Morelli Article

In Morelli’s article below, he’s hoping for a new offense this week. Key line is below link.

http://www.gantdaily.com/news/67/ARTICLE/71742/2010-02-09.html

Penn State is off this week. Hopefully, coach DeChellis and his staff are installing some new offenses, teaching the squad how to break a press and learning how to score against a 2-3 zone, something they couldn’t do on Saturday.

Vs. zones, esp 2-1-2’s, the way to beat them is not solely perimeter passing, but getting underneath the zone, getting it inside. Bobby Knight’s response to “what’s the most important thing on defense?” “Keep your eye on the ball”. Well, if vs. 2-1-2, you pass the ball to the low post and keep an offense player both at the wing and the corner on the strong side, how can the opponents covering these two players keep their eye on both the ball and their man? That’s why it’s so important to get it inside.

Because I don’t want to start another thread, just a comment on Ed’s conference today, as listed in the news window above by PSUStretch. Ed said, “unlike when Claxton went down, and the team rallied late in the season, this year’s Big 10 is much better.” I guess that’s a pretty damning admission that he’s been outrecruited for the last two years. Why didn’t he just say that? PSU got 8 players since that season, not counting walk ons. IMO, after landing Battle, it was time to aim high and try to land top 100 players. Many here felt that at the time.

[quote=“kidcoyote, post:1, topic:826”]In Morelli’s article below, he’s hoping for a new offense this week. Key line is below link.

http://www.gantdaily.com/news/67/ARTICLE/71742/2010-02-09.html

Penn State is off this week. Hopefully, coach DeChellis and his staff are installing some new offenses, teaching the squad how to break a press and learning how to score against a 2-3 zone, something they couldn’t do on Saturday.

Vs. zones, esp 2-1-2’s, the way to beat them is not solely perimeter passing, but getting underneath the zone, getting it inside. Bobby Knight’s response to “what’s the most important thing on defense?” “Keep your eye on the ball”. Well, if vs. 2-1-2, you pass the ball to the low post and keep an offense player both at the wing and the corner on the strong side, how can the opponents covering these two players keep their eye on both the ball and their man? That’s why it’s so important to get it inside.

Because I don’t want to start another thread, just a comment on Ed’s conference today, as listed in the news window above by PSUStretch. Ed said, “unlike when Claxton went down, and the team rallied late in the season, this year’s Big 10 is much better.” I guess that’s a pretty damning admission that he’s been outrecruited for the last two years. Why didn’t he just say that? PSU got 8 players since that season, not counting walk ons. IMO, after landing Battle, it was time to aim high and try to land top 100 players. Many here felt that at the time.[/quote]

The worst part about that statement is he kind of implies that it ended up being a successful year. They finished 15-16 with no type of postseason at all. Most coaches wouldn’t remember a year like that and point to it as a measuring stick

How many times can you possibly keep saying stuff like this. You think that Ed just decided, " you know what, we’re going pretty good right now so I’ll just aim lower and go for kids outside of the top 100". Look at the Ohio St football weekend, there were tons of top 100 kids on campus. My guess is that almost all of them will sign somewhere else. DO you think it’s because Ed isn’t working hard enough, or he’s just decided that we’re already good enough so he’ll give other kids some shots? He was aiming high, those kids chose to go to better hoops schools, and that we ended up with who we got. This year, we have one of the best players we’ve ever signed coming in, but you think that Ed should have passed on him and gone for someone better?

It’s not the " X and O’s" it’s the “Jimmy and Joe’s”

But this guy (Morelli) has to fill space.

[quote="kidcoyote, post:1, topic:826"]IMO, after landing Battle, it was time to aim high and try to land top 100 players. Many here felt that at the time.[/quote]

How many times can you possibly keep saying stuff like this. You think that Ed just decided, " you know what, we’re going pretty good right now so I’ll just aim lower and go for kids outside of the top 100". Look at the Ohio St football weekend, there were tons of top 100 kids on campus. My guess is that almost all of them will sign somewhere else. DO you think it’s because Ed isn’t working hard enough, or he’s just decided that we’re already good enough so he’ll give other kids some shots? He was aiming high, those kids chose to go to better hoops schools, and that we ended up with who we got. This year, we have one of the best players we’ve ever signed coming in, but you think that Ed should have passed on him and gone for someone better?

