Michigan vs Northern Michigan

How is Michigan able to play a Division 2 school and have that count a regular season game? I know they did this last year as well. I would think that this would be a RPI killer. Aren’t there enough Division 1 schools that you don’t need to schedule a D2 school.

we did the same thing a few years ago. it does not count when calculating the RPI

Not, picking an argument. But, WHY doesn’t it count? Is not this a flaw in the RPI system? I am not very RPI knowledgeable.
Should not PSU schedule a couple of PSAC schools instead of Scared Heart or other low level D1 schools when we are looking for home winnable games.

[quote="manatree, post:2, topic:245"]we did the same thing a few years ago. it does not count when calculating the RPI[/quote]

Not, picking an argument. But, WHY doesn’t it count? Is not this a flaw in the RPI system? I am not very RPI knowledgeable.
Should not PSU schedule a couple of PSAC schools instead of Scared Heart or other low level D1 schools when we are looking for home winnable games.

If the only thing that you’re concerned with is the RPI, then it would make sense to play D2 schools instead of the really bad D1 teams. However RPI is just one tool of many that the committee uses, so at the end of the day it will still be frowned upon playing those D2 schools.

so do the victories over the d2 schools not count to their season totals when the NCAA tournament committee looks at their resumes? In my opinion, they should not.

Well, the committee is made of up humans, and the humans know the game was played, so it will be factored into their decision. How it’s factored will be up to each individuals decision making process.

I think Mich played a DII state school last year as well. You can probably get away with playing one DII school, but you can bet that two or more will be held against you. Besides, with their trip to Kansas this season, they could probably get away with playing Michigan-Dearborn, an NAIA DII school.

SHU played a D2 school last year, and it was pretty much not even counted. A really stupid scheduling decision. I don’t even think ESPN and other stat thingers added it to SHU’s record. Funny thing is, SHU almost lost. Would it have counted then?

It depends on how their season plays out. I doubt anyone here remembers (or even knew at the time) that 2009 MWC champion Utah lost their season opener to Division 2 SW Baptist last year, 80-79.

That the Utes went on to finish the regular season 21-8, winning the Mountain West Conference Tournament, which made a potential at-large bid moot. Although, if Utah had lost at some point in their conference tournament, they were still considered a pretty safe bet to get a bid, with top 20 RPI rating and a #27 rated SOS.