Minnesota Game

Aside from just scoring predictions what are everyone’s thoughts on the game? The last game on the road the Gophers shot lights out from the floor and were 9-9 from 3pt range. Since it’s unlikely that will happen again I just get the feeling that PSU has a shot in this game. Edwards and Frazier are getting better every game and the team will be well rested coming into the game.

Minnesota hasn’t gotten a signature win yet but they’ve still played a tougher schedule than PSU. I think they’ll be able to dominate down low if Jones doesn’t play his A game. Tubby also runs a well oiled machine, they run a good offense and make their FTs. Combine that with the caliber of player at Minnesota and this game will be no picnic. While I understand why PSU is the underdog I always have trouble picking against PSU. ;D

PSU has not seen a defense as good as Minnesota’s.

I am not looking forward to this game. There’s a good chance it could get ugly.

Crazy optimism here. We need this BAD. PSU 67-64

ED is 4-2 in B10 openers in his career. However, only one of those wins came against a team not named Northwestern (2004, against Minnesota, Ironically). In the two losses, we were destroyed @ tOSU a few years back and were beat up by MSU in 2005. A couple years ago (2008) we opened up at Northwestern and won, but in the very next game we won @ Illinois - a bit more formidable of an opponent.

At least, ED seems to have the team up for the B10 opener every year.

[quote=“eric17, post:2, topic:548”]PSU has not seen a defense as good as Minnesota’s.

I am not looking forward to this game. There’s a good chance it could get ugly.[/quote]

Tubby’s teams remind me of Pitino’s teams. Athletic, tough defensively, but not necessarily strategic, nor well game coached. If Minny kills inside, we lose. It they don’t, we have a chance. Key numbers here, IMO, will be rebounds, and points in the paint. On D, I’d like to see PSU press. The speed of our guards should be used to pressure other teams in the backcourt. It’s a big edge that should be exploited.

Thanks for the responses. Defense slipped my mind in the original post. They will be very good on defense, and PSU will need to catch them sleeping or on an off night to succeed. If the role players are able to contribute more than they did during the VT game PSU will have a shot.

We need someone besides Battle to step up in a big game. We also need to shoot better from the field and the line. All four losses have been under 35% from the field.

Here’s a little bit of info on Minnesota for you all to look at:

Current Record: 9-3
RPI: 66

Wins vs: Tennessee Tech, Stephen F. Austin, Utah Valley, Butler, Brown, Morgan State, St. Joes, NIU, South Dakota State

Losses vs: Portland, Texas A&M, Miami

The skinny:
Truth be told, this Gophers team is nearly exactly the same as last years. There is nothing new on their roster, no real new threats. The freshman Carter has been OK, but has shown that he’s still adjusting to this level. This game will be won and lost based on guard play, IMO. The Gophers have three guys who can really shoot the three, perimeter defense will be huge in this game.

-Devoe Joseph has improved from last year. He’s a streaky shooter who when he’s on can burn us.
-We already know Hoffarber can bomb three’s
-Westbrook has been their biggest threat at the guard position

Down low, I have never really been impressed by the Minny big men. My honest opinion of their inside players is that they do not defend well. Colton Iverson hacks and hacks and hacks. Keep dumping the ball down low, and it is a guarantee he will put himself in foul trouble. Ralph Sampson is a player who can score, but will also put himself into foul trouble very quickly. Our gurards and Cornley were able to get them both in foul trouble when we beat them at home last year. Iverseon had 4, Johnson fouled out and Samson had 4. Get them in foul trouble again and we win this game.

I think this is a tough game to open our B10 slate, mainly because Minny is a solid team at home. However, I also believe this is a winnable road game for us, mainly because there’s really nothing new about them from last year. Their highly touted recruits are in trouble and not playing,

We haven’t fared well at the barn…

08-09: 79-59 L
07-08: 75-68 L
06-07: 65-60 L

In my memory, the games in recent years haven’t gone well there. I’m not optimistic, but if this team is going to make some noise, the early schedule in the big ten is easier than the late schedule. It would be great to start off with a big road win.

