Most memorable events and people of the 2000s

OK, my editor Paul Vigna has asked us to come up with a list of the most memorable events and people we’ve covered in this decade. So I thought I’d throw the college basketball section open to you guys to make sure I didn’t miss anything and just because it’s fun.

I’m only gonna get to list events I covered that involved local teams. They didn’t have to actually be in PA but I had to be there. You guys go ahead and list whatever you like.

So, off the top of my head, here’s mine…
EVENTS

1. Penn State at the New Orleans regional, 2001
  2. Bucknell over Kansas at the OKC regional, 2005
  3. Nova’s run to the 2009 Final Four
    PEOPLE
  4. Joe Crispin
  5. Pat Flannery
  6. Talor Battle
  7. Jamelle Cornley

MRob, 2005 OSU football game

Not a happy moment, but the Duquesne shootings have to be up there for PA basketball stories.

Without a doubt the two games in New Orleans are the greatest sporting event I have ever been to. Everything about that weekend was unbelievable.

[quote=“djones, post:1, topic:409”]OK, my editor Paul Vigna has asked us to come up with a list of the most memorable events and people we’ve covered in this decade. So I thought I’d throw the college basketball section open to you guys to make sure I didn’t miss anything and just because it’s fun.

I’m only gonna get to list events I covered that involved local teams. They didn’t have to actually be in PA but I had to be there. You guys go ahead and list whatever you like.

So, off the top of my head, here’s mine…
EVENTS

1. Penn State at the New Orleans regional, 2001
  2. Bucknell over Kansas at the OKC regional, 2005
  3. Nova’s run to the 2009 Final Four
    PEOPLE
  4. Joe Crispin
  5. Pat Flannery
  6. Talor Battle
  7. Jamelle Cornley[/quote]

Did you see the Ferris Bueller routine at the New Orleans parade? That 2001 weekend was pretty good. Titus in the hospital all night with his mom before the UNC game.

Tough to beat Bucknell on that list, though.

The only other thing I could come up with was the BU win over Holy Cross in the PL Champ game in Lewisburg. The win over KU was the year before, but that was the capper and the last home game for an incredible 2-year run. It was more than a championship, but a celebration of the best team that had ever put on the Bison jersey.

That’s a good one. That was the greatest home crowd experience I have ever had.

Not yet mentioned:

#1 Adam Taliaferro
Tamba Hali
Ethan Kilmer -Shippensburg to PSU walk on to the NFL
Paterno
Bowden
2004 St. Joseph’s undefeated regular season — Martelli, Jameer Nelson, Donte West
Gerry McNamara

[quote="Tom, post:2, topic:409"]MRob, 2005 OSU football game[/quote]

That’s a good one. That was the greatest home crowd experience I have ever had.

It had to be college basketball for this section, right? In addition to the memorable events and people djones listed:

People:

Jerry Dunn
Marcus Banta
Gyasi Cline-Heard
Jan Jagla
Aaron Johnson

Events:

PSU @ Kentucky in 2000
PSU vs MSU in 2001 BTT

Larry Johnson’s destroying MSU to get his 2000 yards was pretty special.
Adam T leading the team back onto the field a year after his injury was another.

What about the NIT Championship last season? Battle’s buzzer beater in game 1. Finishing off game 2 with no Cornley (entire game) or Battle (last several minutes). Knocking off Florida in Gainesville with Cornley’s arm practically in a sling. Taking out ND in MSG. Then finishing things off against Baylor!! Man, for a “garbage” tournament, it sure was a heck of a lot of fun.

For hoops, that’s my most memorable other than the Sweet 16 thing that was already mentioned.

Could also mention the wins in East Lansing and Bloomington as well as our recent “dominance” over the Illini.

PSU sports in general?? The 05 game against OSU stands out. As does the 05 nightmare against Michigan. 08 in the “shoe”? What about the women’s volleyball team’s run last year? Greatest single season in sports history? Has to be close to the most perfect season ever played.

People? Battle and Cornley are at the top of my list. Have to give a nod to the Claxtons, Morrisseys, Walkers, etc. who hung in there during some trying times and still gave 100% to the University. And what about Luber and Smith as 40 minute men as freshmen?

Can’t forget the Rene Portland era and how it ended.

