PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Misconceptions I continue to see from "fans"

1. Our offense is not the problem. Yes it could be better, but defense is and always has been the problem under Ed. You don’t allow Maine to score 74 points, you just don’t.

With that in mind - stop clamoring for a big man to provide points. Again, it would help against future opponents - but it’s not our issue in the 4 losses this season and in all likelihood it’s not going to be the reason we lose big10 games either. A factor, sure - but not the main issue. We score enough points to be a .500 team in the big 10, it’s the fact that we don’t stop the other teams from scoring well enough that will be our demise most nights.

The defense may be better off switching to a zone the rest of the way. For one, to protect better against silly fouls. Two, because we over-help on defense and that’s where so many wide open perimeter shots come from. This is unselfish play, but it’s costing us serious points. And three, because we just aren’t quick enough to line up against most of the big10 3’s and 4’s and expect to stop them. A well-run, long zone can be very effective at the highest levels of basketball and we are much better equipped for that right now given our short bench and slow moving feet (outside of talor and tim). It may sound counter-intuitive to switch to a zone when you’re getting killed from 3, but we can really only improve by doing so right now given the way we play this half-deny, very spread out man to man. Wisconsin will eat us up with their patience on offense given what we do defensively right now, I’m really hoping Ed recognizes this - I think it could make a huge difference in our defensive fg% numbers.

1. My second thing is that this team is not lacking in the talent the way many of the “newcomers” want to claim it is. What was overrated in guys like Billy and Buie’s abilities thus far is underrated and overlooked in guys like Tim and DJ - who are very smart players that quietly make nice plays on both ends of the court.

Where everyone got the idea that it takes a team full of superstars to win games from, I don’t really know. A look at Wisconsin again will prove that’s just a bunch of crap. They have a lot of players like Frazier and Jackson that just go out there and get the job done. We could use about 4 more guys like those two on the team.

1. Which brings me to my last point - this team isn’t as bad as everyone wants to paint them either. They have not looked like the same group of guys since that Maryland game - I think a lot of ego was torn down that evening, and there may have been some serious finger-pointing going on as well afterwards. But I have not seen the same chemistry, camaraderie, or even enjoyment being shown by the vast majority of guys on this team since that evening.

I don’t know if they can pull themselves out of this now - and they could wind up having a really awful record to show for themselves when it’s all said and done if they don’t. But this team is better than they have showed the last 3 weeks, and I also will not be shocked to see them shut some of the haters up in some of their upcoming weeks. It’s going to take some sorting out off the court though, if you ask me. I really think there’s some problems between players (and maybe coaches) based on the body language I see out there the last 4 games. If Ed can’t bring them back together, that will be his biggest failure with this group imo. And ultimately it may be (and should be) his last chance with this program if that’s the case.

I think you have good points but I do think there is definitely lack of talent in post position players if I have any disagreement of statement. I don’t even mean in an offensive sense. I strong defensive post player would probably make a world of difference on this team.

Craftsy,

In reading into your post and summarizing I have posted here few times, I assume I am one of the “newcomers” you refer to. I have quietly read the board for nearly the past decade, but have rarely posted. In regards to your points:

1. Offense IS the PROBLEM!!! In regards to ZERO legitimate post presence!! The PSU offense centers around Battle creating, either for himself or getting in the lane and dishing. How many legitimate quick hitters do they run to get Andrew Jones a touch??? None, because he isn’t a threat.They have run several Allen Iverson double high cross screens to get Battle looks over the years…BIG DEAL! The box set that has been utilized over the last two years in which the weakside block had a lob over the top from the opposite side elbow worked at times last year( Using Bill Edwards primarily). Other than that, the half court offense is useless. It is dribble the shot clock down, get a flat screen for Battle at the top of the key, and PRAY. Don’t blame the x and o guy…the bottom line is there is ZERO talent to compete at the Big Ten level. PERIOD!!! You want to know why John Calipari is a “genius”??? He has FREAKING TALENT!!! TALENT wins, and PSU doesn’t have any, in spite of your claims. Back to PSU offense…a lack of not only a BIG TEN post threat, combined with ZERO wings that can create their shot at this level equals ZERO respect needed to be given to PSU’s offensive players outside of Battle by their opponents.

