2/13 MSU L 65-54
2/17 @ NW W 81-70
2/20 @ MICH W 55-51
2/24 OSU L 75-67
2/28 NW W 79-60
3/04 @ MSU L 67-65
3/06 PUR L 64-60
3/11 vs. MINN L 76-55

By my count 9 games decided by 5 or less. 10 if you count the Wisky game that we blew in OT. 6 of those were conference games.

[quote=“tundra, post:19, topic:1401”]State4…
I think JoePa has several times (maybe many) sent Asst coaches to other teams to learn their practice techniques. [/quote]
Oh yes, true. I believe he sent coaches to Texas recently to learn their offensive system (it was leading up to either the 05 or 08 season, I think 05)

if we’re going to start counting close losses as almost wins, are we going to count close wins as almost losses?

Dave Jones weighs in…interesting involvement by Joe Crispin

http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/2010/10/brothers_battle_and_buie_happy.html

You could be the pessimist if you want but if we win 4 of the 6 conference games we lost close. We are 7-11 in conference and things don’t look as bleak as they were. We won the close ones the year before. Last year we didn’t.

[quote=“Tom, post:24, topic:1401”]Dave Jones weighs in…interesting involvement by Joe Crispin

http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/2010/10/brothers_battle_and_buie_happy.html[/quote]
Good article by Dave. Sounds even optimistic.

Exactly. Ridiculous. If you take the other side of some of those losses, just take Michigan, Wisky and Purdue. You think their respective coaches tell their kids they need to make one more play to win more games? Jeez. My guess is that at halftime, somebody like Beilein is making major changes, adjusting to what beat them in the 1st half. This allows them to claw back and get in a position to win. It’s not the one play, it’s the overall play. If you win the 1st half by 15 and lose the second half by 16, is it really one play that beats you? What kind of game plan do you have? “Okay, let’s stay close, then at the end, don’t throw the ball away, get that last rebound and make FTA’s?” This team has structural issues, esp in the offensive halfcourt. And it’d be nice if a guy taller than 6’3" can average 5+rpg. Hopefully, Ed focuses on those issues.

We also had a double digit lead on Michigan with about 12 minutes to go and completely fell apart and lost by 9. I think that game cost us a lot of confidence for a while.

Kid, extra possessions could be the result of not passing up an open shot, getting rebounds (both ends), not turning the ball over, causing turnovers, etc. I think that could result in a more uptempo style. We’ll see. We’ve been hearing this for about 8 years now.

[quote=“mjg, post:28, topic:1401”]We also had a double digit lead on Michigan with about 12 minutes to go and completely fell apart and lost by 9. I think that game cost us a lot of confidence for a while.

Kid, extra possessions could be the result of not passing up an open shot, getting rebounds (both ends), not turning the ball over, causing turnovers, etc. I think that could result in a more uptempo style. We’ll see. We’ve been hearing this for about 8 years now.[/quote]

Okay, agreed, but kind of fuzzy way by Ed stating what they need to do better. More uptempo play would lead to more offensive possessions, but I don’t see that as the offensive problem. When they break, yes, shots are done quicker, but to break more, you need better rebounding and better defense. So do you play quicker team to accomplish that or better rebounding/defensive team? You’ll need more breaks(defensive rebounds), not faster ones, no? Also, Talor was often the quickest guy on the floor last year, and he was leading defensive rebounder. Not a good way to start the break with your quickest guy getting rebounds. IMO, the lack of possessions may be due more to awful use of clock in the halfcourt(I think Lar had stats on this). Very often, PSU is shooting with 2 seconds left. So, better D and rebounding leads to more possessions per game, and better halfcourt play leads to quicker halfcourt game shots. Neither requires more uptempo play. I love uptempo play as much as anybody, and the team has some quick guys, but non-development of halfcourt play was a killer. I do believe some of the new guards will help with that. Talor double teams may be over. Rebounding stats should also be interesting.

Maybe Ed meant that we won’t stand around for 28 seconds and then rush to get a shot in the last 7.

If this can happen then PSU will be markedly better. It sounds like Taran and Timmy both might have the ability to initiate the offense instead of dribbling and then passing it back to Talor. If this happens it will allow the team to get infinitely more good looks as opposed to desperation chucks at the buzzer. That thought alone gives me hope.

