Look at Non-Conference Schedules

Toughest Non-Conference Schedules

I know we already had this discussion when our Non-Con schedule was released but it’d be nice to see at least one “big name” on our schedule (VT, UVA, Temple, Miami, SC are all Top 75 teams but not Top 20 teams). In fact, I wish that every year we’d play one of either Syracuse, Nova, or Pitt on our schedule as part of a H-H series (not sure those schools feel the same way).

On the bright side, once we make the Big Dance this year we could get some high profile Non-Con games next year ;D

Top 75? UVA not likely - the others probably.

I love watching some of the games that the Illini schedule during November and December. A few years ago they traveled to Maui and faced Zona, Duke and Okie State. Every year they play Mizzou in St Louis. And this year they add Gonzaga, Georgia, Utah, Vanderbilt and Okie State again, mostly at neutral sites. They’ll play at Clemson in the ACC/Big Ten. With this schedule they can afford to add the Woffard’s and Presbyterians without worrying about their RPI.

I know, the Illini have a good track record and probably are a plum get for some of the teams they play, but PSU needs to build up to this type of schedule to be taken seriously come March.

I know we need to walk until we can run, but this team is now ready to break into a steady jog I feel. Scheduling at least one of the top 25 on the road or at a neutral site prior to the Big Ten would give this team a good barometer. Similar to what Kentucky did for the 2001 tourney team.

[quote="Finding Forrester, post:1, topic:35"]VT, UVA, Temple, Miami, SC are all Top 75 teams but not Top 20 teams.[/quote]

Top 75? UVA not likely - the others probably.

http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/virginia-basketball-preview-167144

Who knows?

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:3, topic:35”]I love watching some of the games that the Illini schedule during November and December. A few years ago they traveled to Maui and faced Zona, Duke and Okie State. Every year they play Mizzou in St Louis. And this year they add Gonzaga, Georgia, Utah, Vanderbilt and Okie State again, mostly at neutral sites. They’ll play at Clemson in the ACC/Big Ten. With this schedule they can afford to add the Woffard’s and Presbyterians without worrying about their RPI.

I know, the Illini have a good track record and probably are a plum get for some of the teams they play, but PSU needs to build up to this type of schedule to be taken seriously come March.

I know we need to walk until we can run, but this team is now ready to break into a steady jog I feel. Scheduling at least one of the top 25 on the road or at a neutral site prior to the Big Ten would give this team a good barometer. Similar to what Kentucky did for the 2001 tourney team.[/quote]

Maybe they’ll wait til Battle graduates. :wink: Why can an NJIT play PSU, but PSU can’t play Texas? Why can Beilein take a moribund UM program, which hadn’t made the tourney in years, and play Duke(twice), UCLA, UConn, etc., right away? I think Beilein believes in running right away, not walking. Hmmm. PSU has pg who is legitimate All American candidate(predicted by Tim after about 10 freshmen games), and we’re walking. Doh!

$$$$$$$

[quote="kidcoyote, post:5, topic:35"]Maybe they'll wait til Battle graduates. ;) Why can an NJIT play PSU, but PSU can't play Texas? Why can Beilein take a moribund UM program, which hadn't made the tourney in years, and play Duke(twice), UCLA, UConn, etc., right away? I think Beilein believes in running right away, not walking. Hmmm. PSU has pg who is legitimate All American candidate(predicted by Tim after about 10 freshmen games), and we're walking. Doh![/quote]

$$$$$$$

I suppose you’re answering why NJIT can play PSU, but PSU can’t play Texas. Money is the answer, sooo, does UM get paid when they go to UConn? Vermont got $40k about 10 years ago when they went there. PSU can get money if they go to Texas, or UConn, or Syracuse. You think Beilein is going to Duke, UConn and UCLA for free?

