NBA Draft

is tonight. I thought I would start a thread.

NBA is a funny business. In reading mock drafts, etc I keep hearing that 23 years olds can be considered too old. Funny.
I think what that means is that kids like W. Johnson and the tOSU kid (both 23) may be limited in their upside.
NBA likes “potential” more than “finished” players many times.
Of course, “potential” get a lot of coaches fired. But that is not a concern of the NBA management.
NBA is about 3 things:

1. Signing “upside” players to HUGE long term contracts
  2. Then working like heck to dump your HUGE long term contract players on other teams
  3. Then signing more players to HUGE long term contracts

Like I said…it’s a “FUNNY” business.

[quote=“tundra, post:2, topic:1240”]NBA is a funny business. In reading mock drafts, etc I keep hearing that 23 years olds can be considered too old. Funny.
I think what that means is that kids like W. Johnson and the tOSU kid (both 23) may be limited in their upside.
NBA likes “potential” more than “finished” players many times.
Of course, “potential” get a lot of coaches fired. But that is not a concern of the NBA management.
NBA is about 3 things:

1. Signing “upside” players to HUGE long term contracts
  2. Then working like heck to dump your HUGE long term contract players on other teams
  3. Then signing more players to HUGE long term contracts

Like I said…it’s a “FUNNY” business. [/quote] If you are talking about James Anderson or Evan Turner as tOSU kid both are only 21. I’m hoping my sixers are smart and draft Turner. Hopefully they can use Iggy to move back into the 1st round somewhere to get a frontcourt player.

[quote="tundra, post:2, topic:1240"]NBA is a funny business. In reading mock drafts, etc I keep hearing that 23 years olds can be considered too old. Funny. I think what that means is that kids like W. Johnson and the tOSU kid (both 23) may be limited in their upside. NBA likes "potential" more than "finished" players many times. Of course, "potential" get a lot of coaches fired. But that is not a concern of the NBA management. NBA is about 3 things: 1. Signing "upside" players to HUGE long term contracts 2. Then working like heck to dump your HUGE long term contract players on other teams 3. Then signing more players to HUGE long term contracts

Like I said…it’s a “FUNNY” business.[/quote] If you are talking about James Anderson or Evan Turner as tOSU kid both are only 21. I’m hoping my sixers are smart and draft Turner. Hopefully they can use Iggy to move back into the 1st round somewhere to get a frontcourt player.

I was talking about Turner. I thought I read that he was 23 and… I guess I was incorrect. Sorry.

[quote="tundra, post:2, topic:1240"]NBA is a funny business. In reading mock drafts, etc I keep hearing that 23 years olds can be considered too old. Funny. I think what that means is that kids like W. Johnson and the tOSU kid (both 23) may be limited in their upside. NBA likes "potential" more than "finished" players many times. Of course, "potential" get a lot of coaches fired. But that is not a concern of the NBA management. NBA is about 3 things: 1. Signing "upside" players to HUGE long term contracts 2. Then working like heck to dump your HUGE long term contract players on other teams 3. Then signing more players to HUGE long term contracts

Like I said…it’s a “FUNNY” business.[/quote] If you are talking about James Anderson or Evan Turner as tOSU kid both are only 21. I’m hoping my sixers are smart and draft Turner. Hopefully they can use Iggy to move back into the 1st round somewhere to get a frontcourt player.

I was listening to the Stephen A. Smiff show this morning. There are reports out of Philly that the Sixers are looking at another player with the second pick.

Word on Turner is that he has a high hoops IQ and is a good player, but he is below average as far as NBA level athleticism. I think the kid from Syracuse was being looked at with the 2nd pick.

I was listening to the Stephen A. Smiff show this morning. There are reports out of Philly that the Sixers are looking at another player with the second pick.

Word on Turner is that he has a high hoops IQ and is a good player, but he is below average as far as NBA level athleticism. I think the kid from Syracuse was being looked at with the 2nd pick.

I don’t love any of these players. I woudln’t mind if they traded the pick and maybe soemhow found away to include Andre and/or Elton for a lower lottery pick and myabe another 1st rounder next year and an expiring contract. this team is not one player away. They are going to suck. So why not really suck and try to stockpile high draft picks and open up cap space?