2. Letting you in on a little secret…Opposing teams are going to get wide open jumpers regardless whether PSU goes man or zone. The “overhelping” you refer to is the man-to-man rotation due to on-ball defender being beaten off the dribble, causing the help to begin to rotate. A zone defense in which they don’t dig down into the post will result in Wisconsin and every other Big Ten team DESTROYING the post defense. So now PSU digs down from the wing and gives up WIDE OPEN JUMPERS!! I think I now know why Ed is bald!!

3. Please, please, please, please, please STOP with the talk about “talent” on this squad. You telling me about Tim and DJ “who are very smart players that quietly make plays on both ends of the court” is laughable. It sounds almost like a CYO description. Tim Frazier, while having the trait of speed, has not been blessed with a semblance of basketball IQ! DJ has squeezed every ounce of ability out of his extremely limited athletic body. He is a nice role player being asked to do WAY TOO MUCH on a Big Ten team!! PERIOD! He would have been a nice player at the A-10/CAA/MAC level of D1. As I said before and will stand by it…Battle and the physical abilities of Brooks are the only semblance of Big Ten basketball on this squad.

4. THIS TEAM IS AS BAD AS EVERYONE THINKS!!!

I might be new the this board, but I am not new to watching PSU hoops. I had season tickets for 8 years when I lived in SC. I watched a lot of terrible teams coached by Dunn. Right now this team is looking as bad as any of them. It isn’t just the losses, they have been bad in their recent wins. The team looks as if it gave up after the Maryland game. That was weeks ago. If they haven’t turned it around by now, I don’t see how they do.

Turning it around in my mind right now would require a miraculous bubble spot to the NCAA tournament. Because of the situation the team put themselves in that would require an 11-7 record plus a win in the BTT tournament. Since we can’t even be sure we’ll get 1 win in the conference right now that scenario is laughable. I’ve read people saying that making it to any postseason tournament would be good enough for them to keep Ed around. I vehemently disagree, but if I go along with that theory I think we would have to win 8 more games assuming we play 30 total games including a loss in the BTT. How in the world could this team win that many games? Right now matching the 3 wins from last year is probably the best we can get.

I agree with most of that, Craftsy. I do think the guys we have are more talented than some folks give them credit for. I especially like Frazier. He might not put up huge numbers, but he’s got a good basketball I.Q. and hustles like crazy. You can tell he’s trying to do everything he’s asked to do as well as he can. I would like to see him get more aggressive, though. A few more drives to the basket would be cool to see.

The two things I gotta disagree with you on are the lack of a high quality post player and the offense. I mean, the defense has definitely struggled, especially when it comes to clamping down on perimeter shooters. But our offense is just ridiculously inconsistent, and I think that ties into not having a big man who can score on a regular basis. Having a guy like that would pull the defense down closer to the basket and open things up on the outside. I do think that Battle, DJ, Brooks and Buie can all shoot well outside the paint. But aside from Battle, I don’t think there are any guys on this team who can create their own shots on a consistent basis. Scoring more in the post would balance that out. If we had a big who could draw more attention his way, our shooters would get a lot better looks night in and night out, IMHO.

But if we’re lucky, maybe Ackerman or Alexis can fill that void. I was hoping Borojnvak would help out with this problem, but I guess I’ll have to wait until next year to find out if I’m right or wrong about that.

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:1, topic:1677”]1) Our offense is not the problem. Yes it could be better, but defense is and always has been the problem under Ed. You don’t allow Maine to score 74 points, you just don’t.[/quote]Offense is a major problem as well as defense. It’s ok to give up 74 to Maine if you score 100. That 22% against UMd wasn’t as much of an aberration as some think. We are challenged on both sides of the ball.

