Looking forward

The news has not been good. Just recruiting what does PSU need to improve next year and for the future?

Does PSU go with 3 juco’s? (2 post and swing player?)

or 2 jucos and a frosh

or best available?

do you fill all 3 scholarships?

[quote=“PSUdraw, post:1, topic:1014”]The news has not been good. Just recruiting what does PSU need to improve next year and for the future?

Does PSU go with 3 juco’s? (2 post and swing player?)

or 2 jucos and a frosh

or best available?

do you fill all 3 scholarships?[/quote]

Draw,

Here is my wishlist from another thread.

Yes we fill all the ships!

2 JUCO’s - 1 a center and another PF. NO TWEENERS. The C will provide a carryover until Alexis get here. The PF will do the same and help Sasa.
1 Highschooler who could play both the 3 or 4.

All must be ready to play. Got to have a full complement of Lions. No redshirts, medical or otherwise.

We will still have 4 ships to give next year (2 already spoken for - hope this doesn’t change).

Not sure you can get a true C Juco but it would be nice. I hope just a solid post that can rebound and make some shots from 10 ft and in. Nice if he is pounder or enforcer. Just wondering should they try to find another sharp shooter. Will need some outside production even if its only for 5 min a game.

We “still” have Camm. Now that you look back, I wonder if something was going on that we didn’t know about. Camm played quite a bit the last couple games.

Everyone take a little breath. A good JUCO has the same reasons for NOT coming here as any high school senior. Basketball isn’t fun here and we were the bottom dwellers in the B10. I know the argument for HS players is the old - Hey, you’ll play right away. Well a JUCO transfer will most likely play right away anywhere they go. Don’t think we are any more appealing to a good Juco than we are to many HS stars.

[quote="PSUdraw, post:3, topic:1014"]Not sure you can get a true C Juco but it would be nice. I hope just a solid post that can rebound and make some shots from 10 ft and in. Nice if he is pounder or enforcer. Just wondering should they try to find another sharp shooter. [b]Will need some outside production even if its only for 5 min a game.[/b][/quote] We "still" have Camm. Now that you look back, I wonder if something was going on that we didn't know about. Camm played quite a bit the last couple games.

My gut tells me Marshall is going to be a pleasant surprise. Losing Babb hurts a lot – I felt he was clearly our second best all around player by the end of the year. But I think Marshall will replace some of that. You can only play 5 guys at a time, and we still have plenty of good players.

[quote="PSUdraw, post:3, topic:1014"]Not sure you can get a true C Juco but it would be nice. I hope just a solid post that can rebound and make some shots from 10 ft and in. Nice if he is pounder or enforcer. Just wondering should they try to find another sharp shooter. [b]Will need some outside production even if its only for 5 min a game.[/b][/quote] We "still" have Camm. Now that you look back, I wonder if something was going on that we didn't know about. Camm played quite a bit the last couple games.

My gut tells me Marshall is going to be a pleasant surprise. Losing Babb hurts a lot – I felt he was clearly our second best all around player by the end of the year. But I think Marshall will replace some of that. You can only play 5 guys at a time, and we still have plenty of good players.

Marshall should def help but he’s not going to be playing a lot outside like Chris. He’s more of a slasher type and is very good at setting up his teammates. If you are looking for him to fill it up from outside think again.

Next year’s depth chart at the moment:

5-Jones/Sasa
4-Brooks/Sasa/Oliver*
3-Jackson/Marshall
2-Buie/Woodyard
1-Battle/Frazier

11 scholarships. 4 left. The team is very shallow up front, especially with Oliver’s IFFY status. I also notice a lack of outside shooting beyond Battle… I’m not one of those people obsessed with Buie, can he knock down the 3 consistently?

Like its been said before, ED needs to get bodies up front. Hopefully Buie and Woodyard are able to fill Babb’s role. Woodyard showed some progress (along with ED saying he was earning PT in practice), hopefully that continues.

