PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Media Day

Hey fellas,

Tomorrow is media day, I’ll be there and just wanted to reach out and see if you guys had an questions I could look into. I’ll get a look at the first half hour of practice so I’ll try and throw some videos up tomorrow night.

Who is Jones’s backup with Sasa out?

Are we going to go small and run?

Who is going to surprise some people?

Are we still looking for a 2011 kid or are we going to pocket the last scholly?

Thanks for the offer. Here’s a couple of topics for you to ask about:

1. Depth in the frontcourt? Is it just Graham or is Oliver going to play at the 4?
  2. Does Ed envision a deep bench (9 or 10 guys getting meaningful minutes) or a tight rotation (7 or 8)?
  3. Which youngs guys (any non-seniors) look poised to contribute?

Thanks in advance.

Can anyone shoot a freethrow ? :wink:

What is the SG position looking like with Buie, Woodyard, Bowman and even Battle all in contention for the spot? Battle if Frazier takes the point.

Hopefully, Tim Frazier learned how to stop and take the 10-15 foot jumper after a couple quick steps to the basket. Last year, he tried to go to the hoop most of the time, got hammered, and didn’t get a foul call (this is Big Ten basketball). If he can do this, I think it will really open our offense up.

Talor needs to add the stop and pop more than Tim. He gets smothered driving in too deep a lot. It seems like opposing D’s wait for him to come to them now.

Updates from the 247 board: enjoy

http://pennstate.247sports.com/Board/18/Live-Updates-from-Penn-State-Basketball-media-day-168075/1

[quote=“tundra, post:8, topic:1401”]Updates from the 247 board: enjoy

http://pennstate.247sports.com/Board/18/Live-Updates-from-Penn-State-Basketball-media-day-168075/1[/quote]

Maybe it’s just me, but the link is not working.

[quote="tundra, post:8, topic:1401"]Updates from the 247 board: enjoy

http://pennstate.247sports.com/Board/18/Live-Updates-from-Penn-State-Basketball-media-day-168075/1[/quote]

It worked ok for me.

It worked ok for me.

If you have an old browser, such as my work PC, it doesn’t work. Anything anyone can paste here in the meantime?

Not working for me either. Even going directly to the website and clicking the links on there doesn’t seem to work, so I don’t think the link is bad but rather the site seems to be messing up something.

And my browser isn’t old - i’m running the newest version of Chrome on a windows 7 PC.

Okay - after 5 tries refreshing it finally worked. Database overload maybe. Try it again everyone.

It worked ok for me.

If you have an old browser, such as my work PC, it doesn’t work. Anything anyone can paste here in the meantime?

[C&P Job:]
Opening Statement:

We’ve had 5 practice in 49 hours, excellent energy. The new guys seemed to pick things up well. Nobody got hurt. Practice today, off tomorrow, back on Wednesday. The new guys are trying to blend in and learn as quickly as they can.

• Billy Oliver, Drew Jones, D.J. Jackson and Jeff Brooks are playing up front along with Jon Graham. There’s times, without Sasa now (torn ACL), they’ll have to play a different style of lineup. Oliver is healthy, headache free and Graham is coming along. They want to be a little more up tempo this year.

• They’ve look at a lot of tape. The biggest thing for them this year is that they’ve won some close games in the past, and last year that didn’t happen. They don’t want to lose those close games. They have to find the positive end of those. The goal is to make one more play. Get a board, a bucket, a stop. The league is very good, the non conference schedule is good, they need to make the plays when necessary.

Taran Buie and Talor Battle fight when they’re out there. They’re brothers, that’s what brothers do. They guard each other, they get after each other pretty well. Beyond that, they’re teammates.

• Talor and D.J. Jackson has done a nice job with leadership, as well as Steve Kirkpartick and Drew Jones. They’ve got guys that are willing to follow now. When guys don’t follow, it doesn’t work. They’ve got seniors that want to do something special and they’re committed to that.