And since the Battle effect couldn’t really happen until after his freshman year, we are really starting with this season’s freshman class and on. So Edwards, Sasa, Timmy Frazier, Taran Buie, Trey Burke etc. are part of this. I think that’s an upgrade over where we were before Talor came on board. We don’t have any openings until the class of 2011 – and two of those are already accounted for by highly touted players. Some things take time.

Some things take time.
[/quote]

Boy, you really know how to hurt a guy! :wink:

Seven years 29 - 82

Seven years 29 - 82
[/quote]

I was talking about the impact of Talor Battle on recruiting. What does seven years 29 - 82 have to do with that?

[quote="tundra, post:6, topic:826"]Some things take time.[/quote]

Seven years 29 - 82

I was talking about the impact of Talor Battle on recruiting. What does seven years 29 - 82 have to do with that?
[/quote]

I think the point is not what impact Talor will have on recruiting, but what will the impact of 29-82 and
0-11 this year have on recruiting.

IMO, after landing Battle, it was time to aim high and try to land top 100 players. Many here felt that at the time.

It’s a good point, but I don’t buy it. Getting Battle was certainly a coup, but he should’ve known that prior to the 1st game. I knew it. I saw Talor and Taran play vs. Kevin Jones, (who’s Tundra’s favorite player) and with Jimmer Fredette(who’s LP’s favorite). He played vs a bunch of these guys and not only held his own, but excelled. He won MVP in a tourney which had a Wisky team with Gavinski and Trevon Hughes. He had 21 vs Jones’ team. Taran beat Jones’ team and won MVP in the state tourney. There was no reason to shoot so high as these two and much lower on others. Granted, guys like Shumpert, Kennedy, Pritchard were pursued, but you have close them. Teams like Siena, Maryland, Temple, URI, Geo Mason, are getting it done.

mjg, some of my post was in response to you. Don’t buy the freshman year not underway yet. Talor was 1st team all NYS. Gotta sell that. Can’t take a year off waiting for results. Gotta push it. Sell playing time. Do something. Look at Northwestern.

[quote="kidcoyote, post:1, topic:826"]IMO, after landing Battle, it was time to aim high and try to land top 100 players. Many here felt that at the time.[/quote]

It’s a good point, but I don’t buy it. Getting Battle was certainly a coup, but he should’ve known that prior to the 1st game. I knew it. I saw Talor and Taran play vs. Kevin Jones, (who’s Tundra’s favorite player) and with Jimmer Fredette(who’s LP’s favorite). He played vs a bunch of these guys and not only held his own, but excelled. He won MVP in a tourney which had a Wisky team with Gavinski and Trevon Hughes. He had 21 vs Jones’ team. Taran beat Jones’ team and won MVP in the state tourney. There was no reason to shoot so high as these two and much lower on others. Granted, guys like Shumpert, Kennedy, Pritchard were pursued, but you have close them. Teams like Siena, Maryland, Temple, URI, Geo Mason, are getting it done.

mjg, some of my post was in response to you. Don’t buy the freshman year not underway yet. Talor was 1st team all NYS. Gotta sell that. Can’t take a year off waiting for results. Gotta push it. Sell playing time. Do something. Look at Northwestern.

I’m sure ED was selling as hard as he could. Jeff Brooks followed Talor. So did Chris Babb. But it’s pretty hard to sell something no one has seen (unless your name is Steve Jobs).

So you really think that Ed “took a year off waiting for the results”? It’s like you think that he figured he had good enough players so why not just relax and take guys that are under the radar with the rest of the ships.

And how many times can you use Northwestern as an example, when they’ve been terrible up until this season. If you looked at recruits on paper, we’ve probably outrecruited them the past couple of seasons.