[quote="kidcoyote, post:5, topic:35"]Maybe they'll wait til Battle graduates. ;) Why can an NJIT play PSU, but PSU can't play Texas? Why can Beilein take a moribund UM program, which hadn't made the tourney in years, and play Duke(twice), UCLA, UConn, etc., right away? I think Beilein believes in running right away, not walking. Hmmm. PSU has pg who is legitimate All American candidate(predicted by Tim after about 10 freshmen games), and we're walking. Doh![/quote]

$$$$$$$

And I would argue, moreso, TV ratings. Most times when UM plays UCLA or Duke, the game gets on CBS or some major coverage. If that were us, probably not so much coverage, and that doesn’t interest the Dukies of the world. Has nothing to do with walking or running, it’s about buzz and street cred, and UM’s got a lot more in hoops than we have. (past final 4’s and Nat Champs will earn you a lot of ratings points for a long time regardless of performance… see PSU football)

You have a big advantage to scheduling those top teams when you can get them to go for home and homes. Michigan is able to get teams like Duke/UCLA/UConn to go for them. Illinois can get teams like Missouri and Texas to go for them. For us, we’re still at the point where we get them with the Temple/Virginia Tech/St Joe’s/Penn level teams. Another year or two like last year and we might move up the pecking order, but we still have a lot of ground to make up on those teams that have history of success (whether it’s recent or in the past). At this point, I’m just happy that we’re avoiding the dogs and scheduling the mid-level games. We may not have the sexy names on the schedule, however it’s a nice schedule to sneak into the NCAA tourney.

No, he’s doing it in exchange for a home game. Honest question, do you really think that any of those teams gives PSU a home and home?

[quote="kidcoyote, post:7, topic:35"]You think Beilein is going to Duke, UConn and UCLA for free?[/quote]

No, he’s doing it in exchange for a home game. Honest question, do you really think that any of those teams gives PSU a home and home?

No, I don’t, but why not just play there? Last year Michigan played Duke in NYC and Ann Arbor, so it wasn’t a home and home. Michigan played UCLA in same tourney in NYC. Wisky played at Texas. I didn’t check their sked for this year. Seems to be so many excuses for not playing top teams.

Temple’s playing Siena(top 25 in most polls), Georgetown, Virginia Tech, St. John’s, Villanova, PSU, Kansas. How long you think it will be til we can get games as tough as Temple? And Temple gets those games because…?

As a few other people posted. TV networks don’t think PSU is a great rating bringer yet so there not greasing the wheels for a big match up with a Top 25 program. If networks not greasing the wheels, why would any top 25 team (Minus Pitt and Nova) schedule a up and coming PSU for a home and home? Its all about business and PSU sports business will not do a 2 for 1 or a one game at a top 25. PSU starts dancing and the top 25 non-con starts happening.

[quote=“kidcoyote, post:11, topic:35”]No, I don’t, but why not just play there? Last year Michigan played Duke in NYC and Ann Arbor, so it wasn’t a home and home. Michigan played UCLA in same tourney in NYC. Wisky played at Texas. I didn’t check their sked for this year. Seems to be so many excuses for not playing top teams.

Temple’s playing Siena(top 25 in most polls), Georgetown, Virginia Tech, St. John’s, Villanova, PSU, Kansas. How long you think it will be til we can get games as tough as Temple? And Temple gets those games because…?[/quote]

Answer to number 1 is $$$$$. PSU sports admin wants the money of a home basketball game instead of going on the road. Why you think PSU football has Indiana St on the schedule next season??

Answer 2 is 2 decades of a winning tradition and multiple NCAA tournament appearances in recent histories.

[quote="kidcoyote, post:11, topic:35"]No, I don't, but why not just play there? Last year Michigan played Duke in NYC and Ann Arbor, so it wasn't a home and home. Michigan played UCLA in same tourney in NYC. Wisky played at Texas. I didn't check their sked for this year. Seems to be so many excuses for not playing top teams.

