PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

More asleep at the wheel pieces

Lions could incorporate high-tempo offense
By Emily Kaplan
Collegian Staff Writer

Borovnjak disappointed to miss 2010-11 season
By Alex Angert
Collegian Staff Writer

What do you mean by asleep at the wheel? ???

… wasn’t it you specifically who was complaining about how the collegian was “asleep at the wheel” when it came to basketball coverage lately?

Yes I was, but I didn’t know if he meant that or something else.

I’m just glad they are starting to cover the team. To not cover them during the off season was just puzzling to me. Especially not even having a section for the team on the sports page was just poor form.

Sort of scary when the players admit they don’t know what type of offense they are going to run.

Men’s basketball lacking experience in frontcourt By Jared Shanker Collegian Columnist

[quote=“jjepsu92, post:4, topic:1414”]Yes I was, but I didn’t know if he meant that or something else.

I’m just glad they are starting to cover the team. To not cover them during the off season was just puzzling to me. Especially not even having a section for the team on the sports page was just poor form.[/quote]

When has the Collegian, or any other newspaper really covered the basketball program during the off season? What has the program done to warrant this season’s coverage to be any different?

If you would take a look at the Collegian’s site, you will notice that not every team has their section posted on the sports page. It’s because they are using a CMS that only displays sections that have recent activity. Is it bad form not to have the men’s volleyball section appear on the top page of teh sports section?

I’m more concerned about that they haven’t reconnected to the Collegian archive yet.

Battle ready to win By Alex Angert Collegian Staff Writer

Certainly fits this thread. Some of the same quotes as other articles in it. That writer sure is liberal with paragraph usage. 27 sentences, 18 paragraphs. Might be some sort of record.

[quote="CAPPY, post:8, topic:1414"][url=http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2010/10/26/talor_battle.aspx]Battle ready to win By Alex Angert Collegian Staff Writer[/url][/quote]

Certainly fits this thread. Some of the same quotes as other articles in it. That writer sure is liberal with paragraph usage. 27 sentences, 18 paragraphs. Might be some sort of record.

Pretty common with many top book authors/publishers. (At least in the genre that I read.) Fewer words get S P R E A D out to create more pages. Also popular is creating many new chapters. A recent book I read had 138, I believe. Add in many blank pages and you can expand a book by about 60%.
P.S. I think they still charge the same… :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“tundra, post:10, topic:1414”]Pretty common with many top book authors/publishers. (At least in the genre that I read.) Fewer words get S P R E A D out to create more pages. Also popular is creating many new chapters. A recent book I read had 138, I believe. Add in many blank pages and you can expand a book by about 60%.
P.S. I think they still charge the same… :P[/quote]

You know what’s not pretty common? A tundra post with no “quotes”. :wink:

[quote="tundra, post:10, topic:1414"]Pretty common with many top book authors/publishers. (At least in the genre that I read.) Fewer words get S P R E A D out to create more pages. Also popular is creating many new chapters. A recent book I read had 138, I believe. Add in many blank pages and you can expand a book by about 60%. P.S. I think they still charge the same............... :P[/quote]

You know what’s not pretty common? A tundra post with no “quotes”. :wink:

“I” learned everything “I” know “about” writing “from” the National Lampoon “issue”…“How to Write Good!!” :wink:

I’m shocked to learn there were egos on this team last year. :wink:

And, NONE this year ?? :slight_smile:

[quote=“CAPPY, post:6, topic:1414”]Men’s basketball lacking experience in frontcourt By Jared Shanker Collegian Columnist
[/quote]I really like this quote from Jeff. Hopefully, this is what we’ll see from Oliver in games.

“Bill brings energy and perimeter shooting,” Brooks said. “Every time Bill gets it and he’s open, it’s a knockdown jump shot. Defensively he’s all over the place, blocking shots, getting deflections, getting rebounds.”

