PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Movie Thread

Since there’s not much in the way of basketball news at the moment I thought I’d revive the movie discussion.

Just watched the A-Team trailer on Hulu and I’m pumped to check it out. I know it will be another over-budgeted Hollywood action movie but it’s nostalgic for me since I loved the TV show when I was a kid. BTW Rampage Jackson is B.A. we’ll see how his foray into movies works out but he is definitely B.A. ;D

Also another trailer to check out is the Perfect Game about the first non-American team to win the Little League world series. As I’m typing this I guess Hollywood is playing on nostalgia since I’m reminiscing about my LL All-Star games.

Have at it guys. This board has been dead as of late.

One recent trailer that I loved was the Hit Girl trailer for Kick Ass which opened this weekend. I’d be curious to hear from anyone who has seen the film.

Kick-Ass

I liked the original “Clash of the Titans”, with Harry Hamlin, with Laurence Olivier as the benevolent Zeus, and was pumped to see the new one. It got dreadful reviews, with the 3D supposedly worse. Disappointing. The original was made by Harry Hachausen(sp). Saw a show on the making of that original, and he said he was so taken by “King Kong” when he was a kid, all he ever wanted to do was make movies like that, with special effects.

Ray Harryhausen. He’s a legendary figure in special effects, best known for his stop animation work. CGI made it all but obsolete.

Here’s his site
http://www.rayharryhausen.com/index.php

For those of you who are into foreign flicks you’ll need to check out this trailer for A Matter of Size. Pretty witty one liners. :slight_smile:

http://www.hulu.com/embed/hFoyoVFysdwWYz0iHue_aQ

Also here is the trailer for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

http://www.hulu.com/embed/64A8u-70RWkmN1xWiqgupQ

byake, that 1st one looked good. I’ll see that.

On the dragon, saw it AND the two sequels. Fabulous. I saw the director on tv today, on Charlie Rose. My wife tapes Charlie, so not sure when it was on originally. He made the film for $7 million. It did over $100 million in Europe, 1st Swedish film to do that. I’ve watched the 3 films several times each. The director had some great comments. The lead character has had a horrible life, but she refuses to be a victim. In one revenge scene she gets in the movie, he said women in the theatre were whistling, clapping, stomping their feet. He said he was stunned. He’s actually Danish, and just moved to the US with his NJ born wife and 4 kids. He’s working on another film, forget the name, but supposedly a great book. I’d see anything this guy made, he did such a great job on these.

Pretty cool DiCaprio flick coming out in July. Christopher Nolan is the director.

Inception
http://www.hulu.com/embed/c_jfvEmCrWJUOh4eJWwDGw

[quote=“byake, post:7, topic:1121”]Pretty cool DiCaprio flick coming out in July. Christopher Nolan is the director.

Inception
http://www.hulu.com/embed/c_jfvEmCrWJUOh4eJWwDGw[/quote]

Seen a bunch recently, some in theatres, some downloaded. Saw Inception previews tonight at movies.

The Secret in Their Eyes - downloaded this. Winner of Oscar for best foreign film. Excellent. Subtitles. Haunting.
The Place of your final destination - something like that, w Anthony Hopkins. Pretty good, worth seeing. Not 4 stars, but I liked it.
Date Night - one of biggest POS’s I’ve ever seen. Absolutely dreadful. Should’ve demanded my money back. My wife dragged me to it. Would’ve left if I wasn’t with her.
Iron Man 2 - saw tonight. Okay, but save your money. More of the same as last one, which I liked. I was yawning.

Dragon Tattoo blows away everything, with The Secret in Their Eyes a distant second. Has only NICU seen it?

I was looking at best foreign film lists, and two names which show up are, 1. The Rules of the Game(1939) and “M”, by Fritz Lang, with Peter Lorre(1931). Both of these are online and don’t have to be downloaded. Both foreign language. I watched “M”. Pretty good. Ahead of its time. Peter Lorre is terrific bad guy. Also downloaded and watched “El Norte”. Decent, not great. Sad.

I’m on foreign film kick, as you can imagine from what I’m downloading. Too much CGI in American films. Sick of it. And it’s not stopping, Inception, Prince of Persia, Iron Man 2, several others coming, yada yada. Too many.

Kid, some of my favorite foreign films are (forgive me if I have mentioned some of these):

Oldboy - a somewhat notorius film that the less you know about the better, also great are the other 2 films in this “vengeance” trilogy, Sympaty for Mr Vengeance, and Lady Vengeance

Ping Pong - it actually has a US DVD release but may be hard to find, lots of fun, about high school ping pong, i seriously consider it among my favorite sport films of all time

High and Low - everyone loves Kurosawa’s samurai films but i just love this one, about a wealthy man about to embark on an incredibly risky business venture when he gets a call that his son has been kidnapped for a ridiculous ransom that will surely kill his new venture, then he sees his son walk through the front door, it turns out that his driver’s son was kidnapped in error

I Love Fellini. Nights of Cabiria, La Strada and especially Amaracord are all among my all time favorites.

I’ve mentioned City of God before. If you haven’t seen it it is astounding.

