PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Mary Kline Classic 2012 @ 5PM

There was some talk of the Mary Kline Classic in the commitments thread, but this is a big event for those interested in recruiting.

In the 2nd annual event, a dunk contest and three-point shootout will be highlighted by two games. The senior game featuring twenty-six of the top 2012 players from the east coast will participate in the event. A new addition has been added to the event with the underclassmen game, featuring some of the top freshmen, sophomores and juniors from around the east coast. This year’s crop at the Mary Kline Classic is anticipated to be the best yet with all players participating being of a division one basketball caliber, as well as potential professional basketball players.

Watch Here ($7.99 for both games)
Blue Underclassmen vs. Red Underclassmen 5PM
Blue Seniors vs. Red Seniors 8PM

If you plan on watching, here are the guys to keep an eye on in regard to PSU recruiting. I didn’t include Davon Reed because Andrew Dzurita says he has cut PSU from his list. Geno is playing in the underclassmen game at 5PM and Brandon Taylor in the seniors game at 8PM. #ATTITUDE

Blue Underclassmen
[glow=blue,2,300]#23 Rondae Jefferson – 2013 6’7 combo guard – Chester (PA) – Team Final – Undecided[/glow]
#31 Jermaine Lawrence – 2013 6’9 combo forward – Pope John XXIII (NJ) – Rens – Undecided
[glow=blue,2,300]#11 Isaiah Briscoe – 2015 6’2 point guard – St. Benedict’s (NJ) – NJ Playaz – Undecided[/glow]
#21 Chris McCullough – 2014 6’8 power forward – Salisbury (CT) – Team Scan – Undecided
#25 Davon Reed – 2013 6’5 combo guard – Princeton Day (NJ) – Team Final – Undecided
#4 Geno Thorpe – 2013 6’1 combo guard – Shaler (PA) – NJ Playaz – Penn State commit
[glow=blue,2,300]#20 Johnnie Davis – 2013 6’4 wing – Neumann Goretti (PA) – Team Final – Undecided[/glow]
#3 Conrad Chambers – 2014 6’1 point guard – Friends Central (PA) – Team Scan – Undecided
#12 Tyler Ennis – 2013 6’2 point guard – St. Benedict’s (NJ) – CIA Bounce – Undecided
#32 Jared Terrell – 2014 6’3 shooting guard – New Hampton (NH) – Expressions Elite – Undecided
#35 Abdul-Malik Abu – 2014 6’7 combo forward – Kimball Union (NH) – Expressions Elite – Undecided
#13 Lenny Kadisha – 2015 6’3 combo guard – Wadleigh (NY) – Real Scout – Undecided
#5 Reggie Cameron – 2013 6’7 small forward – Hudson Catholic (NJ) – NJ Playaz – Undecided
#1 Wayne Selden – 2014 6’5 shooting guard – Tilton (NH) – BABC – Undecided

Red Underclassmen
[glow=red,2,300]#32 Austin Colbert – 2013 6’10 power forward – Hotchkiss (CT) – Team Final – Undecided[/glow]
#15 Isaiah Whitehead – 2014 6’4 combo guard – Lincoln (NY) – Juice All-Stars – Undecided
#22 Josh Brown – 2013 6’2 point guard – St. Anthony (NJ) – Sports U – Temple commit
[glow=red,2,300]#24 Ben Bentil – 2014 6’8 power forward – St. Andrew’s (DE) – Team ECE/NJABC – Undecided[/glow]
[glow=red,2,300]#30 Ja’Quan Newton – 2014 6’4 point guard – Neumann Goretti (PA) – Team Final – Undecided[/glow]
#3 Hallice Cooke – 2013 6’3 shooting guard – St. Anthony (NJ) – Sports U – Undecided
[glow=red,2,300]#31 Jared Nickens – 2013 6’6 wing – St. Patrick (NJ) – Sports U – Undecided[/glow]
#0 DeAndre Bembry – 2013 6’6 wing – St. Patrick (NJ) – NJ Celtics – Undecided
[glow=red,2,300]#44 Karl Towns – 2015 6’10 combo forward – St. Joe’s Metuchen (NJ) – Sports U – Undecided[/glow]
[glow=red,2,300]#23 Jaren Sina – 2013 6’1 point guard – Gill St. Bernard’s (NJ) – Team Final – Undecided[/glow]
#10 Kaison Randolph – 2014 6’2 combo guard – Pennington (NJ) – Team ECE/NJABC – Undecided
[glow=red,2,300]#34 Isaiah Watkins – 2013 6’7 power forward – St. Benedict’s (NJ) – CIA Bounce – Undecided[/glow]
[glow=red,2,300]#21 Tyler Roberson – 2013 6’8 combo forward – Roselle Catholic (NJ) – NJ Roadrunners – Undecided[/glow]
#13 Kamar McKnight – 2015 6’4 point guard – St. Patrick (NJ) – Grassroots Canada – Undecided

I plan to grab a few beers and watch the Kentucky Derby at my local watering hole, but I’m hoping to make it back for the second half of the underclassmen game.

Interesting that Thorpe is listed at 6’1.