• The mood is good. We’ve got good spirit. ‘We had a great summer and a great fall.’ Guys have spent a lot of time off the floor. That was something we were lacking last year. That’s something they’ve tried to nurture. The guys have done a nice job this year, spending a lot of time with eating meals, socializing with each other. That was missing before. That’s all guys being on the same page and bonding, but that’s critical.

• Last year, leadership was a problem, but moreso in practice. They were looking for a guy to step up after Jamelle Cornley left. It was lacking in the locker room. When guys are going through this, they need to make sure there are no distractions. With Talor and the other seniors, the team meetings are more spirited. They have goals for the team, rather than the coaches coming up with goals for them.

• Tim Frazier has improved his shooting tremendously. Tre Bowman can make baskets from the perimeter, Taran can, Cam Woodyard didn’t do it last year, but he has improved. D.J. Jackson has improved his range, Jeff Brooks has shot really well in the first five practices.

• They lost a lot of close games last year. ‘We can compete in this league, and we will compete… We will be good.’ The conference is going to be very good this year. You look at point margins, and it’s very, very small.

• They need more possessions offensively. They need to fix some mistakes - turnovers, passing up shots. He’s not sure that they can grind things out for 40 minutes. They’re going to add some press to the package, they’re going to have to play a different group of guys in order to make things a little more up tempo.

• DJ Jackson was a guy that scored 6,7,8 points in the nonconf, then in conference he averaged 11 points a game. He needs to shoot the ball better and more. He needs to look for the shots. Jeff Brooks, it’s the same thing. He’s improved his perimeter shooting. He’s stronger, more confidence. If they can get Drew Jones back to where he was in the NIT run, that will be big. Drew has worked hard on the foul shots, Jackson and Brooks have improved shooting the three. ‘I like this year’s spirit. The seniors know what they need to do.’

• Class structure is what it is (5 seniors, 5 freshman), as long as guys compete, it doesn’t matter what letters are attached to their name. The freshman have done well. It’s a really hard weekend for them. They go hard all the time. The challenge for them is to compete in practice. They are in a whole different scenario right now. The academic part is tough trying to balance every thing. They were all out shooting after practice, they’ll shoot some free throws. The older guys have to convey their energy level to the younger guys.

• Taran Buie has the ability to do what Talor can, but it’s a different show when the lights are on in front of 15,000 people. We know Talor wants to to take that shot, hopefully Taran will do that too… There was a concern with him this summer with the off the court problems, because that’s not the way we act. It’s been addressed internally. He understands what he did and has to jump through some hoops for us to get back where he needs to.

• Leadership-wise, Talor as at a different level. Not letting any distractions in his way, being competitive and communicating with his teammates were a step up.

• I think Talor is going to have a great year for us. I don’t think he’ll try to do too much. I think he understands that he can only do so much. We brought in a group of Marines, two special forces guys, who developed ‘The Program.’ (muy interesante…) The leader of the group, he was in a training mission with his group off the Pacific and the Helicopter they were flying on crashed into the air craft carrier and half of his force was lost at sea. He’s started ‘The Program,’ where the proceeds go to those soldiers’ families. They preach leadership. One exercise, Talor was trying to do too much. The guys told him, ‘you’re going to get your whole troop killed doing this.’ They told him that he needed to let the other guys help him. The light went on at that moment. He’s going to do what he has to to win, but he’s going to do it with his teammates.

• The Boston Bruins did ‘The Program’ before PSU basketball did. They learned a lot of things from ‘The Program.’

• The schedule today is a very challenging one. They’ve got some good teams coming in to play early that they have to deal with.

• You feel pressure every year. ‘The job is what it is.’ It’s high-stress, high pressure. You’re as good as your last game. I don’t lay awake thinking about that. We’re trying to help our kids win and prepare them as best we can. They want to win, we want to win. There’s always going to be critics out there. They’re going to criticize me, I understand that. ‘We’ve got a football coach who is going to go down as the greatest of all time, and he’s getting criticized, so who the heck am I?’

That’s it for Ed. Talor is up next.

