PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Maine @ PSU

gopsusports.com: Nittany Lions Face Black Bears On Holiday Hat Night :slight_smile:

PSU game notes

I see in the game notes that Maine had 59 pts. vs. Maryland, losing 89-59, a lot more total points(47) than when we played MD. Probably faster tempo. Maybe this game won’t be so easy.

Only time I’ve seen Maine play (despite them being in America East with Vermont) was two years ago, on espn on Saturday, where they were playing Oklahoma, starring Blake Griffin. When Griffin got the ball inside, and went up for his power dunk, rather than try to stop him, the Maine players ducked. I forget what the final was, I was at a bowling alley, and just caught glimpses, but it seemed like a ridiculous mismatch.

Is it me, or are things REALLY quiet for being less than 2 week from the start of the conference schedule?

Maryland/Maine was played at a 76 possession pace
Maryland/PSU was played at a 65 possession pace.

It’s been that way since before the season started. I would try to track recruiting info or articles the past couple of seasons to share and am having a hard time finding anything this year.

I like Penn State in this one by double digits. Penn St. 69 Maine 56
We’ll come out angry and wanting to get a win going into conference play.

We should be able to beat Maine and I hope we don’t come out rusty.

Can this Rusty guy play the 4 or 5 spot? We might be able to use him off the bench.

[quote="kidcoyote, post:2, topic:1660"]I see in the game notes that Maine had 59 pts. vs. Maryland, losing 89-59, a lot more total points(47) than when we played MD. Probably faster tempo. Maybe this game won't be so easy.[/quote]

So, in the first game they played at a 16% faster pace and they scored ~46% more points. So, what can one get from this stat? It seems obvious that if you play faster you score more, but the extra points are almost triple the pace difference. And if PSU is a bad shooting team, should they play faster or slower?

FYI, Maine was 19-31 from the foul line, we were 8-11 vs. Maryland. There were a total of 64 FTA’s in that game, vs. 32 in ours, suggesting the game was much rougher, though faster, and probably took much longer to play, despite being faster(sounds like Yogi). And this guy looks like he likes to mix it up, or at least he did vs Maryland. He had more FTA’s than PSU in 33 minutes vs. 200 for PSU’s team. This game may be quite the test.

TOT-FG     3-PT           REBOUNDS

Player Name FG-FGA FG-FGA FT-FTA OF DE TOT PF TP A TO BLK S MIN

15 Barnies, Troy… f 4-11 1-2 7-12 3 8 11 1 16 2 2 0 1 33

[quote="kidcoyote, post:2, topic:1660"]I see in the game notes that Maine had 59 pts. vs. Maryland, losing 89-59, a lot more total points(47) than when we played MD. Probably faster tempo. Maybe this game won't be so easy.[/quote]

So, in the first game they played at a 16% faster pace and they scored ~46% more points. So, what can one get from this stat? It seems obvious that if you play faster you score more, but the extra points are almost triple the pace difference. And if PSU is a bad shooting team, should they play faster or slower?

FYI, Maine was 19-31 from the foul line, we were 8-11 vs. Maryland. There were a total of 64 FTA’s in that game, vs. 32 in ours, suggesting the game was much rougher, though faster, and probably took much longer to play, despite being faster(sounds like Yogi). And this guy looks like he likes to mix it up, or at least he did vs Maryland. He had more FTA’s than PSU in 33 minutes vs. 200 for PSU’s team. This game may be quite the test.

Maine’s shooting percentage vs Maryland?

One thing that I’ve learned about you is that you just love to make judgments based on one data point, i.e. one game. You are also wont to make transitive comparisons (i.e. A beat B, B beat C, therefore A will beat C), where they really don’t hold.

If you are going to compare Maine and Penn State, don’t do it based on one game each, even if that game is against a common opponent. They’ve each played ten games, so you’ve got ten times the information available to you than just than just the Maryland games. Use all of it. Why would you limit yourself to just one game?