Also interesting is any sophomore listed as a 6’10 combo forward

Jon Rothstein ‏ @JonRothstein
Pat Chambers is getting a heck of a player in Geno Thorpe. 2013 combo guard will be a big hit in Happy Valley. Great get for Penn State.

Another reason for Penn State fans to be excited? Brandon Taylor. 6-7 F has solid girth + a capable touch. Solid addition 4 Nittany Lions.

Geno Thorpe is the surprise of the day. This kid can really go. Will be a factor right away at Penn State. Great program player.

I was there. Very fortunate we got Geno. Kid can play.

SAS, what did you think of Taylor? Any other PSU targets stand out?

I did read Taylor had 15 points in the game.

Hard to type on droid at hotel in king of prussia but will try. We left after the first quarter of game 2. Few things that stood out. 1. If i could invest on any one kid on the court to be successful it would be Alex Kline. He will go a long way in life. His Mom woild be proud. 2. Rondae Jefferson. WOW! 3. Bentil can play. 3. Karl Towns is only 6’ 11"? Size 22 shoe. Kid will be over 7 footer…and can shoot the 3. 4. Taylor can shoot and can hussle… when he wants to. First thing both my young kids said when we walked out of the gym was “he sure walks alot out there”. 5. Thorpe is the real deal. Fast…hussles…great defender and shooter. Seems like a great kid too. 6. Sina. Mvp and deserved it. I lost count at about 15 assists. He is a game changer and should be high on chambers radar. Trying to go back and add a few things but hard on this phone. Will try and add more later.

The coaches say this will not be a problem, but it seems like a bad habit that’s going to need fixed.

I’d think a week into preseason practice Taylor will be cured of that habit, whether he likes it or not :slight_smile:

Agree, Tom. The intensity level of college hoops is MUCH different than HS. All players go through an “adjustment” period.

I'd think a week into preseason practice Taylor will be cured of that habit, whether he likes it or not :)
Agree, Tom. The intensity level of college hoops is MUCH different than HS. All players go through an "adjustment" period.

Not only that, but Chambers certainly wouldn’t tolerate taking plays off, more so than most coaches.

If he fixes that he will be fun to watch. Heard Chambers was there but i didnt see him. If he was he had to be cringing at times but still flashes of brilliance with him.

But all of you better get excited for when Geno puts on blue and white.

I’ve been high on Sina since PC first started recruiting him. He would be the guy that not only nails the three, but will open up the floor for guys like BA and Geno. With two schollies available, I think Jordan and Sina are the two guys we need to recruit the hardest.

[quote=“SAS, post:12, topic:3284”]If he fixes that he will be fun to watch. Heard Chambers was there but i didnt see him. If he was he had to be cringing at times but still flashes of brilliance with him.

But all of you better get excited for when Geno puts on blue and white. [/quote]

Good stuff, thanks for the report. I was hoping to make it down for the event but wasn’t able too. Glad to hear that both had strong showings.

I’ve seen Austin play, but not Thorpe. If he is as good as you say, that backcourt is gonna be legit. Austin has defensive mismatch written all over him and if Geno can get his own show as well, that’s gonna be fun to watch!

We’re in a quiet period, when in-person recruiting is limited to campuses. I don’t believe Chambers or any other coaches could attend?

Hard to type on droid at hotel in king of prussia but will try. We left after the first quarter of game 2. Few things that stood out. 1. If i could invest on any one kid on the court to be successful it would be Alex Kline. He will go a long way in life. His Mom woild be proud. 2. Rondae Jefferson. WOW! 3. Bentil can play. 3. Karl Towns is only 6' 11"? Size 22 shoe. Kid will be over 7 footer.....and can shoot the 3. 4. Taylor can shoot and can hussle.... when he wants to. First thing both my young kids said when we walked out of the gym was "he sure walks alot out there". 5. Thorpe is the real deal. Fast.....hussles...great defender and shooter. Seems like a great kid too. 6. Sina. Mvp and deserved it. I lost count at about 15 assists. He is a game changer and should be high on chambers radar. Trying to go back and add a few things but hard on this phone. Will try and add more later.

I’ve been high on Sina since PC first started recruiting him. He would be the guy that not only nails the three, but will open up the floor for guys like BA and Geno. With two schollies available, I think Jordan and Sina are the two guys we need to recruit the hardest.

Jenkins :wink:

Rondae. Most athletic kid on the underclassmen court

Nice piece: NJ High School Student is Also a Keen Student of College Recruiting

What Kline has done is amazing, but I suspect it’s going to go away. He really seems to be liked by recruits who view him as a peer, and he won’t be a peer any longer.

Kline is also pondering his future. He does not anticipate being a 40-year-old pestering teenagers about their college basketball plans.

“That’ll be creepy,” Kline said. “The kids, they can’t really relate.”

Thorpe, Taylor Impress at Mary Kline Classic

I’m not sure Chambers could have attended anyway even if it was an eval period:

Academic Year Evaluation Period.
Evaluations of live athletics activities during the academic year
evaluation period shall be limited to:
(i) Regularly scheduled high school, preparatory school and two-year college contests/tournaments
and practices; and
(ii) Regular scholastic activities involving student-athletes enrolled only at the institution at which
the regular scholastic activities occur. (Revised: 4/28/05 effective 8/1/05, 10/23/07)