MLB - Phillies

Let’s see, yesterday’s game was cancelled because the temp. was 18 degrees with snow. So…why don’t we schedule today’s (Sunday) game for 8:07 p.m.???

NEVER under estimate the power of money/network influence in sports (college and pro.)

There’s a game at 12 ET and a game at 7 already.

I’m not sure why they didn’t put this game at 3/3:30. Forecast for then it 47 degrees. 10pm has it back in the mid-30s.

The forecast for today also still has a chance of snow/ice pellets through midday. Maybe that’s more the reason it’s a late start.

TBS does not want to compete with the Broncos in the Denver market and the Yankees have to be in prime time. So it’s either the late start or the noon ET start. Can’t put the Red Sox on with a 10 PM start so, Phils get the late start. Oh and Angels fans have to get up for a 9AM PT Sunday morning game, because TBS doesn’t want to compete against the Patriots in the afternoon.

It all sucks unless you are a Yankee or Red Sox fan. Or a fan of a team that didn’t make the playoffs. That truly is worse.

It reminds of a World Series game many years ago. I think it was early 70s. It was during the time MLB was first beginning to play World Series games in the evening hours. There was a good bit of controversy about the idea. Well, Bowie Kuhn (the commissioner) was sitting in the first base box seat section. Boy, did he “stand out.” You see he elegantly dressed in a suit and tie while everybody else wore winter coats with hoods and gloves and maybe rain gear. You see, it was SO COLD, that it was amazing that it was pouring down rain!
Bowie was making management’s point that World Series night games were a good idea. If I remember correctly they played for several innings before stopping and cancelling the game because of the weather.

In hindsight Bowie made a lot of MLB owner’s richer with his “stand.”

While I both play and coach baseball nearly year round, I pay very little to no attention to Major League Baseball (thank you McGwire, Sosa and Company). With that said, I feel MLB should end its season at the end of August and have the playoffs in September. After all what truly is the big deal about playing 120 vs 162 games? Some tainted records that will never be broken again? It will never, ever happen. But the fact remains that unless you’re a fan of the Yankees, the Red Sox or any other team that might be in the post season, you are watching a regular season football game over the baseball playoffs, and its not even close. Baseball is losing out and losing out big time due to how they operate.

Phil Sheridan has a good column in the Philly Inquirer this weekend about this latest mess that MLB has gotten itself into in regards to the weather/timing of games.

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/columnists/phil_sheridan/20091010_Phil_Sheridan__Baseball_scheduling_is_hurting_the_sport.html

Um…isn’t that about a 25% reduction in games? Games still account for a major source of revenue revenue I’m guessing that some would consider that to be a big deal. I’d rather see them shorten spring training and start teh season earlier. Yes, you’ll have more weather issues at the start of the season, but you have the entire season to make them up. Perhaps even alter the existing CBA to allow more day-night doubleheaders to minimize loss of revenue.

That being said, as a Phillies fan, I’ve been screwed thus far trying to watch the games. First two games during work hours, one game that runs well past bedtime and now a game that starts before I get off work

However, I’ve found the secret to making a Brad Lidge appearance a stress free experiance…

…fall asleep during the commercial break between the top and bottom of the 9th

What about just plain regular douple headers. In my youth I remember Sunday as being the regular douple header day.

BUT BUT BUT the answer to this is that the owners care nothing for anything BUT money money and more money. But as a fan we have a choice. We can just “NOT WATCH” and/or “not go to games.” If you really like baseball like many people do you can follow a minor league team or a college team in your area. Or High School or sandlot. Just say NO or NO MORE to teams/leagues that you feel are cheating you.

professional sports have always been about the money. they are business ventures, not community service.

Yeah…but…Now we have to consider the governments giving them special protections/exemptions and billion dollar places (stadiums) to conduct their “business” THEN one can argue that the community has “involvement” in the ventures.

That is so very true 'tree and one of the reasons why I choose to dive into the Little League/Pop Warner/high school scene in baseball/football/basketball over sitting in the stands at the TED or the Georgia Dome. I guess having kids has really changed my focus on what’s important and what I want my kids to actively experience on a more local/community level over the passive nature of going to see a Major League baseball game while forking over 2 Franklins for tickets, parking, hot dogs, Coke’s and the like.

One solution for MLB. Build more retractable dome stadiums in cold weather places. But you just can’t do that to Fenway, Wrigley and the new Yankee/Met stadiums. So onto the next idea…

More retractable domes? Baseball stadiums shouldn’t need retractable domes, the games should be played when the weather is suitable. We don’t need 100’s of millions more of taxpayer money going to build retractable doems.

Nittany, you actually had it right the first time - shorten the season. There is no need for 162 games to be played in the regular season alone, and there is definitely no need for baseball to be played in November. I know it won’t happen because of the money, but it should. Owners can keep most of their profits - just cut back on those ridiculous player salaries, maybe implement a salary cap. Now is a perfect time to do it, using the bad economy as an excuse. I know plenty of people who have had their salaries reduced (if not lost their jobs altogether) who aren’t making 8 figures (unless you count the figures to the right of the decimal point). So you make the following changes:

1. Reduce the season by 25% so it is played in “baseball” weather.
  2. Reduce all salaries by 25%.
  3. Reduce the cost of tickets by 25% so regular folks can afford to go the games again.
  4. Implement a salary cap to quell the skyrocketing salaries.
  5. Remove the Yankees from MLB as punishment for buying so many championships over the years.

