PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Michael Weinreb pieces

Just ran across this great piece by Michael Weinreb from last week titled

[size=12pt]On The Long and Illustrious History of Penn State Basketball, Part II[/size]

Of course that led me to:

[size=12pt]On the Long and Illustrious History of Penn State Basketball[/size]

Another excellent article that I don’t remember reading before. I’m pretty surprised that someone on this board didn’t post it (or if they did, I’m having a senior moment).

I think everyone on this board can relate to both pieces all too well (although I was a little disappointed to see this myth perpetrated once again).

“. . . because most of the prime seats are held by people who bought them simply because the purchase of basketball tickets affords them the privilege of being able to buy football tickets.”

This one gets me worked up almost as much as the “We Are . . .” cheer being inspired by Steve Suhey myth.

[quote=“UncleLar, post:1, topic:1827”]Just ran across this great piece by Michael Weinreb from last week titled

[size=12pt]On The Long and Illustrious History of Penn State Basketball, Part II[/size]

Another excellent article that I don’t remember reading before. I’m pretty surprised that someone on this board didn’t post it (or if they did, I’m having a senior moment).

I think everyone on this board can relate to both pieces all too well (although I was a little disappointed to see this myth perpetrated once again).

“. . . because most of the prime seats are held by people who bought them simply because the purchase of basketball tickets affords them the privilege of being able to buy football tickets.”

This one gets me worked up almost as much as the “We Are . . .” cheer being inspired by Steve Suhey myth. [/quote]

He also has PSU beating Michigan instead of Michigan State.

[quote=“UncleLar, post:1, topic:1827”]Just ran across this great piece by Michael Weinreb from last week titled

This one gets me worked up almost as much as the “We Are . . .” cheer being inspired by Steve Suhey myth. [/quote]

Wow…great find. I don’t remember seeing this, Lar. Though it seems all so familiar, like a group of us got together to write it.

We are a cult. We are who Michael Weinreb says we are. Both as a program and a fan base. And I love every bit of it…though a few more trips to the Dance would be nice.

Holy crap. I’ve seen his byline before, had no idea he was connected. Great writer.

When I was in school, I sat in the front row for every game. There was a local kid, who probably went from junior high to high school during those four years, who sat near me at every game, I don’t think Michael is the kid, but I’ve wondered what happened with him.

We almost never spoke other than to acknowledge each other (hoops was a guilty pleasure even in person). He can be seen in a photo sports info has of Frank Brickowski shooting a jumper with me in the front row.

I came across the first one. Don’t know when or how, but I only remember it because somebody in the comments said the day this program turned around was the day I was born. :smiley:

Great read, I haven’t followed Penn State basketball for that long so I’m glad I could read about more of its history.

Thanks for posting these. I grew up in State College and was a regular at Penn State basketball games in the Rec Hall era (I graduated college in December of '94), and so I write as often as I can about Penn State (including in my latest book, Bigger Than the Game, if I may throw in a quick plug). If you happened to come across a gawky-looking kid sitting approximately 20 rows up near midcourt and keeping his own scorebook (honestly, I have no idea what possessed me to do this), that was me. I still naively wish they would find a way to play a few games a year at Rec Hall: In all my travels, that’s the loudest sporting venue I’ve ever encountered.
UncleLar, if I’m mistaken about the Nittany Lion Club/football tickets thing, I’m happy to correct the record; my assumptions are based on the fact that my parents (season ticket holders since the Dick Harter era) got relegated to the upper deck of the BJC largely because they declined to make a significant donation beyond that which was required to maintain their tickets.
(By the way, I actually wrote a piece about Wally Triplett a year ago which mentions the “We Are…Penn State” myth, something that Triplett and others, for all their good will, may have inadvertently perpetuated: http://pennstatermag.com/2009/11/05/penn-states-men-of-%E2%80%9947-in-print-and-online/)
Anyway, it’s good to know that there’s a community of people who can relate to my suffering. Thanks again.

Michael Weinreb

Michael, you’re too young to be the kid at my games …

Thanks for stopping by the home of the long-suffering.

[quote=“miw94, post:7, topic:1827”]Thanks for posting these. I grew up in State College and was a regular at Penn State basketball games in the Rec Hall era (I graduated college in December of '94), and so I write as often as I can about Penn State (including in my latest book, Bigger Than the Game, if I may throw in a quick plug). If you happened to come across a gawky-looking kid sitting approximately 20 rows up near midcourt and keeping his own scorebook (honestly, I have no idea what possessed me to do this), that was me. I still naively wish they would find a way to play a few games a year at Rec Hall: In all my travels, that’s the loudest sporting venue I’ve ever encountered.
UncleLar, if I’m mistaken about the Nittany Lion Club/football tickets thing, I’m happy to correct the record; my assumptions are based on the fact that my parents (season ticket holders since the Dick Harter era) got relegated to the upper deck of the BJC largely because they declined to make a significant donation beyond that which was required to maintain their tickets.
(By the way, I actually wrote a piece about Wally Triplett a year ago which mentions the “We Are…Penn State” myth, something that Triplett and others, for all their good will, may have inadvertently perpetuated: http://pennstatermag.com/2009/11/05/penn-states-men-of-%E2%80%9947-in-print-and-online/)
Anyway, it’s good to know that there’s a community of people who can relate to my suffering. Thanks again.

Michael Weinreb[/quote]

Mike - You are 100% right about season ticket holders getting delegated to the upper deck (at least initially) but that has nothing to do with football. The prime BJC seats went to people who contributed to the BJC building fund at $10K and $25 clip levels. Those funds were given OUTSIDE of the Nittany Lion Club. People who gave got no NLC points for their contribution and thus the contribution had no effect on whether they got football tickets or not (I know because I’m one of them and I got NO points or any sort of consideration for football tickets. You did get your name on a plaque at the BJC, reserved parking for the games, and do get first shot on seats at other events at the BJC but get nothing for football).

