PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Michigan transfers

Surprising to me given Beilein’s coaching chops and the successful season that the Wolverines had, but Michigan is losing three players to transfer. Soph F Evan Smotrycz (7ppg, 3.6 rpg, 19 mpg), soph F Coltan Christian (3.8 mpg) and frosh G Carlton Brundidge (3 mpg) are leaving the program. I don’t intend to imply that any of these are potential targets for Chambers, although I believe Smotrycz was a DeChellis target at one time.

Good news-bad news here if Chambers has an eye on them

Good news: They won’t count against his scholarship…because…

Bad News - A B10 player can’t transfer to another B10 school and be on athletic scholarship…these guys will want the ship.

Damn Beilein and his carefrontations :stuck_out_tongue:

Smotrcyz transferring surprises me.

I heard the problem was too many consonants, not enough vowels. That often spells trouble.

So was Coltan Christian. He even visited us.

[quote=“TJM78, post:2, topic:3193”]Good news-bad news here if Chambers has an eye on them

Bad News - A B10 player can’t transfer to another B10 school and be on athletic scholarship…these guys will want the ship.[/quote]

For some reason, I think that rule has been eliminated.

Looking at the recruiting classes Beilein has lined up for the next 2 seasons makes me think these transfers won’t be missed. I also just want to mention that I saw an article that Trey Burke has even considered a jump to the NBA. If he left (though I doubt he will) then I would definitely be concerned if I were a Michigan fan.

[quote="TJM78, post:2, topic:3193"]Good news-bad news here if Chambers has an eye on them

Bad News - A B10 player can’t transfer to another B10 school and be on athletic scholarship…these guys will want the ship.[/quote]

For some reason, I think that rule has been eliminated.

Also think that rule died two years or so ago. Looked for informatiOn real quick but didn’t see anything

Actually if he leaves then as a PSU fan I would be really worried about our guy (Mr. Tim Frazier).

Looking at the recruiting classes Beilein has lined up for the next 2 seasons makes me think these transfers won't be missed. I also just want to mention that I saw an article that Trey Burke has even considered a jump to the NBA. If he left (though I doubt he will) then I would definitely be concerned if I were a Michigan fan.
Actually if he leaves then as a PSU fan I would be really worried about our guy (Mr. Tim Frazier).

I think Burke is getting bad info, and would be surprised if he goes. (Total opinion.)

What is going on in Ann Arbor?

[quote="bballguy, post:8, topic:3193"]Looking at the recruiting classes Beilein has lined up for the next 2 seasons makes me think these transfers won't be missed. I also just want to mention that I saw an article that Trey Burke has even considered a jump to the NBA. If he left (though I doubt he will) then I would definitely be concerned if I were a Michigan fan.[/quote] Actually if he leaves then as a PSU fan I would be really worried about our guy (Mr. Tim Frazier).

I think Burke is getting bad info, and would be surprised if he goes. (Total opinion.)

TJB I agree, but the Butterfly did spread his wings and fly out of Ann Arbor last year. Wonder if Hardaway is going to leave too. If he does and Burke goes and Smotryck then Michigan is going to be really hurting next year because aren’t Douglas and Novak seniors.

No harm in testing the NBA waters. Battle did it.

[quote="bballguy, post:8, topic:3193"]Looking at the recruiting classes Beilein has lined up for the next 2 seasons makes me think these transfers won't be missed. I also just want to mention that I saw an article that Trey Burke has even considered a jump to the NBA. If he left (though I doubt he will) then I would definitely be concerned if I were a Michigan fan.[/quote] Actually if he leaves then as a PSU fan I would be really worried about our guy (Mr. Tim Frazier).

TJB I agree, but the Butterfly did spread his wings and fly out of Ann Arbor last year. Wonder if Hardaway is going to leave too. If he does and Burke goes and Smotryck then Michigan is going to be really hurting next year because aren’t Douglas and Novak seniors.

Maybe they just become North Kentucky basketball.

They have a top 10 class coming in. It not unprecedented at Michigan. I think 3 of the Fab 5 went early, in an age when not a lot of players went early.

Looking at the recruiting classes Beilein has lined up for the next 2 seasons makes me think these transfers won't be missed. I also just want to mention that I saw an article that Trey Burke has even considered a jump to the NBA. If he left (though I doubt he will) then I would definitely be concerned if I were a Michigan fan.

While Tim is a more polished, more complete player right now, the NBA would rather have a guy like Burke this year than Tim because they care way more about upside and potential than where you are right now. Or at least, I’d be shocked if it didn’t play out like that.

They’d much rather draft a guy they’ve never seen play before than somebody they know all about. It’s like that darn mystery box everybody seems to trade for.

While Tim is a more polished, more complete player right now, the NBA would rather have a guy like Burke this year than Tim because they care way more about upside and potential than where you are right now. Or at least, I’d be shocked if it didn’t play out like that.

They’d much rather draft a guy they’ve never seen play before than somebody they know all about. It’s like that darn mystery box everybody seems to trade for.

So true.

If a player has yet to fulfill their potential, the NBA sees no limit to it. As a player, you have to jump before you plateau

I did see that Trey Burke is considering the NBA. I think he should probably stay so that he can develop. I really don’t like the idea of guys leaving early. I mean for us as fans of Penn State basketball it’s good, but I don’t think it’s a good idea for Burke.

So let’s say Burke stuck to his commitment and came to Penn State, he still would have considered leaving early? I’d probably feel better that he didn’t choose us if we kept Trey Lewis. Sorry for the rant.

I heard the problem was too many consonants, not enough vowels. That often spells trouble.

I guess no one else did, but I thought it was funny.

[quote=“lynkpsu, post:17, topic:3193”]I did see that Trey Burke is considering the NBA. I think he should probably stay so that he can develop. I really don’t like the idea of guys leaving early. I mean for us as fans of Penn State basketball it’s good, but I don’t think it’s a good idea for Burke.

So let’s say Burke stuck to his commitment and came to Penn State, he still would have considered leaving early? I’d probably feel better that he didn’t choose us if we kept Trey Lewis. Sorry for the rant.[/quote]
As my mother would say…“Strike while the iron is hot.” Look at what happened to Ashton Gibbs. From BE Player of the Year…to…

Actually it spells trble

Had to throw one vowel in there :wink:

And yes, I thought it was hilarious…love it nyline.