PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

More detail on the upcoming NCAA changes

I still think the $2000 rule is extremely unfair to those not on a full scholarship.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/article/2011-10-27/di-board-adopts-package-proposals

In addition, the Board also approved a new three-level penalty structure:

The first level of the new structure limits teams to 16 hours of practice a week throughout five days, with the lost four hours to be replaced with academic activities. This represents a reduction of four hours and one day per week of practice time.

Does anyone else find it strage that it takes a penalty to reduce practice time and increase class/academic activities?

If they want to put the student back in the student-athlete, they should make the maximum number of practice hours in a week equal to or less than the minimum number of credit hours per semester for full time student status. Across the board, not just for poor academic performing programs.

Apparently, offering the extra $2,000 full-cost scholarship is a conference decision. Since Jim Delaney was one of the people who first suggested it, I think its a safe bet that the B1G will be one of the conferences offering the full-cost scholarships.

This is another way for the Big Six (?) conferences to separate from the rest of college sports. How many recruits are going to turn down the extra $2,000 per year? If you’re being recruited by a school in a conference whose members can’t afford the full-cost scholarship versus a conference (like the B1G, thanks in part to the BTN), that does offer a full-cost scholarship, I wonder what your choice will be.

The consolidation of money and power in schools in a few conferences may be a good thing for the B1G and Penn State, but I’m also a college sports advocate, and I don’t see it as a good thing for college sports as a whole.

I probably need to study the legislation more, but do the field hockey and soccer student-athletes get the $2,000 in addition to the football and men’s basketball players? If yes, that will place a financial burden on athletic departments that could have some pretty strong aftershocks.

The headcount sports are covered fully (football, men’s & women’s basketball, women’s volleyball, women’s tennis and women’s gymnastics) - 145 in total.

All the other sports can offer partial scholarships, so it all depends how that breaks down, however for many sports, it would be difficult for that sport to offer more than one, sometimes two full scholarships, and still be able to field a competitive team.

So no, only a handful of the field hockey, soccer and all other sport student-athletes benefit from this, which is extremely unfair and misguided by the NCAA.

[quote=“Tom, post:1, topic:2762”]I still think the $2000 rule is extremely unfair to those not on a full scholarship.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/article/2011-10-27/di-board-adopts-package-proposals[/quote]
TOTALLY agree!!
In general I think the new rules are mostly lip service BS. Stuffed shirts making huge salaries using a lot of “smoke and mirrors” to KMF (Keep the Money Flowing.) If it wasn’t for PSU hoops (and football to a lesser degree) I would stop following all this D1AAAAAAAAAAA crapula.
I find D2 and D3 sports much more entertaining!!

I guess the NCAA didn’t know about any of this either:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7156617/michael-beasley-alleges-improper-benefits-kansas-state-wildcats-lawsuit-ex-agent

NCAA puts stipend on hold:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7357868/ncaa-puts-2000-stipend-athletes-hold

If I’m reading this correctly, players who signed their LOI in November will still get the $2,000 stipend. And those who decided to wait until the spring could be out of luck.

Some conferences already have agreed to start giving out the additional money, and NCAA vice president David Berst acknowledged Wednesday that many of the 1,000 or so student-athletes who have signed national letters-of-intent did so with the expectation of receiving the additional money.

Those athletes will get the stipend, the NCAA announced in a statement on its website.

But unless the override measure fails or the board passes a modified version, athletes who sign with schools in February or April would be prohibited from receiving additional money.

Such hypocrisy from the NCAA.

They should just give those recruits the option to have their LOIs voided if for some reason the stipend was the only reason they signed.

If anything, those on full scholarship have less need than those on partial.

That was my biggest gripe to begin with.

[quote=“mjg, post:7, topic:2762”]NCAA puts stipend on hold:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7357868/ncaa-puts-2000-stipend-athletes-hold

If I’m reading this correctly, players who signed their LOI in November will still get the $2,000 stipend. And those who decided to wait until the spring could be out of luck.

[quote]Some conferences already have agreed to start giving out the additional money, and NCAA vice president David Berst acknowledged Wednesday that many of the 1,000 or so student-athletes who have signed national letters-of-intent did so with the expectation of receiving the additional money.

Those athletes will get the stipend, the NCAA announced in a statement on its website.

But unless the override measure fails or the board passes a modified version, athletes who sign with schools in February or April would be prohibited from receiving additional money.[/quote][/quote]

So for next year’s class, Brandon will get $8000 over the 4 years and Akosa will get $0?

Here’s the NCAA release.

http://ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/resources/latest+news/2011/december/implementation+of+miscellaneous+expense+allowance+rule+suspended+until+january

Of course, they try to make it a Title IX concern, even though there are plenty of male athletes in partial scholarship sports that would get hosed by this rule, too.

[quote=“Tom, post:8, topic:2762”]Such hypocrisy from the NCAA.

They should just give those recruits the option to have their LOIs voided if for some reason the stipend was the only reason they signed.[/quote]

Can’t really bring themselves to giving the athletes some money and admit that this is already the realm of professional athletics.

Meanwhile, Urban Myer signed a deal that will put his salary alone at the equivilent value of over 200 full time scholarships !!! (the football program can only give 85) >:(