PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Matt McGloin

I heard on a local talk show that Matt McGloin is Jerry McNamera cousin - the red headed kid from Scranton that played for Cuse - if they are cousins then that is where he gets his spunk!

que?

Matty McGee is the man.

Aren’t they all related up there? :slight_smile:

That’s Schuylkill county

I like what McGloin has brought to the team. He struggled when he 1st came in for Bolden some games ago, but he has gotten better. I’m surprised at how good he has been play and I believe he’s out best option at QB right now.

I used to be a big Bolden guy. Now I think we’re ok either way for next year.

Don’t forget Paul Jones.

I wonder if Newsome will transfer or change positions for next season. He’ll be 3rd or 4th in the depth chart if he stays at QB, with a junior and two sophomores ahead of him.

I was thinking that myself, he can run a little bit so I’m sure he can help out the team some other way

Bolden has a ton of potential that will only be helped by an offseason in the program.

McGloin has exceeded everyone’s expectations, but he’s already at his ceiling it seems.

[quote=“Tom, post:11, topic:1527”]Bolden has a ton of potential that will only be helped by an offseason in the program.

McGloin has exceeded everyone’s expectations, but he’s already at his ceiling it seems.[/quote]

Ceiling or not…he is pretty darn good. Lots of Moxie!

Boy…the team scores less than half the amount of points that Wisconsin scored on this porous outfit and everyone wants to anoint McGloin the second coming…

I’m joking of course.

I’ve liked the kid from Day 1 and it doesn’t take a 300 yard passing game to get me excited about his prospects going forward.

In this day and age of the disco QB’s, give me a kid like McGloin to run my team. After all, Paterno and the Nits won a national title with John Shaffer.

I’d love to see the red zone comparison of the team with Bolden vs. McGloin. Bolden played 6.5 games and threw for 5 touchdowns. McGloin threw for 11 in 4.5 games. He also had a QB dive for a TD against Michigan.

When McGloin is at QB, it seems like the offense is very methodical. A lot of long, clock chewing drives. Its tough to say if Bolden would have done the same, but I don’t think he would have done better.

Remember what D’s Matt has got to feast on. Mich,NW, and Indy. 2 horrible defenses and a below average one. Rob def has the higher ceiling and hopefully will win the job back. Matt has done a good job the last few weeks

McGloin looked fantastic in the first half against Ohio State, so I’m not so sure that argument is valid. We’ll see how he does against Michigan State and against a likely SEC foe in a bowl game (Florida?).

How did he look the second half when OSU figured out how to defend him (or the receivers – however you look at it)?

McGloin is doing well, and that is a great thing. But cut Bolden some slack. McGloin has two full years of experience in the system more than Bolden. And McGloin might have a larger playbook to use as well. Once Bolden goes through the bowl season practices and spring practice, I expect him to be back as the starter. His arm is just that much better.

I can see the offense having the luxury of employing a two-QB system that could really keep opposing defenses guessing.

Regardless, it will be a nice problem to have.

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:18, topic:1527”]I can see the offense having the luxury of employing a two-QB system that could really keep opposing defenses guessing.

Regardless, it will be a nice problem to have.[/quote]

No doubt next year the position goes from a question mark to a strength. And, if all 4 return, a position with a lot of depth.

It’s strange all I heard about Bolden is that he was a runner who could throw. Haven’t seen the kid bust a run yet. Almost seems like he is trying to stay in the pocket too much to prove he’s a thrower.

In McGloin, I see an old time Joepa QB. He reminds me of John Schaffer and Matt Knizer, not really flashy but solid. Good comp %, not the strongest arm but makes all the throws.