[quote="jjepsu92, post:30, topic:1401"]Maybe Ed meant that we won't stand around for 28 seconds and then rush to get a shot in the last 7.[/quote]

If this can happen then PSU will be markedly better. It sounds like Taran and Timmy both might have the ability to initiate the offense instead of dribbling and then passing it back to Talor. If this happens it will allow the team to get infinitely more good looks as opposed to desperation chucks at the buzzer. That thought alone gives me hope.

I don’t want to take a shot at Babb, but this is an area where his game needed improvement. He didn’t do much to create for himself or others. He was pretty much a stationary catch and shoot guard. Having more options at the 2 will help us a lot.

Jeff Rice Media Day articles:

PSU counting on brothers in backcourt

All for one.
Nittany Lions hoping teamwork adds to win column this season

Collegian: Team holding high expectations

Altoona Mirror: DeChellis looking for leadership this year

gopsusports.com:

2010-11 Men’s Basketball Preseason Notes

PLAYER QUOTES - Men’s Basketball Media Day

Head Coach Ed DeChellis Quotes - Penn State Basketball Media Day

Ed’s Transcript: Via 247

http://pennstate.247sports.com/Board/18/Ed-DeChellis-Press-Conference-Transcript-170916/1

Lions relaxed for year
By Jared Shanker
Collegian Columnist

Penn State seeking leadership
Tuesday, October 19, 2010
By Bill Landis, Special to the Post-Gazette

Penn State reloads after subpar season
By Matt Fortuna, FOR THE TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Kid: Precisely because the halfcourt offense is such a mess both in terms of personnel (dearth of shooters) and execution (few dependable set pieces), I think the more possessions argument is directed at more possessions in open-court situations where you have potentially three or four guys on the floor who can finish at the rack. Playing a lot of halfcourt basketball does not work to this team’s apparent strengths but against them.

In order to do this, their entire defensive mindset has to change. They have to pressure passing lanes, dart around and try to create chaos. Unfortunately, I don’t know that they’re deep enough to make this work for 40 minutes. The 2001 team was great at it. They gave up easy hoops but they also mined a bunch. They were very small but fairly deep in the backcourt. I think that’s at least the idea here. The pace stats have to be completely turned on their head to accomplish this. They were one of the slowest-paced teams in the nation last year.

How does Bowman’s shot look?

Bowman and Woodyard have been the best shooters so far. They’re both fairly long so you like that for clearance.

Buie’s form actually looks very good. They just don’t go in much. Danny wants his feet to get a little more settled and keep him from drifting. But he likes the way he releases and his rotation. Everything up top looks good. I think his shot looks pretty. He just has to realize what it could mean to his game if he could hit threes consistently; he suddenly becomes a serious major-college player is what. But so few kids are willing to put in the work on the perimeter jumper that it takes. Repetition breeds standardization breeds confidence. Take hundreds of threes a day and it’s amazing what can happen.

Woodyard was in there after practice taking three after three, picking the ball off the floor from a squat and then firing with Dave Yukelson the PSU sports psychologist hanging out under the basket support. He could be your guy if there’s a bust-out shooter. This team certainly needs one or it’s going nowhere.

Right now, I am taking Ed’s “we are going to run” with a wait and see attitude. He preached this message when he was hired. I would say the team “ran” only in the 2 years that Pringle played. Not at all/very little in the other years.

Saying that, I HOPE the team does run more. Generally it is more exciting basketball. BUT, the first rule of game TEMPO (speed of the game) is…that a coach sets tempo with his defense. Ed did mention he wants to press more. Pressing more sometimes leads to fouling more. We are thin on the front line. We will see…there are good points and bad points in any type of tempo. This “running potential” make this season very interesting!!

This team certainly needs one or it's going nowhere.

That was one of my thoughts/concerns coming into this season. I don’t buy many freshmen as shooters, even a kid like Babb (who was supposedly lights out from 3 coming into the program) struggled many times his first two seasons… we did see him finally catch fire at times, but more often than not it felt like we were waiting for him to catch fire than anything else.

I just think the speed of the game will cause a lot of young guys to clam up a bit and turn pure shooters into chuckers for awhile, until the game slows down for them - and that’s if they can manage to not become head cases trying to figure out why the shots aren’t falling.

Hopefully Cam becomes a reliable option for us from 3, given that he has some more experience than these freshmen other people are banking on to be the guys. Or maybe everybody will catch fire this year, but the 3-ball has kept us in a lot of games over the years of Ed (in the same way many mid-majors use it) and this might be the first year where we don’t have a pure 3-point shooter on the squad since Ed has been here.

Hopefully somebody emerges, or the offense changes drastically. Any other result will spell trouble in my opinion.