PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Minor Violation, again

Hey fellas, first of all what’s up. Haven’t been on here in too long. I do miss it so I’m going to try and get back in the groove.

Anyway, not to start things off on the wrong foot but this whole “talk about recruits” thing is getting out of hand.

One of the coaches, names escapes me, came to the Nittany Nation meeting tonight and gave us a recruiting breakdown. Mostly places they were, which is fine, but then he finished up by giving us the low-down on Brandon Taylor. Which I’m 90% sure is still against the rules.

Not a big deal, but it is the 3rd time.

I saw your tweet about that. Also saw one from the Nittany Nation account:

Can't wait to see you play #ChambersEra RT @BrandonTaylor24: It's a great day to be a nittany lion!

So, isn’t Nittany Nation a student organization of the University? If so, isn’t this also a violation?

[quote=“JohnT, post:2, topic:2682”]I saw your tweet about that. Also saw one from the Nittany Nation account:

So, isn’t Nittany Nation a student organization of the University? If so, isn’t this also a violation?[/quote]

I’m not sure about that. Depends on where the line is. /Looks at Lar.

It’s starting to become disturbing. That’s three times already.

I saw your tweet about that. Also saw one from the Nittany Nation account:
Can't wait to see you play #ChambersEra RT @BrandonTaylor24: It's a great day to be a nittany lion!

So, isn’t Nittany Nation a student organization of the University? If so, isn’t this also a violation?

You just retweeted what he said and added your comment, right? Nothing wrong with that.

[quote=“NGameday, post:1, topic:2682”]Hey fellas, first of all what’s up. Haven’t been on here in too long. I do miss it so I’m going to try and get back in the groove.

Anyway, not to start things off on the wrong foot but this whole “talk about recruits” thing is getting out of hand.

One of the coaches, names escapes me, came to the Nittany Nation meeting tonight and gave us a recruiting breakdown. Mostly places they were, which is fine, but then he finished up by giving us the low-down on Brandon Taylor. Which I’m 90% sure is still against the rules.

Not a big deal, but it is the 3rd time.[/quote]

Actually, he might be ok there. A coach isn’t allowed to comment publicly. But a meeting with the student organization could be considered in house and private - thus, no foul.

[quote="JohnT, post:2, topic:2682"]I saw your tweet about that. Also saw one from the Nittany Nation account:

So, isn’t Nittany Nation a student organization of the University? If so, isn’t this also a violation?[/quote]

Let’s just say that, if it isn’t, it’s dangerously close. It’s certainly the type of violation that, in this new social media age, when done by an individual, is usually just ignored by the NCAA. But coming from an account that is maintained by a university supported organization starts to get into the danger zone.

Maybe, I’m a wise-guy…BUT…are all of you non basketball professionals SURE these are violations??
I guess the rule book is available on line BUT how do you know an adendum(s) has not been released to schools/coaches explaining the situation in more detail. Kind of like a Q & A.

[quote=“tundra, post:8, topic:2682”]Maybe, I’m a wise-guy…BUT…are all of you non basketball professionals SURE these are violations??
I guess the rule book is available on line BUT how do you know an adendum(s) has not been released to schools/coaches explaining the situation in more detail. Kind of like a Q & A. [/quote]

The rulebook is the rulebook.

13.10.2 Comments Before Signing. Before the signing of a prospective student-athlete to a National
Letter of Intent or an institution’s written offer of admission and/or financial aid, a member institution may comment
publicly only to the extent of confirming its recruitment of the prospective student-athlete. The institution
may not comment generally about the prospective student-athlete’s ability or the contribution that the prospective
student-athlete might make to the institution’s team; further, the institution is precluded from commenting
in any manner as to the likelihood of the prospective student-athlete’s signing with that institution. Violations of
this bylaw do not affect a prospective student-athlete’s eligibility and are considered institutional violations per
Constitution 2.8.1. (Revised: 1/14/97)

[quote="NGameday, post:1, topic:2682"]Hey fellas, first of all what's up. Haven't been on here in too long. I do miss it so I'm going to try and get back in the groove.

Not a big deal, but it is the 3rd time.[/quote]

Actually, he might be ok there. A coach isn’t allowed to comment publicly. But a meeting with the student organization could be considered in house and private - thus, no foul.

Since this staff has already flubbed twice on commenting on recruits publicly, I’d put this one into that same category.

[quote=“NGameday, post:1, topic:2682”]Hey fellas, first of all what’s up. Haven’t been on here in too long. I do miss it so I’m going to try and get back in the groove.

