My Challenge to Non-Students

I had a talk with a few guys and I’ve realized something that I hadn’t thought of–We need to act like we’re behind this team.

This weekend is a chance to get a big win and really turn things around. A huge part of the big wins we got at home last season came from crowd energy and a belief that we were with the team. We talk about how people wont come to games unless we’re winning, or we talk about nobody comes out to random OOC games. And those are vaid topics, but what we really need to focus on is how we act when we are there. The students are doing a good job being a part of the game and we need that to spread. I can’t remember the number of times last year we had to convince people across the BJC to get up and get into it. I dont like starting “Stand-up” chants anymore than you like hearing them.

Watching the Wisky-Duke game I realized that part of the reason that Wisconsin looked so solid was the amount of action going on in the stands when they were winning or just behind in the game. It’s easy to go to a game, but get into it, be passionate and dont wait for there to be 3mins left in the game to decide to stand up. I’m not pointing fingers at people here, I just think that gameday atmosphere comes from everybody at the BJC not just the students. NBA teams dont have student sections, but they still have noisy electric crowds. I’m not saying we need to be like the Staples Center…but there are a lot of possesions in a game that have a huge impact on the course of the game. Plenty of them are in the first half.

For the most part BJC games have their moments, but we haven’t taken the energy or passion from across the street and acted like we REALLY care. I know we all do, and we’ve made great strides to improve the atmosphere as a whole. But just imagine how we could really HELP this team if we acted like we believed in them and were behind them.

So thats my challenge, dont wait for somebody to stand up and get into it, be the change you want to see, break out of the mold of sitting on your hands and yelling once and a while…show these guys you really care and I think they will respond.

I dont mean to stir a pot, I just think we can be better and we can impact these guy’s season. Lets make it happen. We’re Penn State fans, lets show people why we’re the best.

Agree 100%. I’ll be directly across the court from the Nation. I’ll do my part to get those around me fired up.

Section 106 has no idea what’s gonna hit them on S-A T-U-R D-A-Y NIGHT!

Bring and introduce the flag and cowbell to the “other” side of the court. Do it - you won’t…

[quote="NationBuilder, post:2, topic:464"]Agree 100%. I'll be directly across the court from the Nation. I'll do my part to get those around me fired up.[/quote] Bring and introduce the flag and [b]cowbell to the "other" side of the court. Do it - you won't...[/b]

Oh, it’s SO on.

[quote="NationBuilder, post:2, topic:464"]Agree 100%. I'll be directly across the court from the Nation. I'll do my part to get those around me fired up.[/quote] Bring and introduce the flag and [b]cowbell to the "other" side of the court. Do it - you won't...[/b]

Oh, it’s SO on.

Good, it’s about time the cowbell returns to it’s origin - the non-students in the BJC. Does anyone else remember when the popularity of the cowbell first began at Penn State? When there was a “Cowbell Man?” If my memory serves me correctly, the original cowbell man appeared in the BJC when it was first constructed (circa 1996), and one man would walk around the whole joint and perform the cowbell song. Eventually it branched into other sports, and eventually to more than one person, but it was born in the non-student sections of the BJC.

At least that was the first time I can recall seeing/hearing it. Perhaps I am wrong and someone can correct me.

I’m about to go UncleLar on you…
http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/1996_jan-dec/1996_oct/1996-10-02_the_daily_collegian/1996-10-02d03-009.htm

[quote=“NationBuilder, post:6, topic:464”]I’m about to go UncleLar on you…
http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/1996_jan-dec/1996_oct/1996-10-02_the_daily_collegian/1996-10-02d03-009.htm[/quote]

For those who don’t want to click through, the story meshes with my memory of the cowbell’s origin. It started just after the upper deck to Beaver Stadium was built, when it seemed like sitting all the way up there really took you out of the game a bit. It was a way to get that specific section riled up, and it grew and grew and grew until it became a stadium wide, and University wide, “thing.”

[quote=“NationBuilder, post:2, topic:464”]Agree 100%. I’ll be directly across the court from the Nation. I’ll do my part to get those around me fired up.