[quote=“BleedPSU, post:8, topic:548”]Here’s a little bit of info on Minnesota for you all to look at:

Current Record: 9-3
RPI: 66

Wins vs: Tennessee Tech, Stephen F. Austin, Utah Valley, Butler, Brown, Morgan State, St. Joes, NIU, South Dakota State

Losses vs: Portland, Texas A&M, Miami

The skinny:
Truth be told, this Gophers team is nearly exactly the same as last years. There is nothing new on their roster, no real new threats. The freshman Carter has been OK, but has shown that he’s still adjusting to this level. This game will be won and lost based on guard play, IMO. The Gophers have three guys who can really shoot the three, perimeter defense will be huge in this game.

-Devoe Joseph has improved from last year. He’s a streaky shooter who when he’s on can burn us.
-We already know Hoffarber can bomb three’s
-Westbrook has been their biggest threat at the guard position

Down low, I have never really been impressed by the Minny big men. My honest opinion of their inside players is that they do not defend well. Colton Iverson hacks and hacks and hacks. Keep dumping the ball down low, and it is a guarantee he will put himself in foul trouble. Ralph Sampson is a player who can score, but will also put himself into foul trouble very quickly. Our guards and Cornley were able to get them both in foul trouble when we beat them at home last year. Iverseon had 4, Johnson fouled out and Samson had 4. Get them in foul trouble again and we win this game.

I think this is a tough game to open our B10 slate, mainly because Minny is a solid team at home. However, I also believe this is a winnable road game for us, mainly because there’s really nothing new about them from last year. Their highly touted recruits are in trouble and not playing,[/quote]

I think we have the best chance by getting it inside and getting their big men in foul trouble, but I always feel this way. “Keep dumping the ball down low” is a good idea, but we don’t do that. Last year we did. IMO, this will be the game. Our guards are better. I expect Edwards will start, and that’s good, but if we don’t get it inside, we won’t get their front line in foul trouble. Key stat: FTA’s. The team that gets more of them wins.

I agree with winning the game under the rim by getting the ball inside. However, thier post players are more experienced than ours, and they are at home where the refs will be a little easier on the whistle, allowing the gophers to hack a little more in the paint.

If we could suit up Amechi for this one, he could have had all 3 guys in foul trouble by himself. I’m just afraid we’re not experienced enough attacking the rim from up close that we won’t be effective and won’t get the calls from the refs. If that happens, we might try to get the ball inside a little in the 1st half, get some ugly posessions, and then by the 2nd half we’ll be back to the chuck-it-up show we’ve seen much too often.

If it plays out like this, I’d rate our odds at a W less than 5%… Talor would have to get HOT and even then I’m not so sure.

Minnesota is the fourth best shot-blocking team in the country. Just FYI. They know how to block shots, not hack.

Minn has lost this year to teams that hit the three and played good defense on the outside.

Talor has score 19 points twice and 21 points once against them…(plus a game of 0 points in 30mins)

If we play with out heads, and shoot decently we have a shot to get hot in the end long enough to steal one.

In all honesty though, in all of the close games they’ve playing they’ve lost and haven’t scored more than 65 points. Defense is going to be key to having a shot at this one. You give me a 5 point hole at halftime and I’m feeling pretty good.

gopsusports.com: Nittany Lions Open Big Ten Season At Minnesota Tuesday On ESPN2

PSU game notes

gophersports.com: Gophers Face Penn State in Big Ten Opener

Minney game notes

Any news about DJ’s knee?

hyper extention.he was walking around at the last game after
he had it wrapped.To the best of my knowledge he is go to play

[quote="tundra, post:15, topic:548"]Any news about DJ's knee?[/quote]

hyper extention.he was walking around at the last game after
he had it wrapped.To the best of my knowledge he is go to play

You WOULD know that…call him up and
creep?

What’s the deal PSUballer? Here’s your only other post on the forum…

I've read here forever, and I've never posted but I just have to say stop posting links to your stupid blog NGameday. You have 0 subscribers, and hardly any comments on your articles. You just spam up this wall with writing BDIA, BSD, and FOS could do for you. You're just a student. Keep posting here, stop putting up links.

Guess I’ve got myself an internet beef. Just ignore whoever it is, it doesn’t bother me.

I’ve been thinking about this game for a while and I’m starting to feel like we have a shot…I dont know why, but I’m feeling better than I did about it. That is if we show up and play defense, dont take dumb shots and stop playing like we’ve never seen a basketball. All in all this could be fun…I’m excited.

I was starting to feel better about the game, but then noticed that the Big Ten Geeks (on Twitter) have picked the burrowing rodents as the number 2 team in the Big 11.