[/C&P job]

I like the fact that ED is going outside of the box to try to fix the leadership issue. Does “The Program” work, or is it a flukey gimmick? I guess we will see, but I am glad that ED has at least tried it and brought in some outside help. As great of a coach as Joe Paterno is, I can’t ever see him bringing in some outside help even if it would benefit the team.

[More C&P:]

Talor is up:

• The concept of one more play, they got that from this summer doing ‘The Program.’ It’s about not selling themselves short. They’ve been trying to do the little things - trying to finish the play. All summer long that’s been the goal. Coming early and staying late, that’s what it means.

• ‘The Program’ was all about leadership. Being a leader is not all about doing everything. That’s the biggest thing that I’ve gotten out of it. When people need help, we need to be there to pick them up. Communication was so important. They got a lot out of it as a team.

• I’m just doing the little things - coming in with a lot of energy, excited to practice. It’s important to understand that this game can be taken away from you, see Robbie Hummel from Purdue. We try to attack during practice and it’s my job to make sure that we’re ready to go.

• I try not to think about the Penn State scoring record. If we win, that will come along with it. It’s more important to win games. It would be great to break records but I want to win games.

• The NCAA tournament is the goal this year. That’s always been the dream. He’s really excited to get the season started and hopefully get there.

• Taran is doing very well. Basketball-wise, he’s performing very well, and he brings something with his athletic ability. All the off court stuff is in the past. He knows that he embarrassed himself, his school and his family. He’s ready to move past that.

• There’s been a couple of times when those two argue, but they’ve been doing that all their lives. He brings it every day, so Talor doesn’t really have to get after him. He’s his best friend, so it’s a promising thing that they don’t do much arguing.

[quote=“tundra, post:8, topic:1401”]Updates from the 247 board: enjoy

Thanks, tundra. Good job. I thought this was interesting. Someone(I’m sure Lar will chip in) please explain what they mean by “needing more possessions offensively”. Steals? Letting the other team score more quickly so you get the ball back faster, or playing worse defense? Defensive rebounding better? Aren’t they already ranked high in this category.

A little more uptempo? Wasn’t that the plan last year? Sounds to me like 3 guard offense. How do you get more uptempo with AJ, DJ and Brooks in the starting lineup? Ed really thinking of starting somebody in front of one of his seniors? Interesting.

- Billy Oliver, Drew Jones, D.J. Jackson and Jeff Brooks are playing up front along with Jon Graham. There’s times, without Sasa now (torn ACL), they’ll have to play a different style of lineup. Oliver is healthy, headache free and Graham is coming along. They want to be a little more up tempo this year…- They need more possessions offensively. They need to fix some mistakes - turnovers, passing up shots. He’s not sure that they can grind things out for 40 minutes. They’re going to add some press to the package, they’re going to have to play a different group of guys in order to make things a little more up tempo.

I think this is dead wrong. It’s not one play. They were outplayed and outcoached. Yes, the losses to Michigan and Purdue(1 game), PSU only lost by a couple, but that was after major runs by those teams. Wasn’t PSU up by 15 vs. Michigan? Is that really due to one more play? Come on. Get serious. Games were blown last year. I almost forgot, the Wisky game. Yes, Ott walked up by 3 with 1:25 left. Is that the play? Or was it the roaring comeback Wisky made to close the gap? Maybe Ed’s hoping for “the shot” every game. Puhlease. At least admit incompetence last year. IMO, more than making one more play is in order. When you have a team down, you have to bury them and not allow a comeback. Structural deficiences more important than one more play. Wishful thinking, IMO, but maybe just blather he thinks the media want to hear.

They’ve look at a lot of tape. The biggest thing for them this year is that they’ve won some close games in the past, and last year that didn’t happen. They don’t want to lose those close games. They have to find the positive end of those. The goal is to make one more play. Get a board, a bucket, a stop. The league is very good, the non conference schedule is good, they need to make the plays when necessary.

Still don’t see a PSU Hoop media day story on the Big 2 sites!! ??? ??? ???

Am I missing something??

State4…
I think JoePa has several times (maybe many) sent Asst coaches to other teams to learn their practice techniques.

They lost 9 games by 8 or less. I think you could throw those in the mix.