Referencing my “Why is PSU’s roster so big” thread… at this rate PSU will have 10~ walk ons. :smiley:

Here’s what I found looking up possible JUCO kids on Rivals:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Kendall-Durant-70494?colleges=show#college_choices-We’ve already offered him. Yes he’s a guard but at least its somebody. I hope he can shoot.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Rayshawn-Goins-42184?colleges=show#college_choices-No offers yet from anyone apparently for a guy who Rivals listed as their 3rd best JUCO. We should push hard for this kid IMO.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Dwight-McCombs-105314?colleges=show#college_choices-Probably our best bet as a big man in this JUCO class.

interesting that you chose to number them backwards by position. would be kinda funny to see Battle playing center and Jones running the point. :wink:

[quote=“noobd, post:8, topic:1014”]Next year’s depth chart at the moment:

1-Jones/Sasa
2-Brooks/Sasa/Oliver*
3-Jackson/Marshall
4-Buie/Woodyard
5-Battle/Frazier

11 scholarships. 4 left. The team is very shallow up front, especially with Oliver’s IFFY status. I also notice a lack of outside shooting beyond Battle… I’m not one of those people obsessed with Buie, can he knock down the 3 consistently?

Like its been said before, ED needs to get bodies up front. Hopefully Buie and Woodyard are able to fill Babb’s role. Woodyard showed some progress (along with ED saying he was earning PT in practice), hopefully that continues.

Referencing my “Why is PSU’s roster so big” thread… at this rate PSU will have 10~ walk ons. :D[/quote]

Or Preston and Earl can be part of practice like we had a few years ago when we didn’t have enough players to practice and the asst coaches became part of the team.

Haha oops. I have two text documents saved on my desktop for Seton Hall and Penn State’s depth charts… just for reference. When I made PSU’s, I was working quickly and I guess I just went 1->5 lol. Thanks for pointing it out.

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:10, topic:1014”]interesting that you chose to number them backwards by position. would be kinda funny to see Battle playing center and Jones running the point. ;)[/quote]Wouldn’t be to funny. He has butterfingers. We would never get the ball past half court :wink:

Hopefully 2 bigs, atleast one of them a Juco who we won’t have to wait a year to get ready for the physical play of the Big Ten. Then I wouldn’t mind a Juco off-guard who could defend, with Battle, Buie, Frazier, Woodyard, Marshall as our guards, the one thing you don’t see any size or physicality.

The one thing is we think about guys like Parker and Pringle, even Moosh Jackson, as instant starters, but those guys improved significantly between their Jr-Sr seasons. It still took them awhile to get acclimated to the speed of the game.

[quote=“vslice02, post:14, topic:1014”]Hopefully 2 bigs, atleast one of them a Juco who we won’t have to wait a year to get ready for the physical play of the Big Ten. Then I wouldn’t mind a Juco off-guard who could defend, with Battle, Buie, Frazier, Woodyard, Marshall as our guards, the one thing you don’t see any size or physicality.

The one thing is we think about guys like Parker and Pringle, even Moosh Jackson, as instant starters, but those guys improved significantly between their Jr-Sr seasons. It still took them awhile to get acclimated to the speed of the game.[/quote]Need 2 bigs and a shooter.

What was the kid from Philly that announced he was going to play for Penn State but didn’t have the grades to play and was going go Juco? Was that 2 years ago?

Malik Tinsley

Wonder if his name will bubble up in all the Juco talk. He was a pretty good philly player his senior year.

[quote="NICU, post:17, topic:1014"]Malik Tinsley[/quote] Wonder if his name will bubble up in all the Juco talk. He was a pretty good philly player his senior year.
He's at Polk CC in Florida.

[quote="NICU, post:17, topic:1014"]Malik Tinsley[/quote] Wonder if his name will bubble up in all the Juco talk. He was a pretty good philly player his senior year.
He's at Polk CC in Florida.

No idea if we have any interest, but I remember when he came up a couple years ago. Here are his stats from this past season http://www.njcaa.org/colleges_college_player.cfm?sid=4&collegeid=1368&category=Roster&slid=2&teamid=91791&athleteid=283401. Looks like he averaged a little over 13 ppg. Doesn’t seem to be much of a shooter from outside (22 attempts from 3, only made 2), so I’d guess he’s more of a 3.