PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Lubrano - "loose cannon"?

So asks the Philly Inq.

I found this paragraph interesting.

“Three sources in the athletic department complained of Lubrano’s treatment of women, including one incident in which he is alleged to have called a secretary a “dumb bitch” after she asked him to spell his name.”

When Medlar Field at Lubrano Park first opened, there was a plaque in the stadium that actually had Lubrano’s name spelled wrong. Perhaps that secretary got her revenge in a subtle way. ;D

Note: The plaque was replaced a week later.

One thing I know for sure is that he’s not getting my vote.

I’m not a fan either from the things I’ve heard and read.

I haven’t voted yet and need to do some more research before I vote, but why should we be taking this anonymous “source” at face value and accept it as absolute truth?

Is it not possible some on the BoT are worried a wealthy, powerful individual, not afraid to speak his mind will shake up the status quo and not just meekly accept what the executive committee and/or university president says? The BoT has had its insular little club for a long time; it must be scary to think that might end. I have seen smear campaigns waged over less.

Not to mention, the BoT had no trouble accepting Lubrano’s donation for a new baseball facility.

[quote=“psuinbf, post:4, topic:3259”]Is it not possible some on the BoT are worried a wealthy, powerful individual, not afraid to speak his mind will shake up the status quo and not just meekly accept what the executive committee and/or university president says? The BoT has had its insular little club for a long time; it must be scary to think that might end. I have seen smear campaigns waged over less.

Not to mention, the BoT had no trouble accepting Lubrano’s donation for a new baseball facility.[/quote]

+1 BOT NEEDS a “shake up.” Maybe, best done by a good “shaker upper!!!”

Is it not possible some on the BoT are worried a wealthy, powerful individual, not afraid to speak his mind will shake up the status quo and not just meekly accept what the executive committee and/or university president says? The BoT has had its insular little club for a long time; it must be scary to think that might end. I have seen smear campaigns waged over less.

Not to mention, the BoT had no trouble accepting Lubrano’s donation for a new baseball facility.

+1 BOT NEEDS a “shake up.” Maybe, best done by a good “shaker upper!!!”

I’ve known Tony since I was 10 or 11.

What a complete a-hole. A combination of stupidity and ambition is never a good one. He says he doesn’t drink? It seems like some people on other sites are disputing that pretty strongly. The picture doesn’t do him any favors on that claim.

If you want your school to look as bad as possible, vote for this jagoff. Every board meeting will come with its own Andrew Dice Clay-style sideshow.

I hope he doesn’t win.

he’d be one of 32 members and the BOT has had a complete lack of dissenting opinions for too long. There were a few “shepherds” and a bunch of sheep. He’d be one member serving a 3 year term… IMO, the potential cleaning outweighs the potential harm.

Like you said - he will be 1 of 32 trustees. That and $1.50 will get you a coffee at the HUB. His one voice won’t do anything. What will he accomplish other than making himself look like a jerk at meetings? Will he hold up votes on building renovations and dorm room security? Seriously, what is he going to do? My guess is that his only interest is in athletics anyway, and he probably won’t pay attention to any other issues. We’ve all dealt with idiots like him from time to time. They like to insert themselves into everything but nobody has any respect for them, and the smart people quickly find ways to freeze them out. The best solution is usually finding some way to make said idiot think that they are working on something important when in reality they have been assigned to something completely useless.

[quote="spud358, post:9, topic:3259"]he'd be one of 32 members and the BOT has had a complete lack of dissenting opinions for too long. There were a few "shepherds" and a bunch of sheep. He'd be one member serving a 3 year term... IMO, the potential cleaning outweighs the potential harm.[/quote]

Like you said - he will be 1 of 32 trustees. That and $1.50 will get you a coffee at the HUB. His one voice won’t do anything. What will he accomplish other than making himself look like a jerk at meetings? Will he hold up votes on building renovations and dorm room security? Seriously, what is he going to do? My guess is that his only interest is in athletics anyway, and he probably won’t pay attention to any other issues. We’ve all dealt with idiots like him from time to time. They like to insert themselves into everything but nobody has any respect for them, and the smart people quickly find ways to freeze them out. The best solution is usually finding some way to make said idiot think that they are working on something important when in reality they have been assigned to something completely useless.

A guy who’s not afraid to go to the media and make some noise when things aren’t going right. That’s what you get with Lubrano in there. That can either be good or bad…I’m probably going for a “safer” candidate, but the thought of a guy who will give us some transparency is giving me pause. I didn’t like him using a Joe Paterno memorial video for his own campaign purposes though.