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:1, topic:1677”]The defense may be better off switching to a zone the rest of the way. [/quote]agreed

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:1, topic:1677”]2) My second thing is that this team is not lacking in the talent the way many of the “newcomers” want to claim it is. What was overrated in guys like Billy and Buie’s abilities thus far is underrated and overlooked in guys like Tim and DJ - who are very smart players that quietly make nice plays on both ends of the court. [/quote] I don’t think anyone on here has ever hyped Billy’s talent. Taran yes, but he’s only 11 games into his FR year. Lots of time for him to learn how to play better. Tim and DJ play way too quietly. If there were 2 more scoring options on the floor having 2 smart quiet players would be fine. We have 4 quiet players playing with Talor.

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:1, topic:1677”]Where everyone got the idea that it takes a team full of superstars to win games from, I don’t really know. A look at Wisconsin again will prove that’s just a bunch of crap. They have a lot of players like Frazier and Jackson that just go out there and get the job done. We could use about 4 more guys like those two on the team. [/quote] Yes, but not as four of the five starters. Talor is our only consistent scoring option. The last 2 years our guys go out there and DON’T get the job done.

I hate to say this, but if you match up our starters against any team in the B10/11 how many times will you take more PSU starters than our opponents? Iowa. Indy maybe, but that’s it. And we’re starting 4 seniors.

Definitely I would take our talent over Iowa. I’m not sure there would be any others. Indy has a couple of very nice players. Michigan has 2 stud freshmen who could be big time players. Plus Morris is playing a heck of a lot better and has a pretty decent supporting cast.

[quote=“psubball, post:3, topic:1677”]Craftsy,

In reading into your post and summarizing I have posted here few times, I assume I am one of the “newcomers” you refer to. I have quietly read the board for nearly the past decade, but have rarely posted. In regards to your points:

1. Offense IS the PROBLEM!!! In regards to ZERO legitimate post presence!! The PSU offense centers around Battle creating, either for himself or getting in the lane and dishing. How many legitimate quick hitters do they run to get Andrew Jones a touch??? None, because he isn’t a threat.They have run several Allen Iverson double high cross screens to get Battle looks over the years…BIG DEAL! The box set that has been utilized over the last two years in which the weakside block had a lob over the top from the opposite side elbow worked at times last year( Using Bill Edwards primarily). Other than that, the half court offense is useless. It is dribble the shot clock down, get a flat screen for Battle at the top of the key, and PRAY. Don’t blame the x and o guy…the bottom line is there is ZERO talent to compete at the Big Ten level. PERIOD!!! You want to know why John Calipari is a “genius”??? He has FREAKING TALENT!!! TALENT wins, and PSU doesn’t have any, in spite of your claims. Back to PSU offense…a lack of not only a BIG TEN post threat, combined with ZERO wings that can create their shot at this level equals ZERO respect needed to be given to PSU’s offensive players outside of Battle by their opponents.

2. Letting you in on a little secret…Opposing teams are going to get wide open jumpers regardless whether PSU goes man or zone. The “overhelping” you refer to is the man-to-man rotation due to on-ball defender being beaten off the dribble, causing the help to begin to rotate. A zone defense in which they don’t dig down into the post will result in Wisconsin and every other Big Ten team DESTROYING the post defense. So now PSU digs down from the wing and gives up WIDE OPEN JUMPERS!! I think I now know why Ed is bald!!

3. Please, please, please, please, please STOP with the talk about “talent” on this squad. You telling me about Tim and DJ “who are very smart players that quietly make plays on both ends of the court” is laughable. It sounds almost like a CYO description. Tim Frazier, while having the trait of speed, has not been blessed with a semblance of basketball IQ! DJ has squeezed every ounce of ability out of his extremely limited athletic body. He is a nice role player being asked to do WAY TOO MUCH on a Big Ten team!! PERIOD! He would have been a nice player at the A-10/CAA/MAC level of D1. As I said before and will stand by it…Battle and the physical abilities of Brooks are the only semblance of Big Ten basketball on this squad.

4. THIS TEAM IS AS BAD AS EVERYONE THINKS!!![/quote]

Maybe going back to lurking would be best for you. You either haven’t learned reading comprehension, or you just don’t know what you’re watching when you turn a basketball game on. And for the record, typing in caps and adding a ton of exclamation points doesn’t make your point for you… it just makes you look like a lunatic.