Penn State has an adjusted offensive efficiency rating of 107.5 (71st ranked) and a defensive efficiency rating of 95.3 (89th ranked).
Maine has an adjusted offensive efficiency rating of 98.3 (200th ranked) and a defensive efficiency rating of 103.0 (226th ranked).

Maine doesn’t rebound well so I would expect us to clean up on the boards. They do play decent interior defense but not good three point defense. So as long as we don’t have another horrendous 3-27 three point shooting night, look for us to win handily.

goblackbears.com: Men’s Basketball Travels to Battle Big Ten Foe Penn State

Maine game notes

[quote="lynkpsu, post:7, topic:1660"]We should be able to beat Maine and I hope we don't come out rusty.[/quote]

Can this Rusty guy play the 4 or 5 spot? We might be able to use him off the bench.

Le Grand Orange!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rusty_Staub

Maine offers PSU last tune-up by Jeff Rice

http://www.centredaily.com/2010/12/21/2413940/maine-offers-psu-last-tune-up.html#ixzz18kZqVlN4

I don’t think it’s just you. I think a lot of the wind went out of the sails after the the 0-3 against tougher opponents. I know I’ve been complaining about the offense pretty much the whole OOC but it’s just not any fun to watch. The lack of offense combined with the poor defense against tougher opponents just doesn’t get me excited to even play the “what if” game.

Great post LP. I agree! The entire program seems to be in a huge state of depression. No sense of anything being remotely interesting. Sure, Talor is good. But, it seems the fans see this as “old news.” He has been good for 3 years…what else is new?? Everybody’s answer seems to be "NOTHING."
I wonder what the attendance will be tonight.

+1

There is no buzz about the team anymore. Unless we win tonight and at least one of @indy and @Mich the program will lose all interest. We’re seeing it here from us die-hards so how much worse is it among the general population?

Ditto the last few posts. I’m debating whether it is worth the 3 hr. round trip drive for tonight’s game. Still undecided. I have two blue santa hats from previous years so the free hat isn’t much of an enticement.

One thing that I’ve learned about you is that you just love to make judgments based on one data point, i.e. one game. You are also wont to make transitive comparisons (i.e. A beat B, B beat C, therefore A will beat C), where they really don’t hold.

If you are going to compare Maine and Penn State, don’t do it based on one game each, even if that game is against a common opponent. They’ve each played ten games, so you’ve got ten times the information available to you than just than just the Maryland games. Use all of it. Why would you limit yourself to just one game?

Penn State has an adjusted offensive efficiency rating of 107.5 (71st ranked) and a defensive efficiency rating of 95.3 (89th ranked).
Maine has an adjusted offensive efficiency rating of 98.3 (200th ranked) and a defensive efficiency rating of 103.0 (226th ranked).

Maine doesn’t rebound well so I would expect us to clean up on the boards. They do play decent interior defense but not good three point defense. So as long as we don’t have another horrendous 3-27 three point shooting night, look for us to win handily.

Huh? One thing I notice about you is that you always think poor shooting is just that. Not me. You get poor shots when you don’t play inside. Vs. Maryland, we had zero interior game. In the 3 losses, we got beat inside, out rebounded in all 3. Didn’t Pomeroy have us winning in at least one of those games based on these exact stats? I do think specific matchups are very important. I think he had us beating Maryland, but even if it was Ole Miss, how foolish do either of those look? I had seen MD play and lose in a very tough tourney game, and Ole Miss always seems to have the same type team, fast and physical, so in both I thought we’d have trouble. Same with Vtech. So to me, offensive efficiency and defensive efficiency stats are less important. It’s how you match up that’s key.

You’re probably right on the outcome tonight, seems lopsided, but I’m always concerned when an opponent has a good big man. We didn’t have a big stand up to Maryland. They did. If we had, maybe we’d have gotten better looks from the arc. You never give any credence to this, and I think it’s everything. It’s about creating good shots. IMO, this is done by varying play and being tough, not by being predictable, or playing like an America East team, chucking up 3’s.

My Christmas wish is that Talor and the team turn it around and make the tournament.

I just hope Santa finds my letter and doesn’t give me a lump of coal.