I’m actually amazed that so many people seem to think all these new people are really going to change anything. To me it’s a lot like American politics, where the names and faces change but the day to day business stays mostly the same.

I don’t really see what these people think they’re going to change, or how. And even if they do get in there with the best intentions, I think they’ll find change is hard to come by in old institutions like this one.

It’s nice to talk about, but I’ll believe it when I see it.

[quote="spud358, post:9, topic:3259"]he'd be one of 32 members and the BOT has had a complete lack of dissenting opinions for too long. There were a few "shepherds" and a bunch of sheep. He'd be one member serving a 3 year term... IMO, the potential cleaning outweighs the potential harm.[/quote]

A guy who’s not afraid to go to the media and make some noise when things aren’t going right. That’s what you get with Lubrano in there. That can either be good or bad…I’m probably going for a “safer” candidate, but the thought of a guy who will give us some transparency is giving me pause. I didn’t like him using a Joe Paterno memorial video for his own campaign purposes though.

A little heads up - he’s not going to able to change anything and probably doesn’t care if he does. He is using angry people to further his own interest in being a bigger player in the PSU world. Just read the article, then ask yourself if you really want to help him do that. And look at his picture. That’s a good hairstyle (for a 19 year old).

State College outlawed fracking yet took a fracker’s money to build a hockey arena. So principled. :wink: Sort of, “we hate you and what you do, you evil polluter, and we’ll do everything to stop you, including putting you out of business to save the planet, but we’ll take your money, if we haven’t bankrupted you yet.”

Not to mention, the BoT had no trouble accepting Lubrano's donation for a new baseball facility.

State College outlawed fracking yet took a fracker’s money to build a hockey arena. So principled. :wink: Sort of, “we hate you and what you do, you evil polluter, and we’ll do everything to stop you, including putting you out of business to save the planet, but we’ll take your money, if we haven’t bankrupted you yet.”

Kid, sometimes I think you just type stuff to be annoying no matter how incorrect it is. State College DID NOT take money from a fracker. Penn State University did. You don’t seem to get that they are two different entities. What if Boston outlawed fracking and Boston College took money from a fracker? That’s pretty much the same thing.

[quote="psuinbf, post:4, topic:3259"]Not to mention, the BoT had no trouble accepting Lubrano's donation for a new baseball facility.[/quote]

Kid, sometimes I think you just type stuff to be annoying no matter how incorrect it is. State College DID NOT take money from a fracker. Penn State University did. You don’t seem to get that they are two different entities. What if Boston outlawed fracking and Boston College took money from a fracker? That’s pretty much the same thing.

I gotta step in on this one…

You have to consider who has the power in you comparison.

With Boston College, the college is named after the town. But, how do you think State College got it’s name? :-X

[quote="psuinbf, post:4, topic:3259"]Not to mention, the BoT had no trouble accepting Lubrano's donation for a new baseball facility.[/quote]

With Boston College, the college is named after the town. But, how do you think State College got it’s name? :-X

Okay, I agree my example was extreme. But it doesn’t change the fact that STATE COLLEGE did not accept money from anyone to build Penn State’s new hockey arena.

Okay, I agree my example was extreme. But it doesn’t change the fact that STATE COLLEGE did not accept money from anyone to build Penn State’s new hockey arena.

In kid’s world, the mayor of State College would have either been Graham Spanier or Joe Paterno (or maybe even Michael Mann). ::slight_smile:

Kid meant PSU took his money, the board is not a State College Board, I think 99.99% of us got it.

This board had Obama-like transparency. Maybe a maverick will shed some light on what happens behind closed doors.

Maybe we need an agitator to stir up the layers of secrecy and collusion of these CEO’s on the board. Unanimous Vote = Cowardice.

The governor elects twice as many as we do this time. The governor needs to go asap. Corbett will never get my vote, even if Rendell runs, and that is eqivalent to me voting for Obama. I never thought I could vote for either.

[quote=“Phanatic, post:19, topic:3259”]Kid meant PSU took his money, the board is not a State College Board, I think 99.99% of us got it.

This board had Obama-like transparency. Maybe a maverick will shed some light on what happens behind closed doors.

Maybe we need an agitator to stir up the layers of secrecy and collusion of these CEO’s on the board. Unanimous Vote = Cowardice.

The governor elects twice as many as we do this time. The governor needs to go asap. Corbett will never get my vote, even if Rendell runs, and that is eqivalent to me voting for Obama. I never thought I could vote for either.[/quote]

I know Kid meant PSU took the money. But I still don’t see any connection to State College’s fracking ban. He’s trying to create controversy where there isn’t any. He did that when JoePa restructured his finances too. It’s just getting old (or actually, it’s been very old for a long time).