You’ve said far too many incorrect things to address them all individually, so let me summarize as best I can.

We aren’t losing because of offense, we are losing because of defense. This is a fact. You can say you don’t like the way we get our points, but nobody is really happy with that. It’s still not the point I made and I have no idea why you’re bringing it up.

Secondly, the overhelping I’m referring to isn’t purely guys being beaten off the dribble. It’s guys anticipating somebody will be beaten off the dribble and leaving their men too often, and being in a 2-pass away position when they should be in full denial. They have the philosophy of good man to man defense in mind, which is good, but they are over committing to help-side principles and leaving them men wide open when we would be better off forcing the guy with the dribble to beat us closer to the rim. If you are a more athletic team you can get away with this, but we cannot. A zone would actually benefit us in this way because you wouldn’t have guys dribble penetrating against it, and you certainly wouldn’t have much posting up against it - it’s an instant double or triple team when the ball goes into the post without any movement from the defense. I’ve watched great teams struggle to score against zones at times, it takes great passing and movement from all 5 guys and it’s a great way for a slower team to still play tough defense.

Lastly - if you can’t see the basketball IQ of Tim Frazier, you really just haven’t watched him this year whatsoever. And DJ would look like a 2nd team big ten player if he consistently had 2 guys able to make shots besides him on the floor. He’s definitely a role player, but this league is filled with guys like him that wind up looking a lot better than him because of their supporting cast. To then defend Brooks after tearing down those guys… well, I have nothing left to say to you. You just don’t get it.

Spades,

While we are on the topic of misconceptions…Your statement that “Battle, Brooks, DJ and Buie can all shoot well outside the paint” might need to be adjusted. Without having a shot chart on the year to compare shots outside the paint, I just used 3-pt shooting as the basis. Battle and Brooks yes, but Buie shooting 7-28 (25%) from 3 and DJ at 8-29 (28%) pokes holes in your theory. Frazier and basketball I.Q.??? If by that you mean he doesn’t attack in transition going against numbers like he did last year, then, yes, his IQ is now higher. 1.8 Assist to turnover ratio is average for a pg…want to bet it doesn’t stay that high once the cupcakes are gone…

1) Our offense is not the problem. Yes it could be better, but defense is and always has been the problem under Ed. You don't allow Maine to score 74 points, you just don't.
Offense is a major problem as well as defense. It's ok to give up 74 to Maine if you score 100. That 22% against UMd wasn't as much of an aberration as some think. We are challenged on both sides of the ball.
The defense may be better off switching to a zone the rest of the way.
agreed
2) My second thing is that this team is not lacking in the talent the way many of the "newcomers" want to claim it is. What was overrated in guys like Billy and Buie's abilities thus far is underrated and overlooked in guys like Tim and DJ - who are very smart players that quietly make nice plays on both ends of the court.
I don't think anyone on here has ever hyped Billy's talent. Taran yes, but he's only 11 games into his FR year. Lots of time for him to learn how to play better. Tim and DJ play way too quietly. If there were 2 more scoring options on the floor having 2 smart quiet players would be fine. We have 4 quiet players playing with Talor.
Where everyone got the idea that it takes a team full of superstars to win games from, I don't really know. A look at Wisconsin again will prove that's just a bunch of crap. They have a lot of players like Frazier and Jackson that just go out there and get the job done. We could use about 4 more guys like those two on the team.
Yes, but not as four of the five starters. Talor is our only consistent scoring option. The last 2 years our guys go out there and DON'T get the job done.

I hate to say this, but if you match up our starters against any team in the B10/11 how many times will you take more PSU starters than our opponents? Iowa. Indy maybe, but that’s it. And we’re starting 4 seniors.

On part 1, we would have to have the best offense in the entire country to be beating teams every night that shoot over 50 percent from the field and don’t turn it over, like 3 of our 4 losses have been (I’ll grant you MD was a problem of offense, but not the norm for this group of players the last 3 years). Or, we could stay where we are offensively on average and just tighten up the defense a few percentage points and win just as many games. You tell me which is going to be easier to do.

