My CBB pet peeve is getting worse

I cannot stand when, after a team makes a bucket they grab the ball as it comes through the net… then either toss is randomly or to the referee on the baseline.

Just let the ball hit the ground and allow the other team to get it. It’s not always a stall tactic, but many times it is. I think it’s technically a delay of game call, but you will rarely see it enforced. I am so annoyed by it the last two weeks and am wondering if it bothers anybody else. I’d love to see it made a point of emphasis next year to keep the flow of the game moving better and stop teams from cheaply trying to stall while they setup their defense or get back on their own end.

I do believe many players do it innocently, but I also believe a good number don’t. Either way, the rule needs to be: after your team makes a shot, do not attempt to touch the ball until it’s been picked up by the other team and carried across the baseline to inbound.

Who’s with me? ;D

I’m with you. I don’t think it’s done intentionally. But I have noticed it a lot lately too.

It IS a violation. Blame the refs for NOT calling it!

A quick complaint to the ref and they WILL call it. I suspect that coaches of teams like Mich St who like to run, run, run remind the refs before the game to keep an eye on it.

[quote="tundra, post:3, topic:1000"]It IS a violation. Blame the refs for NOT calling it![/quote]

A quick complaint to the ref and they WILL call it. I suspect that coaches of teams like Mich St who like to run, run, run remind the refs before the game to keep an eye on it.

yeah it would kill MSU’s style of play… i’ll have to remember to watch more closely and see if teams do it against them as often.

I think I heard the guys talking about this on CBS-CS today. I was only switching back and forth but I heard the guy say a few words about it and he was motioning like a guy grabbing the ball through a hoop.

Anyone else catch that?

Players seem to think that they can catch the ball…hold it a few seconds…then, if they throw it to the ref, it is OK. The ref has to blow the whistle!

My CBB pet peeve:

Timeouts. 5 per team, +1 TO in OT (right?) is way too many. Especially since CBS has TV time outs every 30 seconds.

[quote=“noobd, post:8, topic:1000”]My CBB pet peeve:

Timeouts. 5 per team, +1 TO in OT (right?) is way too many. Especially since CBS has TV time outs every 30 seconds.[/quote]

Agreed. The last 3 minutes of gametime yesterday in the St Mary’s game took about 25 minutes real time by my clock. That’s a quarter of how long the whole game should generally take. They must’ve used what felt like 20 timeouts in those 3 minutes, i don’t know where they were pulling them out of.

Over the course of a 40 minute game, Team A can have up to 10 team time outs, halftime and X amount of TV time outs (3 or 4 per half?), whatever that number might be. Wayyy too many. I say 3 per team. Makes the ending a lot more exciting and chaotic.

Also, the time outs yesterday were very long…BUT, I’m not allowed to say CBS/ESPN has any influence on the NCAA…Yeah, right…

Timeouts are 2 1/2 to 3 minutes long and have been for years. That’s nothing new. If I see the Southwest Airlines commercial with the guys flashing their guts one more time I may puke. :slight_smile:

OK…But don’t know how long “years” mean. In my day timeouts were 1 minute. Then they added the 30 second timeout to speed up play. I would bet the 2 1/2 to 3 minute timeouts are TV’s idea!
Don’t know if they still have the “30 second” timeout. I think HS still does!

[quote="psugrad83, post:12, topic:1000"]Timeouts are 2 1/2 to 3 minutes long and have been for years. That's nothing new. If I see the Southwest Airlines commercial with the guys flashing their guts one more time I may puke. :)[/quote]

OK…But don’t know how long “years” mean. In my day timeouts were 1 minute. Then they added the 30 second timeout to speed up play. I would bet the 2 1/2 to 3 minute timeouts are TV’s idea!
Don’t know if they still have the “30 second” timeout. I think HS still does!

There are still 30 second TOs, but some of them turn into full TOs. You are correct that the longer (2 1/2 -3 minute) TOs are TV’s idea. During the regular season TOs are typically 2 minutes, but during the NCAA tourney they are longer. I can’t say specifically when it changed but it’s been about 10 years, and it probably coincides with CBS’s billion dollar deal to televise the dance. They have to pay for it somehow, and it is more ads. Just the nature of the beast. Wait till negotiations start for th next contract. What do you think ESPN/ABC will pay???

[quote="noobd, post:8, topic:1000"]My CBB pet peeve:

Timeouts. 5 per team, +1 TO in OT (right?) is way too many. Especially since CBS has TV time outs every 30 seconds.[/quote]

Agreed. The last 3 minutes of gametime yesterday in the St Mary’s game took about 25 minutes real time by my clock. That’s a quarter of how long the whole game should generally take. They must’ve used what felt like 20 timeouts in those 3 minutes, i don’t know where they were pulling them out of.

