PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

MLB

Cool moment in Boston tonight.

More good stuff at Fenway.

1 Like

Several fantastic moments during that game, not the least of which was a homer.

1 Like

What a send off for Steve Blass.

2 Likes

Shame they couldn’t have sent him out with a respectable season instead, but it’s a small silver lining.

:+1: Too bad that they can’t fire the owner!

Also…

1 Like

Agree with firing the owner, and I think Huntington should definitely be fired, if for no other reason the horrendous trade of Glasnow, Meadows and Baz (all first round picks) for Chris Archer. That trade will set the franchise back for years.

2 Likes
1 Like

Glasnow was a fifth round pick. The other two were first rounders.

There is a grass roots movement to try to do something about ownership. I believe this article is free for all to enjoy.

1 Like

What a day in the mlb, both dogs win on the road to advance.

1 Like

Hard to understand why Kershaw struggles so much in the post-season. Those back-to-back home runs on consecutive pitches in the 8th inning turned the tide for the Nats.

Added to my reading list. Might try to squeeze it in during the Series.

Ten Innings at Wrigley: The Wildest Ballgame Ever
Baseball Book Reviews

Ten Innings at Wrigley: The Wildest Ballgame Ever, with Baseball on the Brink, a book review by Rick “Shaq” Goldstein, Ten Innings at Wrigley: The Wildest Ballgame Ever, with Baseball on the Brinkwritten by Kevin Cook. Shaq says: Forty-five runs in one game at Wrigley… Too bad someone had to win!

Pirates are cleaning house. Fired their manager before the season ended. The President was let go last week. And yesterday the GM was fired. Hopefully they completely overhaul what they are doing – how they scout, how they draft, how they develop players and how they maintain a winning roster in the majors.

keep going and fire the owner too. :grin:

1 Like

It would be great if he would sell to someone with deeper pockets. But that’s not in the cards in the near future. But, I was actually impressed by some of the things he (Bob Nutting) said yesterday. He didn’t get defensive about anything.

He said that the Pirates had a direction. Then things got mixed up and they lost their direction. They need to get it back. He’s giving Travis Williams the control he needs to get the job done.

Travis’ first question when he got the call was “are you committed to winning?”. Travis is not a schmuck, so keep an eye on him. If he sticks around, things are going the way he wants. If he bolts for another opportunity, it’s probably not a good sign for the Pirates future.

Travis also made a good point about the loyalty of the fans. He said the fact that they are pissed off is a great sign. It means they are out there and they care. If they were apathetic, it would be much worse. Gaining their trust back will be hard work, but it’s easier than trying to drum up new interest.

A lot of work to do - hire a GM, then a Manager, then the rest of the staff. Hopefully they scouting department is completely overhauled with quality people and they start drafting better players again. And then are actually able to sign them. And develop them.

We’ll see. For the record, (I just looked this up and it’s several years old, so maybe no longer accurate) the Pirates are in the 22nd ranked tv market. These markets are worse:

1. Seattle
  2. Baltimore
  3. Cincinnati
  4. San Diego
  5. Milwaukee
  6. Tampa Bay
  7. Oakland
  8. Kansas City

Of note, perennial power St. Louis sits only three slots ahead at 19.

As a Royals fan, I see a lot of similarities between the 2 clubs. The Royals hired new GM Dayton Moore back in 06 (from the Braves) and it really took almost 10 years to re-build the organization from scratch, including the scouting team, coaching in the minors, a whole re-boot of the way they do business.
Even with all that, it takes a few “hits” in the draft, and then a few lucky trades to fill out the peices to beat out the big spenders.

Royals are on Rebuild 2.0 after the first go-round created the 14-15 team. We’ll see where that goes.

Congratulations to the Washington Nationals from a long-time diehard Phillies fan living in the DMV. Hard to believe how many elimination games they won after trailing late.

Road team won every game in this series. Fortunately for the Nats they had four road games.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like