And on trading rosters - I’m not saying we are AS talented as the top of this league, but we’re in that 6-9 range for sure in terms of our starting 5… and I’ve seen a lot worse groups of individuals come together to be much better teams than us. The talent could always be better, but we have enough at this point to be as good at 6th or 7th in this league with the right execution this season. Doesn’t look like it’s going to come together that way, but the talent is hated on way too much here. We don’t get the most out of our guys every night while other schools seem to.

[quote=“psubball, post:10, topic:1677”]Spades,

While we are on the topic of misconceptions…Your statement that “Battle, Brooks, DJ and Buie can all shoot well outside the paint” might need to be adjusted. Without having a shot chart on the year to compare shots outside the paint, I just used 3-pt shooting as the basis. Battle and Brooks yes, but Buie shooting 7-28 (25%) from 3 and DJ at 8-29 (28%) pokes holes in your theory. Frazier and basketball I.Q.??? If by that you mean he doesn’t attack in transition going against numbers like he did last year, then, yes, his IQ is now higher. 1.8 Assist to turnover ratio is average for a pg…want to bet it doesn’t stay that high once the cupcakes are gone…[/quote]

I didn’t say that they’re all shooting well from outside. I said that I think they CAN shoot well from outside, but that the lack of any real offensive threat down low makes it that much more difficult for them to get good looks outside the paint. So no, no need for me to adjust my opinion on that.

And yes, I think Frazier is a smart player. He still hesitates a bit too much, IMO, but I like him. As far as pushing in transition, I’m pretty convinced that that has more than just a little to do with our offensive strategy and gameplanning, which is something I’ve criticized Ed on before.

C21, it’s posts like this that have people not take you seriously. Offense is not a problem? Do you even watch these games? How many FTM’s/FTA’s did AJ get last night? The game before? The one before that? How about 0-0, 0-0, 0-0? And Brooks the last 3? 2-2 vs. Maryland, the two shots coming when we were down 25 points, with 3 freakin’ minutes left. These were the 1st FTA’s of the f***'n game by non-Talor. 37 f***'n minutes without an FTA? The entire team? Are you crazy! But then Jeff really stepped it up vs. VTech and Maine, when he went 0-0 and 0-0! Talk about soft!

Our bigs play like pussies and our offense is a disaster. Jamie Dixon and Jay Wright both wrote books about the motion offense, both titled, “4 in 1 out motion offense.” You know what ours should be called? “3 out, 2 invisible motion offense.” Most offenses have 4 on one side, 1 on the weak side. This is how you overload zone defenses. What do we do? 3 on the strong side, 2 on the weak side. You don’t have numbers when you do this. In addition, if Talor has the ball, the closest players aren’t 12-15’ away, they’re 20-25’ away, in the corner or top of key. It’s the most asinine setup ever. It makes no sense. Every pass is a problem cause the receiver is too distant. Yes, you get some screens to open one of those guys on the weak side, but that assumes it’s a good screen(see AJ, offensive foul, moving screen violation). A few times early last night passes went to DJ at the high post, with good results. Then that stopped. Ed is clueless. When a team plays that badly, and gets that many bad shots, it’s not the players. It’s the coach and the offensive scheme.

[quote=“psubball, post:3, topic:1677”]Craftsy,

4. THIS TEAM IS AS BAD AS EVERYONE THINKS!!![/quote]

If you think Callipari is what’s needed in Happy valley, you may as well sign off and never come back.

I would rather LOSE EVERY GAME than to have a sleezeball like that coaching on a Penn State sidelline.

[quote=“Spades88, post:6, topic:1677”]I agree with most of that, Craftsy. I do think the guys we have are more talented than some folks give them credit for. I especially like Frazier. He might not put up huge numbers, but he’s got a good basketball I.Q. and hustles like crazy. You can tell he’s trying to do everything he’s asked to do as well as he can. I would like to see him get more aggressive, though. A few more drives to the basket would be cool to see.

