Media Guide Available Online

This is kind of cool. They’ve made the Basketball Media Guide available online for the upcoming season:

http://issuu.com/psumbbsid/docs/psubasketballmediaguide

It’d be much nicer if it was just a simple PDF download, so I could just save it locally and search it much easier. And I can’t seem to find a way to print the whole thing, instead of printing it out 2 pages at a time. But kudus to them for trying something new and making it available at all online.

most schools make them available in chunks of about 20-40 pages, which is a fairly nice compromise between ease and file size

If you get an account to issuu, you can download it. Its a low resolution but good enough to print out and read if you wish.

That was pretty impressive, looked like much more professional design than in the past.

I’m also sure the reporters for whom it is intended were very happy to learn of the great gameday atmosphere, the luxurious facilities and travel ameneties, and the family atmosphere that the players feel. :wink:

[quote=“tjb, post:4, topic:64”]That was pretty impressive, looked like much more professional design than in the past.

I’m also sure the reporters for whom it is intended were very happy to learn of the great gameday atmosphere, the luxurious facilities and travel ameneties, and the family atmosphere that the players feel. ;)[/quote]
;D

[quote="tjb, post:4, topic:64"]That was pretty impressive, looked like much more professional design than in the past.

I’m also sure the reporters for whom it is intended were very happy to learn of the great gameday atmosphere, the luxurious facilities and travel ameneties, and the family atmosphere that the players feel. ;)[/quote]
;D

Alright, I’m not as “inside” as you guys… Let me in on the joke. I’m sure it has to do with the large contingent of press that decends upon Happy valley once hoops season gets underway, right??

[quote="tjb, post:4, topic:64"]That was pretty impressive, looked like much more professional design than in the past.

;D

Alright, I’m not as “inside” as you guys… Let me in on the joke. I’m sure it has to do with the large contingent of press that decends upon Happy valley once hoops season gets underway, right??

Mark, I think the joke is that it’s called a “media guide” so one would think it should be geared toward the media; however some of the info is not relevant to the media but rather would be much more pertinent to a perspective player

[quote="MarkH, post:6, topic:64"]Alright, I'm not as "inside" as you guys... Let me in on the joke. I'm sure it has to do with the large contingent of press that decends upon Happy valley once hoops season gets underway, right??[/quote]

Mark, I think the joke is that it’s called a “media guide” so one would think it should be geared toward the media; however some of the info is not relevant to the media but rather would be much more pertinent to a perspective player

Makes sense… I was thinking it was a dig at our usual media contingent (or lack thereof) and not the purpose of the guide itself. Yes, the first 20 pages or so looks more like a recruiting pamphlet more than a media guide.

And here I thought the real reason for it was to satify the insatable demand for PSU hoops stuff by their devoted fan base. (and to help us win stuff from Jed Donahoue during triva time) ;D

;D

That’s correct. They’re actually recruiting guides (which are banned by the NCAA) not media guides.

didn’t the NCAA finally put a page limit on them? some of those football ones were getting gargantuan.

Yes NCAA put a limit on them. I think there is some more restriction or ideas about Media Guides being thrown around by the NCAA right now. Might be online only media guides I think is one of the ideas.

Is there a place I would be able to find/buy the actual hard-copy? Thanks in advance.

It will show up here sometime in the near future. Or you can buy one at the games.

[quote="Slash, post:12, topic:64"]Is there a place I would be able to find/buy the actual hard-copy? Thanks in advance.[/quote]

It will show up here sometime in the near future. Or you can buy one at the games.

Thanks…by any chance do you know what it typically costs? Not a big deal, just curious…Thanks again.

This is an epic W thanks for the find

Lasts year’s year book was $8.00 but was it the size of this years book? This years is extremely large.

A couple years ago the NCAA began capping the maximum number of pages of football and basketball media guides (other sports, too?) and also limiting 4-color printing to the front and back covers. There was an escalating war over which college had the fanciest media (recruiting) guide and the NCAA stepped in to control costs, for which the schools are probably grateful.

A number of schools (including Michigan and tOSU, if memory serves) are going online only with media guides to save printing costs as an overall expense reduction policy. Penn State is still printing the guides, which can be purchased by fans from the SID, but it also seems to be making the guides available online to a greater degree than in previous years.

That’s what she said! :o

(I know it’s a stretch but you can’t fault a guy for trying)

The Media Guide is $10.00 this year…according to the invoice for my season tickets. I order one every year with my season tickets.

for those who want to order one via mail, here’s an order form.

Take notice that football now has two media guides and that “The Records section and other historical data now is
contained in the Spring Football Guide.”

I suppose that is a letter of the law interpretation of page limits for media guides. Quite frankly, “the records and historical data” is the only thing worthwhile in the media guides. Although PSU has been known to be lax in updating some of the basketball records. It took them 2 or 3 media guides after Jagla left to finally put him 3rd on career blocks. There have been some others as well, just can’t think of any specifics off the top o’ the noggin.