You think that Ed isn’t selling playing time or playing with Talor Battle or playing in the Big Ten or any other sales pitch that exists? They are working their butts off trying to recruit, and it’s pretty sad that you’d sit here and just decide that since we didn’t sign more top 100 players, it means that we didn’t try.

Maybe you could send Ed a suggestion that he tries signing a few McDonald’s All Americans with his next class, since it’s something that he probably hasn’t thought of yet.

Brooks was same year. I just expected if he got Talor, he’d get guys just as good, or at least go after them. Some he did. You gotta close. MD, Pitt, ND, GTech, went after Buie, and they didn’t get him, but they got other top players. All those teams, save maybe ND, are doing alright. MD also wanted Isiah Epps, same year as Buie, but he’s off to Pitt. I was hopeful on Sasa, as I saw huge problems up front. His recruiting, and then not playing almost at all, looks like at best, a serious miscalculation.

Let’s win Saturday.

[quote="mjg, post:10, topic:826"]I'm sure ED was selling as hard as he could. Jeff Brooks followed Talor. So did Chris Babb. But it's pretty hard to sell something no one has seen (unless your name is Steve Jobs).[/quote]

Brooks was same year. I just expected if he got Talor, he’d get guys just as good, or at least go after them. Some he did. You gotta close. MD, Pitt, ND, GTech, went after Buie, and they didn’t get him, but they got other top players. All those teams, save maybe ND, are doing alright. MD also wanted Isiah Epps, same year as Buie, but he’s off to Pitt. I was hopeful on Sasa, as I saw huge problems up front. His recruiting, and then not playing almost at all, looks like at best, a serious miscalculation.

Let’s win Saturday.

Brooks was the same year, but committed after Battle. I agree, let’s win Saturday.

[quote="tundra, post:6, topic:826"]Some things take time.[/quote]

Seven years 29 - 82

[/quote]
mjg,
I’m sorry. I misunderstood your post. I was just trying to make a "funny’ response. Your opinion is a valid point.
But… In my mind Ed has run out of time. I would hope the decision has already been made to “buy him out” immediately at the end of the season.

So you would hope that it’s a decision that Curley’s already made, instead of waiting to see how the next 8+ games play out?

And since the Battle effect couldn’t really happen until after his freshman year, we are really starting with this season’s freshman class and on. So Edwards, Sasa, Timmy Frazier, Taran Buie, Trey Burke etc. are part of this. I think that’s an upgrade over where we were before Talor came on board. We don’t have any openings until the class of 2011 – and two of those are already accounted for by highly touted players. Some things take time.

Who ?

[quote="tundra, post:14, topic:826"]I would hope the decision has already been made to "buy him out" immediately at the end of the season.[/quote]

So you would hope that it’s a decision that Curley’s already made, instead of waiting to see how the next 8+ games play out?

Unless they can string together a win streak to end the year and Ed and the team show great improvement , Curley should be sitting on the edge of his seat getting ready to make a move. Big Ten has not one dominant team this year but we still find ourselves sitting at 0-11 looking up at everyone else.

[quote="tundra, post:14, topic:826"]I would hope the decision has already been made to "buy him out" immediately at the end of the season.[/quote]

Unless they can string together a win streak to end the year and Ed and the team show great improvement , Curley should be sitting on the edge of his seat getting ready to make a move. Big Ten has not one dominant team this year but we still find ourselves sitting at 0-11 looking up at everyone else.

Well, there is clearly a difference between waiting to see if they can string something together, and already having a decision.

YES, (tentatively made). By this I mean he as decided (unless the sky falls) and has an “action play” outline started for the hiring process.
I hope big buck booster has already offered to “money up big time” to aid Curley in his thinking process.
Ed is 29 - 82. 7 years!! Would 33 - 86 for 7 years be much better. Now is the time to give a new coach scholorship availability.

Well, there is clearly a difference between waiting to see if they can string something together, and already having a decision.

If the rest of the year plays out the way many think the decision will be much easier. I’m hopin they can win out or so great improvement but I feel there are way to many holes on this current roster to make that happen.