PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Michigan up 3 at the half vs. OSU

OSU not looking good. UM really dictating the pace.

You had to figure this was going to happen. I can’t look at it anymore. The flop they bought for a charge call was the death knell. Not that I can exactly root for Michigan…kind of a no-lose situation.

OSU started to take control, then UM started hitting 3s

OSU wins 62-53.

Thad Maata seemingly criticized the “hack-a-Sullinger” strategy teams are using

I want them undefeated when they come in.

Me too. And we won’t be using the hack attack on Sullinger because we don’t have enough forwards to give away fouls. We definitely don’t want Jeff grabbing strong guys in traffic.

Didn’t see much of the game, so I can’t speak for that specific call. But IMO, Sullinger does lead with his right shoulder on that spin move he likes down on the low left block. If a defender can control his urge to reach out and stay straight up (remember our discussion about Jones a few days ago), I think Sullinger would be susceptible to charge calls.

PSU won’t use Hack-a-Sullinger, but they’ll certainly get fouls called as a result of the Breathe-on-Sullinger

I thought is was the Be-in-the-same-zip-code-as-Sullinger with the game in the balance.

The NCAA needs to do something about these Rent-A-Centers. I love watching Sullinger just like the next fan, but “college” basketball should be reserved for kids who go to “college” for more than 3/4’s of one year. And this is nothing new with me. I was against the one-and-done model when it first came out. Certain schools/ programs are abusing the system which ends up hurting the schools/programs/kids who attend college to work on their degrees. But in this Land of $$$$$, nothing I guess is sacred anymore.

BTW, of the three recent one-and-done centers who were all-everything at OSU, has any of them done anything of note so far in the NBA? Stay in college, develop your game. (With that all said however, I feel Sullinger might break that trend.)

[quote="Tom, post:9, topic:1898"]PSU won't use Hack-a-Sullinger, but they'll certainly get fouls called as a result of the Breathe-on-Sullinger[/quote]

I thought is was the Be-in-the-same-zip-code-as-Sullinger with the game in the balance.

The NCAA needs to do something about these Rent-A-Centers. I love watching Sullinger just like the next fan, but “college” basketball should be reserved for kids who go to “college” for more than 3/4’s of one year. And this is nothing new with me. I was against the one-and-done model when it first came out. Certain schools/ programs are abusing the system which ends up hurting the schools/programs/kids who attend college to work on their degrees. But in this Land of $$$$$, nothing I guess is sacred anymore.

BTW, of the three recent one-and-done centers who were all-everything at OSU, has any of them done anything of note so far in the NBA? Stay in college, develop your game. (With that all said however, I feel Sullinger might break that trend.)

Who was the 3rd? Drawing a blank. Sullinger will prob be a PF in the NBA

Oden, Koufos, Mullens

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:12, topic:1898”]Oden, Koufos, Mullens[/quote]Wow i completely forgot about those last 2 ;D Are they both still in th NBA?

They made a whole boatload of $. If you’d offered me a job after my freshman year of college that would have made several million dollars a year, I wouldn’t have thought twice about staying around.

Koufos is averaging 3.1 ppg in 8.7 mpg over three seasons.

Mullens’ career so far as been even less. He’s bouncing around the D-League and the NBA

[quote="NittanyIllini, post:12, topic:1898"]Oden, Koufos, Mullens[/quote]Wow i completely forgot about those last 2 ;D Are they both still in th NBA?
Kosta Koufos had some good moments during his rookie season (08-09) with Utah, then seemingly regressed each year after that and was traded to Minnesota as basically a cap filler. Amazing how someone who could really shoot the basketball in college seemingly lost that ability over 2 years, and he had real trouble adjusting to the speed of the game. Still, he's seen the floor more than Mullens, who has been OKC's 3rd and 4th center and has barely played at all because he struggles to rebound and block shots in addition to not being must of a threat on the block. He does do a nice job of being 7-1 though.

Have a feeling Sullinger is one-and-done but w/a potential nba lockout who knows. For him, probably would be best to return, lose a little more weight and get a little more quickness because it’ll be harder to just be a 6-9 bull (unless you’re name’s Kevin Love) at the next level, but as a Penn State fan, I hope he’s gone ;D.

[quote="NittanyIllini, post:12, topic:1898"]Oden, Koufos, Mullens[/quote]Wow i completely forgot about those last 2 ;D Are they both still in th NBA?
Kosta Koufos had some good moments during his rookie season (08-09) with Utah, then seemingly regressed each year after that and was traded to Minnesota as basically a cap filler. Amazing how someone who could really shoot the basketball in college seemingly lost that ability over 2 years, and he had real trouble adjusting to the speed of the game. Still, he's seen the floor more than Mullens, who has been OKC's 3rd and 4th center and has barely played at all because he struggles to rebound and block shots in addition to not being must of a threat on the block. He does do a nice job of being 7-1 though.

Have a feeling Sullinger is one-and-done but w/a potential nba lockout who knows. For him, probably would be best to return, lose a little more weight and get a little more quickness because it’ll be harder to just be a 6-9 bull (unless you’re name’s Kevin Love) at the next level, but as a Penn State fan, I hope he’s gone ;D.

Yeah, he’s one and done. I don’t think the top tier talent really care about an NBA lockout. Like most other one and doners, he’s probably not prepared to play another season in college. He would have taken his 6 credits last semester, and one class this semester.

Yeah, he’s one and done. I don’t think the top tier talent really care about an NBA lockout. Like most other one and doners, he’s probably not prepared to play another season in college. He would have taken his 6 credits last semester, and one class this semester.

I certainly think he’s ready. Not many guys like to play tough inside like that. He’s not quite Blake Griffin, but every team could use an inside bruiser like that. Like Charles Oakley. Tough to stop. Top 3 pick IMO. He’d be my #1. What you see is what you get. Nothing pretty, just effective. He’ll be a double digit scorer in the pros his first year.

12ppg Skeeza?

I certainly think he’s ready. Not many guys like to play tough inside like that. He’s not quite Blake Griffin, but every team could use an inside bruiser like that. Like Charles Oakley. Tough to stop. Top 3 pick IMO. He’d be my #1. What you see is what you get. Nothing pretty, just effective. He’ll be a double digit scorer in the pros his first year.

12ppg Skeeza?

12 ppg ? COME ON !!! Michael Beasley average 14, and he’s pretty much been seen as a flop. The teams that will be drafting Sullinger are in DIRE NEED of an inside presence. He will get all the time and all the touches he needs.

12ppg Skeeza?

12 ppg ? COME ON !!! Michael Beasley average 14, and he’s pretty much been seen as a flop. The teams that will be drafting Sullinger are in DIRE NEED of an inside presence. He will get all the time and all the touches he needs.

Beasley is in his 3rd year and is averaging 20ppg and 6 boards this year. Not an All Star but far from a flop.