For sporting events in general? Even though I’m not a big NASCAR fan, Dale Earnhart dying at Daytona still sits in the back of my mind. The Steelers winning two Super Bowls. The Penguins making the Flyers our B1tc43s the last few years and winning another Cup. The Red Sox coming back from the dead against the Yankees to win 4 in a row and end the curse of the Bambino. That crazy head butt in the World Cup. The autistic kid scoring like 20 points in 2 minutes in a high school game. Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy in the Super Bowl and Mike Tomlin winning two years later. The Pats going 16-0. Beckham in the MLS. The Tiger Slam and winning the US Open – by 15 strokes, followed by winning the British Open by 8 strokes. Barbaro. Danica winning a race. GWB tossing out the first pitch in Yankee Stadium after 9-11 and throwing a STRIKE.

[quote=“mjg, post:11, topic:409”]What about the NIT Championship last season? Battle’s buzzer beater in game 1. Finishing off game 2 with no Cornley (entire game) or Battle (last several minutes). Knocking off Florida in Gainesville with Cornley’s arm practically in a sling. Taking out ND in MSG. Then finishing things off against Baylor!! Man, for a “garbage” tournament, it sure was a heck of a lot of fun.

For hoops, that’s my most memorable other than the Sweet 16 thing that was already mentioned.

Could also mention the wins in East Lansing and Bloomington as well as our recent “dominance” over the Illini.[/quote]

I’d throw in the win at the BJC over Illinois at the end of the regular season last year. One of the best atmosphere’s I’ve ever been to in the BJC, especially after the last second shot that put us in the tournament. (For various definitions of “tournament.” :-\ )

[quote="mjg, post:11, topic:409"]What about the NIT Championship last season? Battle's buzzer beater in game 1. Finishing off game 2 with no Cornley (entire game) or Battle (last several minutes). Knocking off Florida in Gainesville with Cornley's arm practically in a sling. Taking out ND in MSG. Then finishing things off against Baylor!! Man, for a "garbage" tournament, it sure was a heck of a lot of fun.

Could also mention the wins in East Lansing and Bloomington as well as our recent “dominance” over the Illini.[/quote]

I’d throw in the win at the BJC over Illinois at the end of the regular season last year. One of the best atmosphere’s I’ve ever been to in the BJC, especially after the last second shot that put us in the tournament. (For various definitions of “tournament.” :-\ )

The upset AT Illinois was much more of a shocker though. The Illini had won 33 straight home games and were ranked #6 while we weren’t a particularly good team.

Great call on the win over UNC at New Orleans. There are players in the NBA and NFL off that UNC team. UNC Coach Doughterty was crying after it was over.

The PSU - Kentucky game was incredible. There were about 75 PSU fans there and boy did we have fun watching the Crispens rain threes on Tubby’s team.

The upset of MSU in the tournament locked the team into the Big Dance. Fans from all the other teams were pulling for the Lions. It was fun.

[quote=“AboveDRim, post:14, topic:409”]Great call on the win over UNC at New Orleans. There are players in the NBA and NFL off that UNC team. UNC Coach Doughterty was crying after it was over.

The PSU - Kentucky game was incredible. There were about 75 PSU fans there and boy did we have fun watching the Crispens rain threes on Tubby’s team.

The upset of MSU in the tournament locked the team into the Big Dance. Fans from all the other teams were pulling for the Lions. It was fun.[/quote]

Welcome back!

If I had to pick a singular moment, it would be when Gyasi threw the Lion on his back and carried him off the floor after the victory against the Tarholes. It made it into the “One Shining Moment” montage.

Dunn milked the bench that game like an FFA champ.

Thanks, guys. A few I didn’t think of on there.

[quote=“AboveDRim, post:14, topic:409”]Great call on the win over UNC at New Orleans. There are players in the NBA and NFL off that UNC team. UNC Coach Doughterty was crying after it was over.

The upset of MSU in the tournament locked the team into the Big Dance. Fans from all the other teams were pulling for the Lions. It was fun.[/quote]
Wow, this is your one post to this newer board and someone here feels this nostalgic positive post from a dad of a former player deserves negative karma.

I’m sure this comment will get me the same but whoever deems the AboveDRim post as objectionable should do themselfs a favor and relieve themselfs of having to read such things on a board that tries to keep the posting content “above the rim” and standards of most boards.

That seems so long ago…amazing it was this decade.