I have a different perspective on the whole end of game scenario and I realize it’s going to be a contrarian view. While the clock may take a while to expire in a close game, you are also getting more plays/possessions in that time from than you do over the normal course of the game. I’d much rather see a bunch of 5-10 second possessions, even if some of them are from the foul line, then I would the 30 second work the ball around the perimeter ones that happen in the middle of the game. I think the ability to call the timeouts actually adds to the end game tension and drama and is good for the game. If those timeouts allow me to see ten possessions or so in the last two clock minutes, that’s great.

Take that game for example. In the last 2 minutes of the game, there were 33 actions that took place (I’m defining an action as something that required an entry in the box, e.g. a shot, rebound, foul, free throw, etc). That’s an average of 17 action items per minute. In the other 38 minutes of the game, there were 271 action items, or about 7 per minute. So you’re getting about two and a half times the basketball in that time frame.

On a possession basis, each team had the ball seven times in those two minutes. That translates to a 140 possession game. In the other 38 minutes, the teams each had the ball 60 times, that works out to a 63 possession game. So again, you are seeing basketball played at over twice the pace of the rest of the game. I enjoy that and think it creates a lot of tension. So what if it takes a little more real time. That just helps build the tension.

The tension is definitely a good thing, I just hate that it seems like they continue taking those long 3 minute TV timeouts on every single TO taken… during the regular season in those late game situations a lot of times the BTN or ESPN will just stay right with the game through the timeout, it seems to go much quicker and you still get the same kind of drama you’re speaking of in a shorter amount of REAL time.

Maybe it’s just my imagination though, also.

But I agree with whoever commented on the Southwest commercial - it’d also help if they didn’t replay the same 10 commercials over and over and over. I realize those spots are pricey, but at least give us more variety from those companies if you can’t give us other advertisers.

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:16, topic:1000”]The tension is definitely a good thing, I just hate that it seems like they continue taking those long 3 minute TV timeouts on every single TO taken… during the regular season in those late game situations a lot of times the BTN or ESPN will just stay right with the game through the timeout, it seems to go much quicker and you still get the same kind of drama you’re speaking of in a shorter amount of REAL time.

But I agree with whoever commented on the Southwest commercial - it’d also help if they didn’t replay the same 10 commercials over and over and over. I realize those spots are pricey, but at least give us more variety from those companies if you can’t give us other advertisers. [/quote]

The BTN’s “quick meals” commercials by Rotel and Velvetta are the ones that drive me nuts.

To each his/her own. I loved the Maryland - MSU ending, because it all happened really quickly. Coming out a timeout, one is almost sure that MSU is going to try X. However, on the run, its up to 18-23 year old kids making quick decisions. This can lead to mind blowing plays, or mistakes. UNPREDICTABLE.

I prefer less time stops.

The tension is definitely a good thing, I just hate that it seems like they continue taking those long 3 minute TV timeouts on every single TO taken... during the regular season in those late game situations a lot of times the BTN or ESPN will just stay right with the game through the timeout, it seems to go much quicker and you still get the same kind of drama you're speaking of in a shorter amount of REAL time.

But I agree with whoever commented on the Southwest commercial - it’d also help if they didn’t replay the same 10 commercials over and over and over. I realize those spots are pricey, but at least give us more variety from those companies if you can’t give us other advertisers.

The BTN’s “quick meals” commercials by Rotel and Velvetta are the ones that drive me nuts.

Anything beats the Hoveround ads!! ::slight_smile:

[quote=“UncleLar, post:15, topic:1000”]I have a different perspective on the whole end of game scenario and I realize it’s going to be a contrarian view. While the clock may take a while to expire in a close game, you are also getting more plays/possessions in that time from than you do over the normal course of the game. I’d much rather see a bunch of 5-10 second possessions, even if some of them are from the foul line, then I would the 30 second work the ball around the perimeter ones that happen in the middle of the game. I think the ability to call the timeouts actually adds to the end game tension and drama and is good for the game. If those timeouts allow me to see ten possessions or so in the last two clock minutes, that’s great.

Take that game for example. In the last 2 minutes of the game, there were 33 actions that took place (I’m defining an action as something that required an entry in the box, e.g. a shot, rebound, foul, free throw, etc). That’s an average of 17 action items per minute. In the other 38 minutes of the game, there were 271 action items, or about 7 per minute. So you’re getting about two and a half times the basketball in that time frame.

On a possession basis, each team had the ball seven times in those two minutes. That translates to a 140 possession game. In the other 38 minutes, the teams each had the ball 60 times, that works out to a 63 possession game. So again, you are seeing basketball played at over twice the pace of the rest of the game. I enjoy that and think it creates a lot of tension. So what if it takes a little more real time. That just helps build the tension. [/quote]
Interesting perspective Lar, and thanks for the information you provide on a regular basis. It is much appreciated.