I don’t love any of these players. I woudln’t mind if they traded the pick and maybe soemhow found away to include Andre and/or Elton for a lower lottery pick and myabe another 1st rounder next year and an expiring contract. this team is not one player away. They are going to suck. So why not really suck and try to stockpile high draft picks and open up cap space?

Sounds like a good plan. Andre and Elton have UGLY contracts. But, some team might accept one of them if they really wanted the 2nd pick. I would be surprised if they haven’t tried this approach already. But you never know. I am never surprised at the stupidity of NBA teams. ESPN is expecting lots of moves involving drafts picks even after the draft selection.

Sixers take Turner. I hope they keep him.

Look at what the Bulls are doing. They are giving away the 17th pick and Kirk Hindrich JUST to move Hindrich’s salary.

Look at what the Bulls are doing. They are giving away the 17th pick and Kirk Hindrich JUST to move Hindrich’s salary.

As a Bulls fan I don’t like that. They are banking on getting some combination of Lebron, Bosh, Wade or Joe Johnson, preferably LeBron and Bosh. If they don’t get two of those guys they are screwed. Hinrich was their only consistent outside shooter, and he’s a good defender too. Unless Xavier Henry would be availble at 17 I don’t think the pick is a big deal.

I also think Golden State blew it on another big man. Udoh may be okay, but I bet Monroe has a better career.

As a Bulls fan I don’t like that. They are banking on getting some combination of Lebron, Bosh, Wade or Joe Johnson, preferably LeBron and Bosh. If they don’t get two of those guys they are screwed. Hinrich was their only consistent outside shooter, and he’s a good defender too. Unless Xavier Henry would be availble at 17 I don’t think the pick is a big deal.

I also think Golden State blew it on another big man. Udoh may be okay, but I bet Monroe has a better career.

I like Udoh. Athletic shot blocker who improved dramatically since leaving Michigan two years ago. Look how Baylor advanced year over year. From second place in the NIT to the Elite 8, losing to NCAA winner Duke 78-71. They beat St. Mary’s 72-49 after St. Mary’s handled Villanova. The Warrior’s need defense, not offense, and he’s the best shot blocker in the country.

I liked the way he hugged Stern. Looked to be very grateful for that HUGE check he is about to get.

Udoh can sure “guard the goal.” Atleast at the college level.
Udoh would have trouble scoring if no one else was on the court. He sure won’t be taking any shots from Curry or Ellis.

Interesting that Nevada (2) had more players drafted than the Big Ten (1)

Wow. One Big Ten kid…

Many people call the BigTen a “Coaches League.”…Maybe they are correct.

Caracter drafted by the Lakers!!!

So after seeing the pg’s ACTUALLY taken in the draft, I’m curious if Kid wants to rethink his ideas about Battle’s draft stock had he come out this year.

I only count 4 PG’s taken in the entire draft, three of which are 6’4" and the other 6’2"… all long, athletic players.

No Reynolds, Hughes, Randle, Bouldin, Collins, or Clemente… all great college players. A few national all-americans in there if I’m not mistaken. I guess they probably won’t test as quickly as Battle though, that’s the difference I’m guessing? :snicker:

The only source SAS has left in Philly is his own mind. Guy is full of crap.

Although there was one Big Ten player drafted, you can say two players drafted last night played in the Big Ten: Turner and Udoh.

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:18, topic:1240”]So after seeing the pg’s ACTUALLY taken in the draft, I’m curious if Kid wants to rethink his ideas about Battle’s draft stock had he come out this year.

I only count 4 PG’s taken in the entire draft, three of which are 6’4" and the other 6’2"… all long, athletic players.

No Reynolds, Hughes, Randle, Bouldin, Collins, or Clemente… all great college players. A few national all-americans in there if I’m not mistaken. I guess they probably won’t test as quickly as Battle though, that’s the difference I’m guessing? :snicker:[/quote]

That’s the point I was trying to make before. The NBA doesn’t care how you stack up against your draft class, they want to know if you can play against the players currently in the league. GMs didn’t think the PGs this year compared favorably to the players currently in the league.

Regarding Udoh, ESPN grades the pick a D+. I would be a little more kind, but Udoh doesn’t seem to be the kind of guy who thrives in Nellieball. For Udoh’s sake I hope he gets traded to a stable, defensive-minded team soon.