Mike Rice

hey noobd…you will be getting a GOOD one! A coach who would be able to take Seton Hall or PSU to MUCH HIGHER ground! Enjoy the ride. I would envy SHU.

per PPG

Robert Morris coach Rice to meet with Seton Hall
Monday, March 22, 2010
Robert Morris head coach Mike Rice according to a source close to the situation, Robert Morris men’s basketball coach Mike Rice plans to meet Wednesday with officials at Seton Hall about that school’s coaching vacancy.

The source close the situation also said if Rice were offered the job at Seton Hall, there is “absolutely no doubt” he would make the jump from Robert Morris - a Northeast Conference school - to Big East member Seton Hall.

The Seton Hall position became open when the school fired coach Bobby Gonzalez last week.

In three years at Robert Morris, Rice has a 73-31 record and, in his most recent game, took No. 2-seed Villanova to the overtime before dropping an NCAA tournament first-round contest in overtime.

Rice’s Robert Morris teams have made two consecutive NCAA tournament appearances. He agreed to a contract extension with Robert Morris in April through the 2015-16 season

Gee, that about covers the recruiting window for HS Juniors. Looks like a pretty common thing. Of course, how binding is that extension of he can up and leave for Seton Hall?? Why is it that coaches “need the extension for recruiting” which gives them job security, yet when another opportunity comes along that never seems to be an issue (except in Rich Rod’s UM deal). I guess the Hall would offer him a signing bonus equal to the buy-out??

Yep, seems to be the leading candidate. I’m just questioning his “fiery” nature, as some of you have pointed out. However, a coach can be animated and be smart about it.

According to Wikipedia he was a St Joes assistant during the 2004 run… thats good experience. Was also an assistant at Pitt before he took the Robert Morris job.

I wonder if Karon Abraham would come with him (freshmen leading scorer for Robert Morris). I’m sure he could play for SHU… kid was a gamer against Villanova.

[quote=“noobd, post:3, topic:1031”]Yep, seems to be the leading candidate. I’m just questioning his “fiery” nature, as some of you have pointed out. However, a coach can be animated and be smart about it.

According to Wikipedia he was a St Joes assistant during the 2004 run… thats good experience. Was also an assistant at Pitt before he took the Robert Morris job.

I wonder if Karon Abraham would come with him (freshmen leading scorer for Robert Morris). I’m sure he could play for SHU… kid was a gamer against Villanova.[/quote]

I don’t know the exact rule, but I don’t think that’s allowed.

[quote=“noobd, post:3, topic:1031”]Yep, seems to be the leading candidate. I’m just questioning his “fiery” nature, as some of you have pointed out. However, a coach can be animated and be smart about it.

I wonder if Karon Abraham would come with him (freshmen leading scorer for Robert Morris). I’m sure he could play for SHU… kid was a gamer against Villanova.[/quote]

He is much more “animated” than “fiery.” He knows what he is doing. He teaches a very aggressive, maximum hustle/energy type of basketball. He is “intense” on the court because he wants his players to play "intense."
A poster on another board said Abraham would follow Rice anywhere. Abraham has a red-shirt year to use.
I think you have your man! Enjoy!

[quote="noobd, post:3, topic:1031"]Yep, seems to be the leading candidate. I'm just questioning his "fiery" nature, as some of you have pointed out. However, a coach can be animated and be smart about it.

I don’t know the exact rule, but I don’t think that’s allowed.

It’s allowed. He’d have to sit out a year but he could transfer.

[quote=“tundra, post:5, topic:1031”]He is much more “animated” than “fiery.” He knows what he is doing. He teaches a very aggressive, maximum hustle/energy type of basketball. He is “intense” on the court because he wants his players to play "intense."
A poster on another board said Abraham would follow Rice anywhere. Abraham has a red-shirt year to use.
I think you have your man! Enjoy![/quote]
Similar to the style Gonzalez was teaching… hopefully its more appealing to recruits. Hopefully the team is taught half court defense and offense this time.

Thanks tundra, and Lar for clearing up the transfer thing. I know players can’t transfer within their own conference, but besides that (as long as you have eligibility left) I don’t see why he couldn’t. Hes from Paterson, he can shoot from the perimeter (44% 85-192) and still just a freshman.

Seton Hall desperately needs a few outside shooters to replace Hazell after next season… Abraham could be one of the men to do that.

