PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Looking back at the 2001 team

http://www.centredaily.com/2011/02/26/2545609/seniors-recall-sweet-run.html

Bruce Parkhill was an assistant coach on that Ohio State team. He once told me that he went into the locker room at halftime and told the OSU team not to worry because Joe Crispin would shoot them back into the game - and Joe did. What caused a lot of the Penn State consternation after the game between Crispin and Cline-Heard was Crispin’s refusal to listen to Jerry Dunn’s attempts to get him to run some time off of the clock. Crispin just kept launching threes - but they refused to drop. Joe was 6-12 for 19 pts in the first half but just 3-13 in the second (one of which was an uncontested layup at the final buzzer). His 2-12 shooting before the layup just doomed us.

In the second half, Ohio State shot over 60% making 23 of 38 shots as they constantly worked it inside while PSU acted like the desperate team taking over a dozen three pointers and only making two. Between the two teams they took 74 shots in the second half (and that doesn’t include the 32 foul shots). That’s a big contrast with the 57 FGA and 16 FTA in the first half. With a 20 point halftime lead, we should have been trying to slow the pace down but played right into Ohio State’s hands by taking early shots. The Buckeyes scored 62 points in the second half which is more than what half of our opponents have scored in full games this season. That half was one of the more frustrating moments of basketball that I’ve witnessed at the Jordan Center (and there have been a lot of them).

Great article.
Like Lar said, after the OSU game Crispin and Cline-Heard had it out, and then they played phone tag before making up, but it seemed like it took Joe 3 halves of basketball (until 2nd-half of the Michigan State game) to get some of his swagger back (as he went about 40 minutes of basketball with just 1 basket early in the Big Ten Tournament) and to get some of Dunn’s confidence back in him (it was telling that the airbal Cline-Heard rebounded was Watkins’ and not Crispin’s).
Non-conference season w/wins over UK and Temple, then a 2-5 start to the Big Ten, then the huge win over Illinois immediately followed by that crushing loss to Indiana (now that was a crowd), then they rebound w/a nice stretch before losing in Evanston (talk about a ‘bad loss’), then win in Iowa City, then blow the OSU game. Truly a roller-coaster ride - so many occassions they were almost in or almost out - and definitely tons of fun.

Fun team in 2001…yes…BUT the largest difference between that team and the present day team is the fan base. THEN, the fan base had “expectations” …today…well…don’t get me started.
BUT, it’s important to note about this season’s team is how much fun it is for a fan to have the team compete (have a chance) for the tourney! Would it not be nice to have this situation every year?? Is this too much to ask?? (Apologists need not respond.)

Joe still sees the OSU loss as due to “playing not to lose”, not “ridiculously jacking up threes with what should be an insurmountable lead”. A scorpion does what it does! :slight_smile:

I still remember Joe coming into the hoops club post game social after that game. It looked like he had tears in his eyes. I remember a few of us telling him to hang in there and go get 'em at the BT tourney. :slight_smile:
It was so great to then see the guys win two in the tourney and get to the dance that year.

Isn’t that the same bunch of guys that had the player mutiny? If I remember correctly they outed Dunn for practicing too long and things like that.

Although the run was nice to watch when it happened, that was the beginning of where we are now. Seniors graduated, players transferred and the team went in the pooper. Dunn got fired two years later. Being a PSU BB fan I know how Cubs fans feel.

The practice stuff started with the 95-96 team, not that group.

[quote="jjepsu92, post:7, topic:2000"]Isn't that the same bunch of guys that had the player mutiny? If I remember correctly they outed Dunn for practicing too long and things like that.[/quote]

I remember some of the 95-96 team showing up in articles backing up the 00-01 team, but didn’t that 00-01 team blow the lid off the jar.

[quote="jjepsu92, post:7, topic:2000"]Isn't that the same bunch of guys that had the player mutiny? If I remember correctly they outed Dunn for practicing too long and things like that.[/quote]

I remember some of the 95-96 team showing up in articles backing up the 00-01 team, but didn’t that 00-01 team blow the lid off the jar.

Not really. What you might remember is GCH having some issues with JD that got him on the bench for at least one game that winter.

I remember that but I could have sworn there was some issue about the lengths of practice and I thought it started with Joe Crispin and GCH and then the Collegian started calling guys like Gaudio and Lisicky and they backed up the players on the 00-01 team that were bringing out the news of lengthy practices.

I believe that the stories broke about practices within a year of the 95-96 season (maybe something like the following fall). It definately wasn’t 5-6 years later.