The two things I gotta disagree with you on are the lack of a high quality post player and the offense. I mean, the defense has definitely struggled, especially when it comes to clamping down on perimeter shooters. But our offense is just ridiculously inconsistent, and I think that ties into not having a big man who can score on a regular basis. Having a guy like that would pull the defense down closer to the basket and open things up on the outside. I do think that Battle, DJ, Brooks and Buie can all shoot well outside the paint. But aside from Battle, I don’t think there are any guys on this team who can create their own shots on a consistent basis. Scoring more in the post would balance that out. If we had a big who could draw more attention his way, our shooters would get a lot better looks night in and night out, IMHO.

But if we’re lucky, maybe Ackerman or Alexis can fill that void. I was hoping Borojnvak would help out with this problem, but I guess I’ll have to wait until next year to find out if I’m right or wrong about that.[/quote]

Good post, one disagreement, on Frazier. On a team like this which has issues creating shots and points, can’t really afford a pg who can’t score. He’d be okay on a team with a bunch of scorers, but he’s not as good as Talor at pg, and Marshall, Bowman, Buie can put up more points than he can. We basically have two starters scoring, Talor and DJ. Need some more. On DJ, I think he’s doing okay. He is what he is, and shows up every night. He’s not a post player, but shouldn’t be on this team.

I have kid blocked, but I still see him post after nearly every remark I make. Llet me guess what it says… “something something something low post offense. something something blah blah insert another coaches name something something.”

If I’m wrong, let me know and I’ll take him off ignore.

I agree with most of that, Craftsy. I do think the guys we have are more talented than some folks give them credit for. I especially like Frazier. He might not put up huge numbers, but he's got a good basketball I.Q. and hustles like crazy. You can tell he's trying to do everything he's asked to do as well as he can. I would like to see him get more aggressive, though. A few more drives to the basket would be cool to see.

But if we’re lucky, maybe Ackerman or Alexis can fill that void. I was hoping Borojnvak would help out with this problem, but I guess I’ll have to wait until next year to find out if I’m right or wrong about that.

Good post, one disagreement, on Frazier. On a team like this which has issues creating shots and points, can’t really afford a pg who can’t score. He’d be okay on a team with a bunch of scorers, but he’s not as good as Talor at pg, and Marshall, Bowman, Buie can put up more points than he can. We basically have two starters scoring, Talor and DJ. Need some more. On DJ, I think he’s doing okay. He is what he is, and shows up every night. He’s not a post player, but shouldn’t be on this team.

Oh, I don’t disagree with you on Frazier’s lack of scoring. That’s one area of his game that is severely lacking. I guess I just never expected him to be that kind of player, and so I’m not disappointed that he isn’t (though, like I said, it would be nice to see him drive to the basket a little more often than he does). When I watched his high school films, I saw a guy who could run the offense, find the open man, get everyone involved and play solid defense. I didn’t think he would be expected to do too much scoring when we recruited him, but the circumstances have obviously changed since then, as you’ve already pointed out.

Even I, as Tim Fraziers number 1 fan (around here) can say that I think he needs to add a bit of scoring to his game in the next two seasons. But in terms of running the team like a point guard and what he provides with ball pressure defensively, he’s made leaps and bounds from last year to this that I don’t think anybody could have predicted. I certainly didn’t.

If he’s able to, in the future, give us 5-6 points a game and 4-5 assists, and continue to get better about limiting turnovers… That’s a solid player that any team could use.

I’m actually wondering why he hardly played in the 2nd half yesterday - I know they needed points in a hurry which isn’t his deal, but even if you go offense for defense with him and let him try to get some steals on the one end. Seemed like a huge blunder by Ed sitting him so much of that comeback attempt.

Kid is correct, we can’t afford a guard that doesn’t score on this team. Frazier is very good, but not the right choice at this juncture. I look for the 5 that ended the game to be the new starters…Frazier and Jones will provide support off the bench.

Not sure which 5 ended the game (didn’t watch, wasn’t home), but I’d like to see a lineup with Talor, Buie, Marshall, Jackson and Brooks. Maybe even sub in Oliver for Jackson. And press a lot more often after made baskets. And substitute a lot more. What do we really have to lose at this point? At least make the games more fun to play – and watch.