Not a big deal, but it is the 3rd time.[/quote]99% of the dinners/banquests I attend bball/fball coaches name drop but i think they do so with the confidence that stuff will stay in house. :wink:

[quote="NGameday, post:1, topic:2682"]Hey fellas, first of all what's up. Haven't been on here in too long. I do miss it so I'm going to try and get back in the groove.

Not a big deal, but it is the 3rd time.[/quote]99% of the dinners/banquests I attend bball/fball coaches name drop but i think they do so with the confidence that stuff will stay in house. :wink:

That’s probably true, but those usually have an “Off record” caveat to them. Anyone could have walked in to this meeting, and anyone could have made it their facebook status

Maybe, I'm a wise-guy................BUT..................are all of you non basketball professionals SURE these are violations?? I guess the rule book is available on line BUT how do you know an adendum(s) has not been released to schools/coaches explaining the situation in more detail. Kind of like a Q & A.

The rulebook is the rulebook.

13.10.2 Comments Before Signing. Before the signing of a prospective student-athlete to a National
Letter of Intent or an institution’s written offer of admission and/or financial aid, a member institution may comment
publicly only to the extent of confirming its recruitment of the prospective student-athlete. The institution
may not comment generally about the prospective student-athlete’s ability or the contribution that the prospective
student-athlete might make to the institution’s team; further, the institution is precluded from commenting
in any manner as to the likelihood of the prospective student-athlete’s signing with that institution. Violations of
this bylaw do not affect a prospective student-athlete’s eligibility and are considered institutional violations per
Constitution 2.8.1. (Revised: 1/14/97)

Last revision here was 1-14-97. How do you know there in not a more current revision or clearification. I’m retired but I worked for a very large company that had rules handbooks/manuals for most EVERYTHING. People in the field usually had only elementary knowledge. If that. Then these manuals/handbooks were consistly revised. Few, if anyone, keep up with revisions.
I still would not be so quick to judge.
I just see it (the comdemation) as unusual…particularly coming so soon after the extreme Ed Apologist years where some posters took Ed Apologistness (new word) to unbelievable levels.

If there was a more current clarification or revision, it’d be noted in the NCAA Manual, which gets revised and published each summer.

AND…your sure the version the public sees on line is the final, totally complete version?? Maybe…BUT, I would not wager much money on it!

That’s probably true, but those usually have an “Off record” caveat to them. Anyone could have walked in to this meeting, and anyone could have made it their facebook status

very true

[quote="Tom, post:14, topic:2682"]If there was a more current clarification or revision, it'd be noted in the NCAA Manual, which gets revised and published each summer.[/quote]

AND…your sure the version the public sees on line is the final, totally complete version?? Maybe…BUT, I would not wager much money on it!

I’m not concerned that there is some unpublished addendum regarding coaches discussing recruits. Could there be something regarding social media or other hot issue? Maybe. But not discussing recruits.

If there was a more current clarification or revision, it'd be noted in the NCAA Manual, which gets revised and published each summer.

It is, but if we keep wishing it’s not, maybe it won’t be! That notion seems to animate a lot of conversations here.

This rule is a classic obfuscation by the NCAA. The NCAA rules are complex, poorly thought out, and often poorly communicated. However, they are a mish-mash caused by the competitive atmosphere that seems to say “anything not prohibited is OK.” So the NCAA keeps layering in more rules on top of rules.

For example, you are allowed very few contacts with prospects. All the big-time schools push the envelope on this, calling when they are not allowed, engineering “bumps” that are clearly not accidental, etc. There is a sense, I believe, that if you are not cheating a little, you are not trying hard enough. And also that if you are not cheating a little, you are going to get squashed. We lose someone to UConn, Kentucky, OSU or Michigan and the non-apologists are not going to accept that it was in part because we are playing by the letter and spirit of the rules.

I am a huge fan of the new regime. Just in case, Tundra, you think a reality check is actually a veiled attack of them, or backdoor support of the old regime. But sports fans everywhere live in a dream world. It’s part of the fun. Our religion (The Nittany Lions) is the one true church, yours (Buckeyes, Wolverines, Hsukies, et al.) is a bunch of fairy tales.

I like Chambers and crew a lot so far, but they need to shut up about recruiting until after National LOI day. Matt Stolberg or Tim Curley needs to make this point with the MBB staff emphatically.

It seems as though its not an issue of ignoring the rules but rather not knowing them. If I had to guess there were not too many people like us at Boston University. If you are used to talking openly about this stuff bc you coach a small school with less media attention, it might be easy to slack on a few things here or there. I dont think this is all that bad, but Id hate to see them slip up with something greater