PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Msu - nw

This is an interesting game. I wondered what would happen when the Princeton offense was run by better athletes, and you can see it at Georgetown. But NW is doing it, too. Much better athletes all over the floor. And they can shoot the threes.

I always thought that our inability to play effective man to man helped us against NW. We zoned up, stopped the back cuts, and they couldn’t shoot the three effectively. Now they can shoot the three and we don’t play zone enough to be as effective with it anyway (I’m guessing), so this could add up to trouble.

[quote=“tjb, post:1, topic:586”]This is an interesting game. I wondered what would happen when the Princeton offense was run by better athletes, and you can see it at Georgetown. But NW is doing it, too. Much better athletes all over the floor. And they can shoot the threes.

I always thought that our inability to play effective man to man helped us against NW. We zoned up, stopped the back cuts, and they couldn’t shoot the three effectively. Now they can shoot the three and we don’t play zone enough to be as effective with it anyway (I’m guessing), so this could add up to trouble.[/quote]

Northwestern is also rebounding a lot better now. It used to be that they didn’t even seem to try. Nowadays they are not only trying, they are succeeding somewhat.

NW rebounds per game:

2006 - 23.6 rpg
2007 - 21.4 rpg
2008 - 20.9 rpg
2009 - 24.3 rpg
2010 - 30.2 rpg

[quote="tjb, post:1, topic:586"]This is an interesting game. I wondered what would happen when the Princeton offense was run by better athletes, and you can see it at Georgetown. But NW is doing it, too. Much better athletes all over the floor. And they can shoot the threes.

I always thought that our inability to play effective man to man helped us against NW. We zoned up, stopped the back cuts, and they couldn’t shoot the three effectively. Now they can shoot the three and we don’t play zone enough to be as effective with it anyway (I’m guessing), so this could add up to trouble.[/quote]

Northwestern is also rebounding a lot better now. It used to be that they didn’t even seem to try. Nowadays they are not only trying, they are succeeding somewhat.

NW rebounds per game:

2006 - 23.6 rpg
2007 - 21.4 rpg
2008 - 20.9 rpg
2009 - 24.3 rpg
2010 - 30.2 rpg

Big Ten Geeks referenced rebounding in a recent column, using tempo free numbers, and they were pretty good in the game they were talking about (Illinois, I assume).

I remember Carmody mocking a post game interviewer a few years ago about rebounding when the interviewer asked about it. He was like “We didn’t even try to rebound.” I don’t think he was happy about it, but it was hard to tell.