[quote="CAPPY, post:6, topic:1414"][url=http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2010/10/22/mbb_big_boys.aspx]Men's basketball lacking experience in frontcourt By Jared Shanker Collegian Columnist [/url][/quote]I really like this quote from Jeff. Hopefully, this is what we'll see from Oliver in games.
“Bill brings energy and perimeter shooting,” Brooks said. “Every time Bill gets it and he’s open, it’s a knockdown jump shot. Defensively he’s all over the place, blocking shots, getting deflections, getting rebounds.”

I don’t think it was much of a loss with the departures of Ott and Edwards, though Sasa going down was big. He would’ve fit into something like a 4 and 1 offense. Given his good hands and foot skills, he could’ve put up some points. I see both Jamie Dixon and Jay Wright have a DVD on the 4 and 1. I wonder if it’s the same video with different intro and cover.

http://www.amazon.com/Jamie-Dixon-Spread-1-Offense/dp/B001DXKX00/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1288103367&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Jay-Wright-1–Motion-Offense/dp/B001DXGVO2/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1288103450&sr=1-1

Those videos seem like great recruiting tools…More recruits want to be “outs” than “ins” in college. Great to be able to say "Our coach is an EXPERT on the perimeter offense…see he made a video."
Funny…I see more ~itt kids becoming “ins” than becoming “outs”…once they get into the program…go figure.

[quote="CAPPY, post:6, topic:1414"][url=http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2010/10/22/mbb_big_boys.aspx]Men's basketball lacking experience in frontcourt By Jared Shanker Collegian Columnist [/url][/quote]I really like this quote from Jeff. Hopefully, this is what we'll see from Oliver in games.

I don’t think it was much of a loss with the departures of Ott and Edwards, though Sasa going down was big. He would’ve fit into something like a 4 and 1 offense. Given his good hands and foot skills, he could’ve put up some points. I see both Jamie Dixon and Jay Wright have a DVD on the 4 and 1. I wonder if it’s the same video with different intro and cover.

http://www.amazon.com/Jamie-Dixon-Spread-1-Offense/dp/B001DXKX00/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1288103367&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Jay-Wright-1–Motion-Offense/dp/B001DXGVO2/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1288103450&sr=1-1

They aren’t. Most of these coaching videos use their own teams. Dixon’s videos feature Pitt and Wright’s, Nova.

It’s interesting that many coaches use some offense like this. The day’s of really using a post set up seem gone, or greatly reduced. Something seems a bit “hollow” by the 4 out 1 in offense. Doesn’t seem to be many coaches who teach or prefer inside play. If you look at UM, I thought Beilein sort of wasted Deshawn Sims. One game vs. PSU(I can’t remember if it was last year or two years ago) he lit PSU up for 25 pts. and something like 12-14 rebounds with great % shooting, all inside. The next game he was on the perimeter, and PSU won. I suppose that a 4 and 1 offense can give you inside play but it just seems so many teams are really perimeter teams, and it just doesn’t seem to be as solid a game plan. As good as Nova has been, they just seem to lose to physical teams. Last year, they lost 6 of their last 9, despite having Reynolds, Fisher and Stokes, and were eliminated by St. Mary’s(the year before they had a solid Dante Cunningham, who looks like he’ll get some more minutes this year). Samhan, the opposing center had 32 points in 32 minutes, beating Nova 75-68, yet vs. Baylor, Samhan was held to 15 points, and Baylor killed them, 72-49, holding the rest of St. Mary’s to zilch. Nova had so much trouble with Samhan, they tried everything to stop him and the rest of St. Mary’s team did better than vs. Baylor. Pete Newell used to say that even if your center can’t score, you still need to use him inside, to get passes he can kick out or hand off, and set screens down low, and of course to collapse the defense so the outside opened up. West thought getting away from this style of play was a mistake, and he operated the “old way” with great success. Phil Jackson’s Lakers triangle offense sort of “old way” as well.

Brothers bring bond By Emily Kaplan
Collegian Staff Writer