[quote="jjepsu92, post:11, topic:2000"]I remember that but I could have sworn there was some issue about the lengths of practice and I thought it started with Joe Crispin and GCH and then the Collegian started calling guys like Gaudio and Lisicky and they backed up the players on the 00-01 team that were bringing out the news of lengthy practices.[/quote]

I believe that the stories broke about practices within a year of the 95-96 season (maybe something like the following fall). It definately wasn’t 5-6 years later.

Agreed.

I think the Gaudio and Lisicky practice allegations came out a year or two before the Sweet 16 run and didn’t involve any current players on the team, and the GCH practice outburst resulted in a 1-game suspension - which Dunn claimed was due to him receiving a technical foul in the previous game.

Vslice wins. Here’s a psuedo link.

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P1-25701154.html

I wrote the story because I had heard grumblings from some of the 2000 team that they were dead-legged and completely fatigued and that Jerry was routinely breaking the 20-hour rule. The guys looked physically destroyed after the Notre Dame NIT game in NYC and one of the prominent 2000 players confided to me as long as I didn’t use his name; he was afraid of repercussions. I had heard that the trend had dated back years and knew some stories that a couple of the managers had told me. So, I went and found Lisicky and Gaudio and they spoke on the record and without equivocation about their experiences from 1995-1999. They especially detailed 1996 where the team was spent by the NCAA game against Arkansas, before which both said Jerry had a 3-hour practice. This all was to show that it was a long trend. I got the NCAA involved. It would’ve been a minor violation had it even been levied which it was not. I was more interested in fixing the problem. Which apparently, the stories had a hand in doing. Though Penn State’s “internal investigation” was a complete whitewash that showed “no infractions,” Chuck Swenson told me after the following season (2001), before he left for Michigan, that the whole experience had made Jerry toe the line on the 20-hour-wk rule and that it had made a big difference in the players’ energy as the 2001 season progressed. I felt very good about that.

Dave, do you have any feelings one way of the other that Gaudios back issues were made worse by the overwork (i.e. >20 Hours).

Also thanks for explaining the article. I remembered reading it and thought it was more towards the Crispin years than earlier. I used to live in Harrisburg (Mechanicsburg actually) and used to read your column and Ronnie Christ’s regularly.

If I recall, one of the speculations from either Lisicky or Gaudio in that article was that if Penn State had beaten Arkansas, one of the starters (I think either Earl or Gaudio) may not have been able to play in the 2nd-round they were so worn down.

Earl had a very bad back. He looked like he was about 50% (if that) against Arkansas.
I get a ??? and a >:( on all this “worn out” stuff…Maybe someone should petition the NCAA to reduce the length of the season or the # of games played…Oh yeah, the NCAA has a rule about # of games played but allow HUGE LOOPHOLES for made-for-TV early season tourneys!! How about a petition to the NCAA for a maximum # of minutes each player can play in a game. Maybe about 30. It would give more players a chance to share the game experience.

PLEASE NO MORE DUNN BASHING… He has been gone for 8 seasons…What’s the MAXIMUN for the IGNORE button.

[quote="vslice02, post:18, topic:2000"]If I recall, one of the speculations from either Lisicky or Gaudio in that article was that if Penn State [i]had [/i] beaten Arkansas, one of the starters (I think either Earl or Gaudio) may not have been able to play in the 2nd-round they were so worn down.[/quote]

Earl had a very bad back. He looked like he was about 50% (if that) against Arkansas.
I get a ??? and a >:( on all this “worn out” stuff…Maybe someone should petition the NCAA to reduce the length of the season or the # of games played…Oh yeah, the NCAA has a rule about # of games played but allow HUGE LOOPHOLES for made-for-TV early season tourneys!! How about a petition to the NCAA for a maximum # of minutes each player can play in a game. Maybe about 30. It would give more players a chance to share the game experience.

PLEASE NO MORE DUNN BASHING… He has been gone for 8 seasons…What’s the MAXIMUN for the IGNORE button.

If you are talking to me, I wasn’t Dunn bashing. I remember the 2000-01 team being pretty dysfunctional and thought the allegations about excessive practice time was all in that year also. Which would have made that run even more impressive.

However, for all that Ed gets blamed for where we are as a program didn’t start on his watch. Jerry inherited a pretty freaking good team from Parkhill. Ed did not get that benefit. Maybe the wrong hire was made when Bruce left.

By the way I am not an Ed apologist. I am a Penn State Basketball fan waiting for a winner. I don’t give two flying cow turds who gets it to that point.