to be not quite good enough.

Martin is nicknamed “The Glass Man” by Devils fans after what happened last season. He is really good with his stick and moves the puck well. His shot isn’t special and he can’t hit. He is a #2 D-Man at best, more of a good #3 (on the second pairing).

Sure he will be missed, but he barely even played last year because of a fractured arm…??? I might rather have a stout Volchenkov and Tallinder than Martin. This season will show me. The Devils are still lacking a #1 PMD unless their prospect Urbom steps up and Andy Greene continues to improve - then they have 2 solid PMD. Greene played very well (even better than Martin) for most of last season - he was a huge surprise. He is basically a Martin clone + a few inches & lbs.

The Devils also have Salmela (was hit from behind after a beautiful goal against the Flyers) who looked really good until the injury. He isn’t anything more than a #2 or #3 PMD though.

Looks like the thread (NBA FA Signings) has been hi-jacked!? But, go for it. The board has been slow. Besides, ICE hockey is almost as much fun as the ICE capades! :smiley:

The NHL free agent market has seen some action. Other than Joe Johnson, nothing significant has happened in the NBA. The NBA should look at the NHL’s CBA when negotiations open up again. I think they could learn something.

Maybe you could change the name of the thread? I keep thinking something is being posted about the NBA.

You could name it the “NBA/NHL Free Agent Signing” thread?

Bosh and Wade to the Heat…??

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5360134

LeBron has a 1 hour Special on ESPN tomorrow to announce his decision.

Does anyone else think that it’s a bit over the top?

[quote=“Skeeza, post:16, topic:1250”]LeBron has a 1 hour Special on ESPN tomorrow to announce his decision.

Does anyone else think that it’s a bit over the top?[/quote]

no, but 2 hours would be

[quote=“Skeeza, post:16, topic:1250”]LeBron has a 1 hour Special on ESPN tomorrow to announce his decision.

The sound you hear is Brett Farves head exploding

[quote="Skeeza, post:16, topic:1250"]LeBron has a 1 hour Special on ESPN tomorrow to announce his decision.

The sound you hear is Brett Farves head exploding

:smiley:

Get over yourself!

Wade and Bosh say “it’s so.”

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5360911