PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

London to host Raptors-Nets in March

I would have thought they’d have the Bulls & Mavs do this to feature Brits Deng & Pops…wonder if Meech will be there in any official capacity.

London to host Raptors-Nets in March

LONDON -- The NBA is taking regular-season games to Europe for the first time.

NBA commissioner David Stern announced Monday that the Toronto Raptors and New Jersey Nets will play a pair of regular-season games in London this season.

The teams will face each other March 4 and 5 at the O2 Arena, the same venue that has hosted preseason games over the last several years.

Why London? It’s an odd choice considering basketball really isn’t that popular in England. I would think someplace in Spain or Italy would make more sense.

Well if there is any matchup that is going to covert those Brits it has to be Raptors vs Nets!

London will be hosting the 2012 Olympics and the league sees London as a key market to introduce the NBA game to Europe. I was there when the Rockets and Hawks played an exhibition in 1995 and there was a certain curiosity factor to see the NBA champion Rockets and Hakeem Olajuwon. But not so much in the way of a crazy atmosphere, as there was when the Suns and Jazz played in Tokyo in the first exhibition game played there in 1990. The Japanese went bonkers over that one.

As for the connection to the Olympics, the Raptors have Bargnani, Bellineli, Barbosa and Calderon who all have a chance to play in 2012. The Nets have…well, they have…um…Johan Petro ???. Though I did hear that Derrick Favors once attended an English class in high school. :slight_smile:

These are the 2 closest things to international teams the NBA has. The only Canadian team and the only other foreign-owned team.

But what does that have to do with London? Or Europe?

[quote="Skeeza, post:5, topic:1291"]These are the 2 closest things to international teams the NBA has. The only Canadian team and the only other foreign-owned team.[/quote]

But what does that have to do with London? Or Europe?

Not much. I was just throwing it out there, never meant that it was THE reason.