Michigan has 14 first half points

Michigan has 14 first half points against MSU.

In their last game, Michigan had 43 first half points against Minnesota.

Is Minnesota playing that bad or is Michigan St playing that good? Or could this mean that Minnesota’s gunna lose to Iowa tonight or something?

The interesting thing is if Minnesota wins tonight, wouldn’t they have virtually the same record that they had last year going into the BTT, when they went 1-1 in the BTT and made the NCAAs.

Although Minnesota didn’t beat Louisville this year in the non conference, they did beat Butler when Butler was ranked #10.

And at least 2 of Mchg*n’s field goals were goaltending/basket interference on MSU’s part!

Wow. Michigan’s shooting 21.7% from the field including the goaltending/basket interferences. So they’d be shooting 13% if it wasn’t for MSU’s help. And the one Manny Harris FG he made was a fade away bank shot!

Michigan is bad. They remain a sub .500 team. :wink:

PSU’s win @Ann Arbor should warrant a 4-6 year extension for ED!

Now Michigan is indeed a sub .500 team. ;D The interesting thing is against Minnesota, they looked like a tournament team. Against PSU, they looked like an NIT team. And against MSU they looked like one of the worst teams in 1-A basketball.

It never ceases to amaze me the polar ups and downs Michigan has. It’s been a constant theme all season to say that Michigan is up and down. But it seems like as the season wore on, Michigan just took that theme to the extremes.

Easy on the sarcasm, but I still say that PSU’s win @ Ann Arbor was a tipping point in Michigan’s season. A win over PSU could have put Michigan in line for an NIT bid, but it was not to be.

Seeing Michigan get cataclysmically and systematically annihilated against MSU does make me appreciate the effort PSU showed the other night. As unfortunate as the loss to MSU was, I do feel better knowing that my team played MSU down to the wire and gave us such a competitive game to watch, only to turn around less than two days later and give the boilers a run for their money.

Despite the record, PSU has been a more consistent team than Michigan this season. I tend to question Beilein’s basketball philosophy moreso than I question DeChellis’s.

curious what Ed haters think of Minny and Michigan right now… both have better basketball history than us, both made big grabs for coaches, both are extremely mediocre several years in.

Maybe it’s not as easy as you guys make it seem…

Me too. If Minny beats Iowa tonight, will they have a realistic chance of receiving an NCAA at-large bid going into the BTT? After all, they would have an identical BigTen record to what they had last year. And like last year they have a marqueee non-conference victory. (Butler, instead of Louisville last year) I tend to think no because unlike last year, they didn’t finish the non-conference undefeated. But they did have a harder non-conference schedule this year than they did last year. (last year, besides Louisville, they played absolutely nobody)

Based on this season alone, perhaps. Based on their respective careers, Beilein is light-years ahead of Ed.

I’ve said it before, once Harris and Sims leave, UM will be able to turn the corner with Beilein.

[quote="PSUChamp08, post:5, topic:929"]Despite the record, PSU has been a more consistent team than Michigan this season. I tend to question Beilein's basketball philosophy moreso than I question DeChellis's.[/quote] Based on this season alone, perhaps. Based on their respective careers, Beilein is light-years ahead of Ed.

Beilein may be ahead of DeChellis, but light-years ahead of DeChellis? That’s a bit of an exaggeration. It’s not like we are talking about Coach K or Dean Smith here. It is refreshing though to see that we can at least agree on something.

I don’t know. With his system if you don’t have the shooters you are screwed. Kind of like how we were a couple of years ago. If we didn’t hit 15 3’s a game we were going to get blown out of the gym. When the shooters are on your ok, if they aren’t pack up the tents early because missed 3’s end up being long rebounds and points in transition the other way.

Remember Izzo wasn’t at all pleased with MSU’s performance vs. PSU…I’m guessing the team has some added motivation to play well tonight.

What is your definition of realistic? If they play PSU in the first round, then they would likely have to win at least one more game to be in the picture. They aren’t even on many bubble lists right now. 3 BTT wins would be an interesting case (making it to the finals).

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:6, topic:929”]curious what Ed haters think of Minny and Michigan right now… both have better basketball history than us, both made big grabs for coaches, both are extremely mediocre several years in.

Maybe it’s not as easy as you guys make it seem…[/quote]
I don’t know if I’m an Ed Hater since you don’t seem to want to be called an apologist… but here is what I think
I THINK we were 1-3 against the above mentioned teams this year, so let’s bring this party back down to the ground.