As to Triplett/Suhey legend, I blame Guido D’Elia and his marketing team on the Penn State Football story for perpetrating that myth (at least you acknowledged that it was LEGEND that says they inspired the cheer). Let’s face it, it makes a good story. But the truth is that the kids who created the cheer knew nothing about Steve Suhey’s speech. I’ll send you a clip of the story that was published in the Town and Gown a decade or so ago where they interviewed the cheerleaders who developed the cheer.

Even with those minor inaccuracies, your articles were still great. Thanks for writing them and sharing our pain. I enjoyed some of your other blog posts and have subscribed to your feed. Looking forward to reading more

Note: Isn’t it time to move off of blogspot? That’s like having an AOL or GeoCities account. :wink:

From Weinreb’s article

Every time they begin to show promise, they fall short. Every time you think perhaps they're about to leap to a new plateau of success, they fall backward
You start to think that they deserve better. You start to think that their karma has somehow gotten unjustly twisted. You start to question the very nature of the universe, which is outstanding for the creative process but not particularly good for one's stress levels.
And then...well, then you just knew something would happen, something ugly and undeserved and perhaps even unjust. Because it always does

Exactly the sentiments I ran and felt during my 45 years as a Boston Red Sox fan leading up to 2004. Hope springs eternal- that like the Sox, at some point Penn State BB will beat their own “curse” and reach a higher (hopefully consistent) result.

Part 3

Some serious hatin’ on Billy O, but fantastic, nonetheless.

Great stuff…i have been reading the entries all day…the joepa whale pants blog is fantastic

I would love to hear his take on the fab 5 documentary, i was at psu for the circus when they came to town…fun times

***There is one player who comes off the bench for Penn State--and I shall not name names--who is so utterly befuddled by the notion of defensive switches and screen-setting, who is so devoid of confidence that his play reminds me of the old days, when Penn State would recruit big kids from rural Pennsylvania who would have otherwise wound up at Lock Haven State just to fill their scholarship quota. At one point during the Big Ten tournament, this kid was on the floor with a walk-on whose primary job is to fill space. And somehow Penn State won anyway.

This is either a person who did not watch very much PSU basketball this season, or knows not what he’s watching when he does. Either way, I’ll grant him the same snap-judgement he seems to be doing for our guy here by simply saying that he needs to get a clue. All 3 major contributors off the bench for us this year played their hearts out and we wouldn’t be where we are without them right now - where he gets off using this entry as a chance to take a shot at one of them, I’m not understanding.

From Michael’s footnotes:

**I’ve never paid much attention to announcer bias. When I was kid, my parents would throw parties to watch Penn State games, and we would listen to Frank Broyles, who was an unapologetic SEC guy through-and-through, and the word was that Frank Broyles hated Penn State. I have no idea if this was true, and even if it was true…who cares? But it was rather strange to watch two days of Big Ten tournament coverage on CBS, because it was clear no one on that broadcast team expected Penn State to be playing in any of those games, and no one on that broadcast team was willing to even accept the fact that Penn State had a better case for an NCAA tournament bid than Michigan State. Clark Kellogg maintained this stance even after Penn State defeated Michigan State. And I generally like Clark Kellogg quite a bit. But his refusal to acknowledge statistics was mind-boggling.

One of the great things about Tucson is that we can be reasonably sure that we won’t have to suffer through announcer bias. Dan Bonner will be one of the trio, along with Kevin Harlan and Reggie Miller, working the game (quartet if you count Sam Ryan on the sidelines). Bonner is friends with Bruce Parkhill, was coached by Bruce at Virginia, and broadcast Penn State’s upset of UCLA in the 1991 tournament, so I would think that he’ll have some decent inside info on the program and might even cast us in a favorable light.

This is either a person who did not watch very much PSU basketball this season, or knows not what he’s watching when he does. Either way, I’ll grant him the same snap-judgement he seems to be doing for our guy here by simply saying that he needs to get a clue. All 3 major contributors off the bench for us this year played their hearts out and we wouldn’t be where we are without them right now - where he gets off using this entry as a chance to take a shot at one of them, I’m not understanding.[/quote]

Relax for once, will you.

***There is one player who comes off the bench for Penn State--and I shall not name names--who is so utterly befuddled by the notion of defensive switches and screen-setting, who is so devoid of confidence that his play reminds me of the old days, when Penn State would recruit big kids from rural Pennsylvania who would have otherwise wound up at Lock Haven State just to fill their scholarship quota. At one point during the Big Ten tournament, this kid was on the floor with a walk-on whose primary job is to fill space. And somehow Penn State won anyway.

This is either a person who did not watch very much PSU basketball this season, or knows not what he’s watching when he does. Either way, I’ll grant him the same snap-judgement he seems to be doing for our guy here by simply saying that he needs to get a clue. All 3 major contributors off the bench for us this year played their hearts out and we wouldn’t be where we are without them right now - where he gets off using this entry as a chance to take a shot at one of them, I’m not understanding.

Relax for once, will you.

3,743 posts (6.793 per day) and you are telling somebody else to relax for once? ??? :slight_smile:

For a guy devoid of confidence, he somehow feels comfortable jacking 3’s as soon as he gets in the game.

And I’m having a hard time thinking of a rural-PA big man he seems to be referencing.

I love Billy O. He busts it out there.

Over the next two or three years, Billy O. is going to win some big games for us. Mark it down.

One of my bosses used to say, "don’t confuse hard work with results."
He does bust it out there, works real hard on defense and is often physically over matched. That is not an easy situation, to find yourself in and handle with high confidence. I look forward to his results improving with each year of experience.