PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Mississippi

Looks like we have a good shot in this game. Ole Miss has a 2-1 record with wins over Ark. St and Murray St and a loss to Dayton - all at home. They aren’t particularly big (don’t see anybody over 6’9" on their roster). They were 25-11 last year including 9-7 in the SEC.

This is the kind of game Talor loves - new venue, team from a big time conference and a chance to gain some national attention. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a W.

As always, key will be to get points from someone other than Talor. Jeff has filled that bill quite admirably so far - hopefully he continues in Oxford.

chance to gain some national attention

From a game with no cameras in the building which aren’t in the hands of scouts? ???

From a game with no cameras in the building which aren’t in the hands of scouts? ???[/quote]

He gets to play in a different region of the country (out of the northeast/midwest) and impress coaches, players and the media there. With so many games on TV now, it is hard to get true national exposure on TV unless you’re playing in the NCAA finals.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:2, topic:1542"][quote]chance to gain some national attention[/quote]

From a game with no cameras in the building which aren’t in the hands of scouts? ???[/quote]

He gets to play in a different region of the country (out of the northeast/midwest) and impress coaches, players and the media there. With so many games on TV now, it is hard to get true national exposure on TV unless you’re playing in the NCAA finals.

The good news is that Ole Miss hosts LSU in a football game the next day so maybe there’s a media member or two actually there.

I don’t understand the “media” lovefest. I don’t care what a few journalist students think??
I would think the pro scouts would be much more important. The pros know about Talor. (Remember his post season workout camp/national team play/3 years of BigTen play.)
The pros will make their own “eyeball” opinions.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:2, topic:1542"][quote]chance to gain some national attention[/quote]

The good news is that Ole Miss hosts LSU in a football game the next day so maybe there’s a media member or two actually there.

Not to nitpick, but isn’t it the Egg Bowl vs. Mississippi State the next day? Either way, some reporters hopefully do see us!

Talor Battle is going to perform well in this game, but not to impress scouts or the media. He is all about winning, and getting to the NCAA tourney. And he knows that winning this game is going to be a very important step in reaching that goal. Look for a superb effort from #12 on Friday.

Yes, it is the Egg Bowl (Ole Miss vs Miss State) this weekend in Oxford, so I’m not sure how many of Mississippi’s media will care about Penn State basketball. And considering that Auburn/Alabama will be played that same Friday afternoon just to the East, I would think that any media in the area would have all eyes on that contest. Now if we were playing in Tuscaloosa that evening after that game, then we might be talking.

The first game of importance, in regards to eyeballs on the PSU program, will be Maryland. It’s amazing how many college basketball folks keep tabs on the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. And not just in the footprint of those respective conferences. The event is a boon for both conferences, as kids and media from all over the country sit up and take notice. And for many, it’s really their first taste of college hoops on the season.

Yes, it is the Egg Bowl (Ole Miss vs Miss State) this weekend in Oxford, so I’m not sure how many of Mississippi’s media will care about Penn State basketball. And considering that Auburn/Alabama will be played that same Friday afternoon just to the East, I would think that any media in the area would have all eyes on that contest. Now if we were playing in Tuscaloosa that evening after that game, then we might be talking.

The first game of importance, in regards to eyeballs on the PSU program, will be Maryland. It’s amazing how many college basketball folks keep tabs on the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. And not just in the footprint of those respective conferences. The event is a boon for both conferences, as kids and media from all over the country sit up and take notice. And for many, it’s really their first taste of college hoops on the season.

It has developed offshoots. I know the BIG XII and the PAC TEN have something similar.

It has developed offshoots. I know the BIG XII and the PAC TEN have something similar.

However those conferences suck.

However those conferences suck.

The pac-10 has had two down years now, but they will be back… and the big xii was the second best conference in the country last year.

Where you getting that they “suck”?

Hoping we get the win on Friday. Seems like we have gotten better in each game, it sucks that we can’t watch it though.

olemisssports.com: Ole Miss Welcomes Penn State Friday Night

Ole Miss game notes

Not to nitpick, but isn’t it the Egg Bowl vs. Mississippi State the next day? Either way, some reporters hopefully do see us!

I even looked it up. I guess my eyes can’t follow a straight line across their schedule. Time for an eye exam. :frowning:

As does the Big East/SEC…but not nearly the scope nor depth of the BT/ACC.

http://www.bigeast.org/News/tabid/435/Article/230/nd-pitt-rutgers-shu-to-play-in-2010-secbig-east-invitational.aspx

Penn State Men’s Basketball: Next Game Primer with Dan Earl - Mississippi

gopsusports.com: Nittany Lions Take On Mississippi Friday

PSU game notes

Lions’ role players providing by Jeff
Rice