[quote="tundra, post:5, topic:1031"]He is much more "animated" than "fiery." He knows what he is doing. [b]He teaches a very aggressive, maximum hustle/energy type of basketball. [/b]He is "intense" on the court because he wants his players to play "intense." A poster on another board said Abraham would follow Rice anywhere. Abraham has a red-shirt year to use. I think you have your man! Enjoy![/quote] Similar to the style Gonzalez was teaching... hopefully its more appealing to recruits. Hopefully the team is taught half court defense and offense this time.

Thanks tundra, and Lar for clearing up the transfer thing. I know players can’t transfer within their own conference, but besides that (as long as you have eligibility left) I don’t see why he couldn’t. Hes from Paterson, he can shoot from the perimeter (44% 85-192) and still just a freshman.

Seton Hall desperately needs a few outside shooters to replace Hazell after next season… Abraham could be one of the men to do that.

There are no NCAA rules prohibiting players from transferring within their own conference (see Sharif Chambliss to Wisconsin).

^I think you lose a year of eligibility if you transfer in conference…or maybe you can’t take a redshirt and still have to sit out, which forces you to lose a year?

I’m not sure if it’s an NCAA or a B-10 rule, but in Sharif’s case, he had to pay his own way… that was the only difference with transferring within the conference.

[quote="NICU, post:9, topic:1031"]^I think you lose a year of eligibility if you transfer in conference...or maybe you can't take a redshirt and still have to sit out, which forces you to lose a year?[/quote] I'm not sure if it's an NCAA or a B-10 rule, but in Sharif's case, he had to pay his own way... that was the only difference with transferring within the conference.

That must be what I was thinking of. Looks like there are different rules for each conference.

http://compliance.pac-10.org/ccacaitems/surveys/ictransfers.pdf

I just remember people saying “Player X can’t play in the BE now” and things to that extent… I guess it was myth?

[quote="NICU, post:9, topic:1031"]^I think you lose a year of eligibility if you transfer in conference...or maybe you can't take a redshirt and still have to sit out, which forces you to lose a year?[/quote] I'm not sure if it's an NCAA or a B-10 rule, but in Sharif's case, he had to pay his own way... that was the only difference with transferring within the conference.

That is a Big Ten rule. Other conferences might have the same rule, but it’s not an NCAA rule.

Also, you don’t lose a year of eligibility. Chambliss played four years total.

That is a Big Ten rule. Other conferences might have the same rule, but it’s not an NCAA rule.

That’s correct. The NCAA treats in-conference transfers the same as out-of-conference. What a conference does, however, is up to them.

It does go by conference.

I think the BIG XII has a rule that a player must sit out 2 years if they transfers within the conference.

If ED would’ve been gone this year, Rice was my guy to replace him.

Philly background… which we need.

Nickname among peers is “bulldog” as a recruiter.

I like much of what I hear and see about Mike Rice. I wonder if going to Seton Hall (or a similar school with hoops tradition in a major conference) is too big of a jump for him from Robert Morris. I really imagined him landing at one of the higher mid-major schools when one of their coaches leaves for a big time opening. I do think he would be a good fit for PSU though since we seem to be like a low to mid major program in a big time league.

JWP

Rice and McCaffrey seem to be the leading two candidates for the SHU job. If Fran wants more money than SHU is offering, Rice will get the job. If somehow neither of these candidates are selected as the new head coach, Willard (Iona) is probably a distant third.

Is that coming from the media or the SHU message boards :wink:

Haha, many news articles. Some contradict, however. Some said McCaffrey was the leading candidate, others said he wasn’t even interested. But the truth came out that he was interested. Money is obviously the issue, since SHU is very cheap with their coaches.

Rice is visiting the school today for a meeting. Not sure if Fran has visited, or is planned to visit yet. Willard’s assistant coach is Shaheen Holloway, I’m sure you know the name if you’re a fan of college basketball over the past few decades.

I’ll start citing my posts. :smiley: My battery is about to die, but there isn’t anything official with Willard yet (I don’t believe). Someone had said that there was interest in Shaheen though, not sure if there was a link for that.

References -
Rice: http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/03/22/rice-to-meet-with-seton-hall-wednesday-kadeem-jack-to-visit-miami/

McCaffrey: http://www.nj.com/college-basketball/index.ssf/2010/03/siena_coach_fran_mccaffery_serious_about_interest_in_seton_hall_job_after_meeting_last_night.html