Yes, I know that none of these suggestions would even come close to being considered. Just getting my rant on.

They don’t need to shorten spring training. They can just start it sooner. It’s in Florida and Arizona, so weather is not really an issue. However, we’ll still see cold weather games in March if the season moves up (we see them now in April). I guess that’s better than during the playoffs. I also like the idea of more weekend day / night doubleheaders. If they had one every weekend, the season could get shortened by a month. But that would mess up the pitching rotation, so maybe not such a good idea. Baseball has been off my radar since '94 anyway, so you guys battle this one out without me.

[quote="NittanyIllini, post:10, topic:98"]One solution for MLB. Build more retractable dome stadiums in cold weather places. But you just can't do that to Fenway, Wrigley and the new Yankee/Met stadiums. So onto the next idea...[/quote]

More retractable domes? Baseball stadiums shouldn’t need retractable domes, the games should be played when the weather is suitable. We don’t need 100’s of millions more of taxpayer money going to build retractable doems.

Nittany, you actually had it right the first time - shorten the season. There is no need for 162 games to be played in the regular season alone, and there is definitely no need for baseball to be played in November. I know it won’t happen because of the money, but it should. Owners can keep most of their profits - just cut back on those ridiculous player salaries, maybe implement a salary cap. Now is a perfect time to do it, using the bad economy as an excuse. I know plenty of people who have had their salaries reduced (if not lost their jobs altogether) who aren’t making 8 figures (unless you count the figures to the right of the decimal point). So you make the following changes:

1. Reduce the season by 25% so it is played in “baseball” weather.
  3. Reduce the cost of tickets by 25% so regular folks can afford to go the games again.
  5. Remove the Yankees from MLB as punishment for buying so many championships over the years.

Yes, I know that none of these suggestions would even come close to being considered. Just getting my rant on.

I hear ya’ blue2blue. You are preachin’ to the choir.

[quote="NittanyIllini, post:5, topic:98"]With that said, I feel MLB should end its season at the end of August and have the playoffs in September. [b]After all what truly is the big deal about playing 120 vs 162 games?[/b] Some tainted records that will never be broken again? It will never, ever happen.[/quote]

Um…isn’t that about a 25% reduction in games? Games still account for a major source of revenue revenue I’m guessing that some would consider that to be a big deal. I’d rather see them shorten spring training and start teh season earlier. Yes, you’ll have more weather issues at the start of the season, but you have the entire season to make them up. Perhaps even alter the existing CBA to allow more day-night doubleheaders to minimize loss of revenue.

That being said, as a Phillies fan, I’ve been screwed thus far trying to watch the games. First two games during work hours, one game that runs well past bedtime and now a game that starts before I get off work

However, I’ve found the secret to making a Brad Lidge appearance a stress free experiance…

When was the season lengthened from 156 games to 162?

…anybody?..

[quote="NittanyIllini, post:5, topic:98"]With that said, I feel MLB should end its season at the end of August and have the playoffs in September. [b]After all what truly is the big deal about playing 120 vs 162 games?[/b] Some tainted records that will never be broken again? It will never, ever happen.[/quote]

…anybody?..

They were 154 not 156 - and the answer is 1961/62.

[quote=“blue2blue, post:11, topic:98”]1. Reduce the season by 25% so it is played in “baseball” weather.

Yes, I know that none of these suggestions would even come close to being considered. Just getting my rant on.[/quote]

Let me guess, you’re a Reds fan. ;D

I’m a huge baseball fan. Always have been, always will be. That being said, I’ve vowed not to step foot in PNC Park again until my Pirates start proving to me they want to win and not just make money. Baseball has gotten itself into a huge mess, and most of it is due to the greed of the owners. That shouldn’t surprise anyone. It’s just a mirror of society as a whole. I could go on and on, but I’ll stop now as I feel my blood pressure rising.

…anybody?..

It was 154, and it was 1961 when games expanded, plus there was team expansion in the AL. There was the LA Angels (now Anaheim) and the Senators (now Rangers) in '61, which diluted the pitching talent, and led to some awesome offensive years. Maris and Mantle most obvious, but guys like Norm Cash(.365, 41 hr’s), Jim Gentile (46 hr’s), Colavito(45 hr’s), Killebrew(46 hr’s) also had big years. 5 of those 6 had .600 slugging percentages. '62 brought the Mets and Houston Colt 45’s into the NL. ‘62 did not have the same offensive burst in the NL, with only Aaron and Mays with more than 40 hr’s. In kind of an unusual stat, Tommy Davis won the RBI crown, with a whopping 153 RBI’s, due to Maury Wills’ stealing 104 bases, and Davis getting 230 hits, which led the league. Tommy Davis led in hits, average(.346), and RBI’s. Wills won MVP, though the Giants won the pennant, then lost in 7 to the Yankees. Game 7 ended with men on base and McCovey hitting a screaming line drive to Bobby Richardson with men on base. Incredibly, mediocre Ralph Terry was on the mound for the Yankees. Only Mays, Aaron and Frank Robinson had .600 slugging percentages in the NL season.

Actually, I’m pretty sure -though feel free to correct me- they are now technically the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim…
Their name changes in order (off the top of my head) is:
Los Angeles Angels>>>California Angels>>>Anaheim Angels>>>Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

Not that it’s relevant, just thought I’d mention it :wink:

Wow what a game tonight! Jimmy Rollins doubles with two out in the ninth.