Section 106 has no idea what’s gonna hit them on S-A T-U-R D-A-Y NIGHT![/quote]

I would LOVE to see (and sit in!) a non-student student section where fans who want to stand up, be loud, be rowdy, and have fun can cheer together without bothering the complainers throughout the rest of the BJC who want/need to sit politely for the rest of the game.

Perhaps we could learn a little something from, of all things, Major League Soccer. I’ve been to quite a few DC United games, and they have a couple “themed” sections, the most famous of which is the “Barra Brava.” This rowdy, loud, energetic, and vocal group bounces the whole game, leads loud chants and cheers, is filled with bass drums and other noise makers, and is also fueled by a great tailgating culture before games and quite a bit of beer in the stands. We can’t replicate that last part at the BJC, but imagine if both sides of the court had some rabid fans urging the team on.

[quote="NationBuilder, post:2, topic:464"]Agree 100%. I'll be directly across the court from the Nation. I'll do my part to get those around me fired up.

I would LOVE to see (and sit in!) a non-student student section where fans who want to stand up, be loud, be rowdy, and have fun can cheer together without bothering the complainers throughout the rest of the BJC who want/need to sit politely for the rest of the game.

Perhaps we could learn a little something from, of all things, Major League Soccer. I’ve been to quite a few DC United games, and they have a couple “themed” sections, the most famous of which is the “Barra Brava.” This rowdy, loud, energetic, and vocal group bounces the whole game, leads loud chants and cheers, is filled with bass drums and other noise makers, and is also fueled by a great tailgating culture before games and quite a bit of beer in the stands. We can’t replicate that last part at the BJC, but imagine if both sides of the court had some rabid fans urging the team on.

Fuck DC United. Seriously, I hate them.

Metros forever.

Boo Metros/Red Bulls.
Boo United.

GO Team USA! haha

[quote="NationBuilder, post:2, topic:464"]Agree 100%. I'll be directly across the court from the Nation. I'll do my part to get those around me fired up.

f— DC United. Seriously, I hate them.

Metros forever.

Wow, what were the odds that the MLS’s 2 rabid fans are both PSU hoops fans?!

haha i love this thread

Maybe we need a “Rob” to get the fans out of their seats.

It worked at the Knicks game.

The full story: “Where’s Rob” by Improv Everywhere.

News article on the “prank”: Improv group pulls ‘lost fan’ prank during Knicks game

And the YouTube video:

Where’s Rob?

While attending a game at Fenway Park a buddy of mine went for beers and pulled a “Where’s Rob” on his return. BUT, it was “no act.” You have to know him, his brain is somewhat scrabbled. He would have walked into the dugout if they let him. About 20 people sitting near us helped in trying to get his attention.

Someone can come sit with me and my gang I’d love for you to bring the group alive I look over at the student section wishing I was in that group i look out of place acting a fool over there amongst the rest of my reserved section Bring me some help Cappy you and your wife can holler with me too :smiley:

Come over and sit with the student section.

[quote="therealtruth, post:16, topic:464"]Someone can come sit with me and my gang I'd love for you to bring the group alive I look over at the student section wishing I was in that group i look out of place acting a fool over there amongst the rest of my reserved section Bring me some help Cappy you and your wife can holler with me too :D[/quote] Come over and sit with the [s]student section[/s] Nation.

Fixed.

[quote="therealtruth, post:16, topic:464"]Someone can come sit with me and my gang I'd love for you to bring the group alive I look over at the student section wishing I was in that group i look out of place acting a fool over there amongst the rest of my reserved section Bring me some help Cappy you and your wife can holler with me too :D[/quote] Come over and [s]sit[/s] stand with the [s]student section[/s] Nation.

Fixed.

Double fixed

[quote="therealtruth, post:16, topic:464"]Someone can come sit with me and my gang I'd love for you to bring the group alive I look over at the student section wishing I was in that group i look out of place acting a fool over there amongst the rest of my reserved section Bring me some help Cappy you and your wife can holler with me too :D[/quote] Come over and [s]sit[/s] [s]stand[/s] popcorn with the [s]student section[/s] Nation.

Fixed.

Double fixed

Triple fixed