More disturbing than being bad

I’ve seen plenty of bad basketball teams over the years at PSU. We were outmanned a lot but always seemed to give great effort, and I appreciated that as a fan. This group is bad and gets outhusled nightly, which should be a fatal combination for our current coach. IMO, being outhusled is 10 times worse than being outmanned. There’s no excuse for it. A few loafers on a team that isn’t very good to start with will get you beat up in the Big 10.

The absence of Cornley and DMo (2 huge gamers) really exposes the lack of effort sometimes.

I don’t know dan. In general I think the kids do hustle. But, sometimes in half court offensive sets the team is very stale and has little movement. I think it more just the kids not knowing what to do or when to do it than lack of hustle. Guys watching and waiting for Battle to make a play.

Agree. I think the fact that the guys are still scrapping is one of the few positives so far this year.

I don’t know if a lack of hustle or lack of toughness, but it really shows up in our inside play. So many times the guards will make a great dish, to an inside guy. At the very least, he should be going to the foul line. Instead the shot get blocked, layup or 3 in transition the other way. Those types of plays are killers.

We will never get the blue chippers at PSU so we must play harder than anyone in the league to be respectable. I just haven’t seen us outwork many/if any teams this year. That was not the case last year.

[quote="tundra, post:3, topic:776"]I don't know dan. In general I think the kids do hustle. But, sometimes in half court offensive sets the team is very stale and has little movement. I think it more so just kids not knowing when or what to do than lack of hustle. Guys watching and waiting for Battle to make a play.[/quote]

Agree. I think the fact that the guys are still scrapping is one of the few positives so far this year.

The sad part is the young guys are busting their tails. Our older guys who should be our leaders are loafing. You can see from Talor it is starting to wear on him and I don’t blame him. You can only give your all so much when you see guys giving 50%.

I really hope that Ed starts to play the younger guys more. Sasa isn’t going to improve without playing time. He looked a little lost out there but not horribly so. Purdue is a very good defensive team and other than the one pass into the post that got picked he played fairly well.

The one thing that would turn this team around in a heartbeat is if Brooks would step up his leadership, take over the role of being the rock, and have the others follow suit.

Like I said, Mel was so much more than a few points and rebounds. He was the heart of the team. I can’t imagine anyone on this squad giving anything less than max effort and going to the sidelines when Mel was there. If Brooks would display that…

[quote="tundra, post:3, topic:776"]I don't know dan. In general I think the kids do hustle. But, sometimes in half court offensive sets the team is very stale and has little movement. I think it more so just kids not knowing when or what to do than lack of hustle. Guys watching and waiting for Battle to make a play.[/quote]

The sad part is the young guys are busting their tails. Our older guys who should be our leaders are loafing. You can see from Talor it is starting to wear on him and I don’t blame him. You can only give your all so much when you see guys giving 50%.

I really hope that Ed starts to play the younger guys more. Sasa isn’t going to improve without playing time. He looked a little lost out there but not horribly so. Purdue is a very good defensive team and other than the one pass into the post that got picked he played fairly well.

Agreed on the younger/older guys effort. Althogh Battle deserves a ton of credit for staying within the team game and busting his tail. Its admirable.