[quote="PSUChamp08, post:5, topic:929"]Despite the record, PSU has been a more consistent team than Michigan this season. I tend to question Beilein's basketball philosophy moreso than I question DeChellis's.[/quote] Based on this season alone, perhaps. Based on their respective careers, Beilein is light-years ahead of Ed.

Beilein may be ahead of DeChellis, but light-years ahead of DeChellis? That’s a bit of an exaggeration. It’s not like we are talking about Coach K or Dean Smith here. It is refreshing though to see that we can at least agree on something.

Define as you wish. Beilein has been to 5 NCAA Tournaments, Ed has been to one. Beilein has a 7-5 record in the NCAA, ED is 0-1. Beilein has been to the postseason 11 times, Ed has been there just 3 times. Beilein has 336 D1 wins in 18 years (approximately 18.5 wins/year), Ed has 200 wins in 14 seasons (approximately 14 wins/season). Beilein has 14 winning seasons, while Ed has just 5 winning seasons. Beilein has just ten more losses than ED (225 to 215), despite coaching four more full seasons.

[quote="PSUChamp08, post:7, topic:929"]Me too. If Minny beats Iowa tonight, will they have a realistic chance of receiving an NCAA at-large bid going into the BTT? After all, they would have an identical BigTen record to what they had last year. And like last year they have a marqueee non-conference victory. (Butler, instead of Louisville last year) I tend to think no because unlike last year, they didn't finish the non-conference undefeated. But they did have a harder non-conference schedule this year than they did last year. (last year, besides Louisville, they played absolutely nobody)[/quote] What is your definition of realistic? If they play PSU in the first round, then they would likely have to win at least one more game to be in the picture. They aren't even on many bubble lists right now. 3 BTT wins would be an interesting case (making it to the finals).

I just heard a radio interview with Joe Lunardi and he had Minny in the “Next 4 Out” category.

They are in the 6-11 matchup with PSU. Based on how PSU has been playing, even that isn’t an easy win. If Minny does win, it doesn’t help at all, it would lower their SOS. Next game is against MSU, would be a big win and definitely puts them “in the picture” like I predict. If they made it to the finals, (win over Purdue and MSU) then they have a pretty good case. But is this realistic? I don’t think so… not when we are doubting their ability to win their first round game over a sub .500 team like PSU.

[quote="NICU, post:16, topic:929"]I just heard a radio interview with Joe Lunardi and he had Minny in the "Next 4 Out" category.[/quote]

They are in the 6-11 matchup with PSU. Based on how PSU has been playing, even that isn’t an easy win. If Minny does win, it doesn’t help at all, it would lower their SOS. Next game is against MSU, would be a big win and definitely puts them “in the picture” like I predict. If they made it to the finals, (win over Purdue and MSU) then they have a pretty good case. But is this realistic? I don’t think so… not when we are doubting their ability to win their first round game over a sub .500 team like PSU.

I agree with you. I don’t think they will be able to do enough in the BTT to get in. Just saying he did have them on the bubble. I think he had ILL in “Last 4 In” category.

[quote="NICU, post:16, topic:929"]I just heard a radio interview with Joe Lunardi and he had Minny in the "Next 4 Out" category.[/quote]

I agree with you. I don’t think they will be able to do enough in the BTT to get in. Just saying he did have them on the bubble. I think he had ILL in “Last 4 In” category.

Come selection Sunday this conference will end up 4 teams as Illinois will lose again to Wisconsin and Minnesota just wont be able to do enough.

It would be damn near impossible to take a 14 loss Illini team. Every one in America knows that they beat Clemson and Vanderbilt but if UConn isn’t in the picture with a better RPI, SOS, similar record in an arguably tougher conference and 3 better wins than Illinois’ 3 wins… neither should Illinois.

UConn beat WVU, won at Nova and beat Texas at home. Illinois beat Vanderbilt, Clemson and won @Wisky. Illinois might have a slight advantage since 2 of those 3 wins were away, whereas UConn only had 1. However, UConn’s 3 wins are better RPI wise.

I’m just hoping for an Illinois loss against Wisky again, and a near home court advantage crowd in the Garden to fuel St Johns to a win over UConn so we can stop talking about these two inconsistent teams.