Children of Heaven - such a wonderful little Iranian film about a boy and his sister who’s shoes he has lost, also great is the director’s Color of Paradise, its interesting to get a glimpse of life in Iran.

My Life As Mcdull - in my view the greatest “kid’s” film ever, very funny, but by the end i am always left with moist eyes

The Pope’s Toilet, The Edukators, and Memories of Murder are all favorites as well. The last one in particular. That’s a must see.

And some just plain fun ones:
Black House - a fantastic little thriller about a life insurance agent who gets a weird call one day about whether a policy will pay out in case of suicide, only to be called to a client’s home the next day where it just so happens that the family’s son kills himself

Survive Style 5+ - i saw it at a film festival and bought a copy off of Ebay but this may be very hard to find, similar structure to Pulp Fiction but a wildly inventive comedy, featuring the incredibly gorgeous Reika Hashimoto

2LDK - 2 female roomates both vying for the same part in a film and the same man have what amounts to a 90 minute catfight from hell

The Happiness of the Katkuris - crazy little film about a family that runs a struggling inn, when they finally start doing business it truns out that everyone ends up dying, its mazing to think that this director also direcetd the altogether different but incredible Audition, very scary film, “kiri, kiri, kiri…”.

Lots of films there hewey. Saw City of God, then bought the DVD, but my kids lost it. Definitely one of the all time best. Film only did $4 million at the box office in the US, and Brazil was so embarassed by it, they wouldn’t let it be nominated for Best Foreign Film at the Oscars. IMO, it gets extra points due to its epic quality, the way it spans generations.

The Dragon Tattoo and the following 2 should be seen. You won’t be disappointed. Sort of in the “Silence of the Lambs” genre. Saw the director on Charlie Rose, and he said that. Really good. I’ve watched them each about 5X. I think I’ll download your choices. On top 100 foreign films, lots of Kurosawa films show up. Not sure if the one you pick is there, but some of the lists have junk, or at least so so films.

Saw a movie last night recommended above by hewey, Oldboy, a Korean film with subtitles. Wow.

Without question, one of the most bizarre, intense movies I have ever seen. Makes Silence of the Lambs look like Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm. Just joking on that, but my goodness. When you discover what’s going on at the end, you are stunned. hewey mentioned seeing it in the theatre and there being a collective “gasp” in the theatre. I’m surprised some patrons didn’t pass out. Diabolical with a capital D. Unnerving. Had trouble going to sleep.

Highly recommended, but graphic. Not something you’ll want to see twice. AND NO KIDS.

Note: not that I would do this, but with bittorent installed, you can download it in 45-55 minutes. pm me on this if interested in how to.

kid i was recently reminded of a great little film I saw a couple of years ago at a film festival called Timecrimes. Its a Spanish film about a man who mistakenly gets sent back in time about an hour and mayhem ensues. Its a great, fast paced little film. Hollywood is remaking it for a release next year but I say see the original.

And speaking of time travel films, have you seen Primer? I remember the 1st time I saw that I actually watched all over again right after I was done so I could listen to the director commentary and try to figure out what happened.

[quote=“pmhewitt, post:12, topic:1121”]kid i was recently reminded of a great little film I saw a couple of years ago at a film festival called Timecrimes. Its a Spanish film about a man who mistakenly gets sent back in time about an hour and mayhem ensues. Its a great, fast paced little film. Hollywood is remaking it for a release next year but I say see the original.

And speaking of time travel films, have you seen Primer? I remember the 1st time I saw that I actually watched all over again right after I was done so I could listen to the director commentary and try to figure out what happened. [/quote]

hewey, they’re on my list. Never heard of Oldboy, now recommend it to many. Memories of Murder good too, better than Mother. Host even had its moments. :wink:

I haven’t enjoyed a movie experience like I did last night with Inception in quite some time. Fantastic movie.

Agreed 100% - it was perfect.

A restored version of Metropolis, with 25 minutes of newly discovered footage, has been playing at an arthouse theatre here in DC. I saw it on Tuesday, and it’s a really, really great movie. At first, the overly dramatic acting and lack of dialogue was a little hard to follow, but by the end of the film, I was just as engrossed with the characters and the plot as any movie I’ve seen lately. To achieve that without sound is pretty impressive.

The special effects were pretty amazing, as well, considering it was 1926-27 when the movie was being made. If you haven’t seen it, it’s a classic for a reason.

I have not seen it yet but Nolan’s The Prestige is one of my favorite films of the last 10 years or so and it seems like not many people have seen it. I highly recommend it.

Thanks Kid and others for recommending The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I’m hooked and just bought the trilogy book set on Amazon.

Very creative story and the director did an amazing job of getting the most out of each scene. I’m not sure I like the fact that there will be an American adaptation because some things are best left in their original form.

Just watched the girl with the dragon tattoo too. Awesome. Thanks for pushing it Kid.

[quote=“byake, post:18, topic:1121”]Thanks Kid and others for recommended The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I’m hooked and just bought the trilogy book set on Amazon.

Very creative story and the director did an amazing job of getting the most out of each scene. I’m not sure I like the fact that there will be an American adaptation because some things are best left in their original form.[/quote]

Hey, byake, please post how you like the book. I’m a library guy. I have the book “ordered.” But, there is a waiting list.