Temple’s playing Siena(top 25 in most polls), Georgetown, Virginia Tech, St. John’s, Villanova, PSU, Kansas. How long you think it will be til we can get games as tough as Temple? And Temple gets those games because…?[/quote]

Answer to number 1 is $$$$$. PSU sports admin wants the money of a home basketball game instead of going on the road. Why you think PSU football has Indiana St on the schedule next season??

Answer 2 is 2 decades of a winning tradition and multiple NCAA tournament appearances in recent histories.

Reply to #1: Ridiculous. Squeeze in another game. Michigan does it during conference season. PSU will have to play away only to earn respect. Can you imagine if PSU went to Texas and they won down there? Or how about beating Villanova? Play away for 1 or 2 seasons, and program could leap in stature.

Reply to #2: Long Island University was dominant in the 40’s and 50’s. NYU had two All Americans. Can’t sell me on the tradition thing. John Chaney made the tradition at Temple. Cal used to be dominant, beating Wooden’s UCLA teams 15 straight times before he beat them. Things change.

You are talking about teams from 50+ years ago. Chaney has only been gone a few years. And Temple has still been a solid program. What Temple gives you is a solid game against a team you should beat without the black eye if you happen to lose. You are comparing us to Temple, which might not be fair. I’m assuming that Temple has teams calling them. We probably don’t.

Yes Michigan/Duke was a home and home. The first game was part of a tournament that had nothing to do with the second game. The second game in Ann Arbor was Duke paying back Michigan for the trip that Michigan made to Durham the year before - which is how home and homes work.

I don’t think you can “squeeze” in another game. Am I misunderstanding something here???

[quote="kidcoyote, post:14, topic:35"]Reply to #1: Ridiculous. Squeeze in another game. Michigan does it during conference season.[/quote]

I don’t think you can “squeeze” in another game. Am I misunderstanding something here???

What I mean is that Michigan played an OOC game during the conference schedule. Michigan played UConn at CT on 2/7/09, two days after playing PSU, and 3 days before playing MSU, having 5 days between conference games. PSU had 6 games (with no OOC game in between) playing 2/18 at IL, then in Columbus on 2/24. Why couldn’t you have “squeezed” one in there. Michigan did it. IMO, the difference is that PSU wanted the rest. UM didn’t. IMO, it comes down to the same thing, the difference in the coach’s attidude. Ed wants to make the tourney, hence rest the team for Big 10 games. Beilein wants to win the tourney, hence prepare by playing tough comp. Belein shoots for the stars, as he believes he and his team belong. Ed’s trying to prove it incrementally.

Talor Battle is one of top players in country, and could clearly excite any crowd and any espn announcers. Waiting until he graduates(or leaves early) before playing top 25 teams is not smart. Don’t you want to see him vs. Scottie Reynolds? Kemba Walker? Sherron Collins? And anybody Duke puts on the floor? What would it mean to the program if they beat one of those teams? Think it’d help make the tourney(see Minny v. Louisville, circa Nov '08)? Why wait?

I think there is a limit about how many games you can “squeeze” into a year. I’m also pretty sure that PSU was at that limit.

Uncle?

[quote="kidcoyote, post:18, topic:35"]What I mean is that Michigan played an OOC game during the conference schedule. Michigan played UConn at CT on 2/7/09, two days after playing PSU, and 3 days before playing MSU, having 5 days between conference games. PSU had 6 games (with no OOC game in between) playing 2/18 at IL, then in Columbus on 2/24. Why couldn't you have "squeezed" one in there. Michigan did it. IMO, the difference is that PSU wanted the rest. UM didn't. IMO, it comes down to the same thing, the difference in the coach's attidude. Ed wants to make the tourney, hence rest the team for Big 10 games. Beilein wants to win the tourney, hence prepare by playing tough comp. Belein shoots for the stars, as he believes he and his team belong. Ed's trying to prove it incrementally.[/quote]

I think there is a limit about how many games you can “squeeze” into a year. I’m also pretty sure that PSU was at that limit.

Uncle?

Yes. Yes.