PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Lock Haven Basketball HC Position (PSU interest)

See newspaper link:

http://www.lockhaven.com/page/content.detail/id/530185/Finalists-chosen-for-LHU-basketball-position.html?nav=5080

I’m suprised that KK is interested in the LH job…

Maybe the interest is a fallback opportunity back when the staff had some job security concerns before the BTT run?

possible fall back but I had feeling that there would be some staff turnover this off season. I wouldn’t be surprised if KK and Preston land head coaching opportunities this off-season. The successful run in the BIg Ten Tourney and maybe a win or 2 in the dance can really add to there resumes

You absolutely hit the nail on the head! LHU is an absolute wasteland for a basketball coaching position at this point. Kurt was looking for a safe landing, close to SC where his kid can finish up HS, before he moves on. Looking at the 3 finalists, Goldey Beacom’s coach, by applying for the job, might as well come out and say that he is about to be fired at his school, because this is one job that an established coach DOES NOT TOUCH, unless there is a unique tie, such as Kanaskie wanting to stay close to SC. I would look for Kanaskie to be able to look at low D-1’s again, similar to his interest in St. Francis and Mt. St. Mary’s a couple years ago. Off the top of my head, Towson is one that comes to mind. If he is set on his kid finishing HS at SC, then he can wait out the next two years at PSU with Ed’s contract extension upcoming. You folks that clamor for Preston as a HC need to REALLY, REALLY look at his “leaving” at his last two stops. LOL, he aint getting a head coaching job anytime soon!

Coach K was interviewed yesterday for Lock Haven HC position. See article from local newspaper:

http://www.lockhaven.com/page/content.detail/id/530363/Kanaskie-has-hopes-for-hoops-program.html?nav=5080

Interesting…

I’m guessing this past season was as stressful as they come for the coaching staff. Keep that in mind.

Kanaskie might also not want to put in the hours anymore. Can’t believe that head coach at Lock Haven is going to have to put in the same amount of time that a Div 1A BCS level coach is asked to put in. Maybe KK looks at taking the head job at Lock Haven as a way to still earn a decent salary, stay in State College, and work more of a 40 hour week for the next 10 years and retire.

This as well. Job security is also something to think about. Lombardi at IUP was a Pitt Asst. before taking that job, and he has been very successful. I know Lock Haven is very down, but the job is still appealing for many reasons.

Disagree…I think it is a misnomer to think the coaches and/or players work less hard or put in less hours!! If anything I think there are usually more coaches and more support staff at the higher level.

Kanaskie might also not want to put in the hours anymore. Can't believe that head coach at Lock Haven is going to have to put in the same amount of time that a Div 1A BCS level coach is asked to put in. Maybe KK looks at taking the head job at Lock Haven as a way to still earn a decent salary, stay in State College, and work more of a 40 hour week for the next 10 years and retire.

Disagree…I think it is a misnomer to think the coaches and/or players work less hard or put in less hours!! If anything I think there are usually more coaches and more support staff at the higher level.

Speaking for myself, I was thinking more about the long travel/travel time in the Big 10 vs. the PSAC, as well as more regional recruiting and less time recruiting when you are the head coach.

When comparing travel time remember you are talking about plane compared to bus/car!

What about the PSU private jet? :wink:

Kanaskie might also not want to put in the hours anymore. Can't believe that head coach at Lock Haven is going to have to put in the same amount of time that a Div 1A BCS level coach is asked to put in. Maybe KK looks at taking the head job at Lock Haven as a way to still earn a decent salary, stay in State College, and work more of a 40 hour week for the next 10 years and retire.

Wrong here. The demanding hours of D1 (recuritng primarily as well as other issues) is a large reason why College Basketball all time winnng recordholder Herb Magee never took the step to D1. He’s very content with the pace at Philadelphia University. Make no mistake, he could be a better D1 coach than most that are out there.

Lock Haven is down and nobody really cares about their program, the only place to go is up. It is a relatively stress free coaching job compared to other coaching jobs. And I don’t think a low to middle end Div II coach is going to have anywhere near the hours away from home and stress level of a Div 1A Big Ten program. I would be willing to bet that is the main driver if he leaves. Unless he and Ed are just NOT getting along which you never hear about, but maybe it is because nobody in the program let’s on to it.

[quote="Cletus11, post:9, topic:2182"]Kanaskie might also not want to put in the hours anymore. Can't believe that head coach at Lock Haven is going to have to put in the same amount of time that a Div 1A BCS level coach is asked to put in. Maybe KK looks at taking the head job at Lock Haven as a way to still earn a decent salary, stay in State College, and work more of a 40 hour week for the next 10 years and retire.[/quote]

Wrong here. The demanding hours of D1 (recuritng primarily as well as other issues) is a large reason why College Basketball all time winnng recordholder Herb Magee never took the step to D1. He’s very content with the pace at Philadelphia University. Make no mistake, he could be a better D1 coach than most that are out there.

I don’t accept only 1 example (Magee.) Maybe if you told be exactly what 4 PSU D1AAAAA coaches due for so many daily hours 52 weeks a year that D2 coaches do not do! I seriously can’t think of anything (other issues that you mention.)
In summary…D1AAAA coaches have LESS job security (most places anyway.) BUT make more money. Asst. coaches also know if they are successful recruiters they may land HC jobs with a career path to making a couple million a year. This is very attractive to some but may not be to others. Some may want more security and less relocation requirements. But, I believe because of coaching staff size (larger) and support staff (much larger) size there is NO more actual work required.

[quote="Cletus11, post:9, topic:2182"]Kanaskie might also not want to put in the hours anymore. Can't believe that head coach at Lock Haven is going to have to put in the same amount of time that a Div 1A BCS level coach is asked to put in. Maybe KK looks at taking the head job at Lock Haven as a way to still earn a decent salary, stay in State College, and work more of a 40 hour week for the next 10 years and retire.[/quote]

I don’t accept only 1 example (Magee.) Maybe if you told be exactly what 4 PSU D1AAAAA coaches due for so many daily hours 52 weeks a year that D2 coaches do not do! I seriously can’t think of anything (other issues that you mention.)
In summary…D1AAAA coaches have LESS job security (most places anyway.) BUT make more money. Asst. coaches also know if they are successful recruiters they may land HC jobs with a career path to making a couple million a year. This is very attractive to some but may not be to others. Some may want more security and less relocation requirements. But, I believe because of coaching staff size (larger) and support staff (much larger) size there is NO more actual work required.

I think you answered your own question. KK is not looking to move up the ladder, he is looking to move DOWN the ladder. He is at the age where taking a Div II job with low expectations means he only has to put in 40+ hours a week where at PSU he is putting in 50+ hours a week plus significant travel time. If he were a 28 year old guy who just got his first head coaching job at Lock Haven and is looking to work his way up the totem pole, I agree that that guy would be putting in huge work weeks. But Kanaskie would be taking the job specifically to be able to be at home more with family and not have the pressure to put in big hours to win and move up. He’d be looking to have a decent team at Lock Haven to the point of being able to keep his job while still balancing family life with it. I don’t think that is an option for PSU BBall right now. Now maybe if he called up JoePa and asked how to get on the football staff and be a semi-retired coach like Anderson and Hall, that would be a different story.

It would be a bummer to lose Coach K. Great mind, great demeanor, good guy to have associated with the program.

http://twitter.com/#!/djoneshoop/status/51312877046476800

Kurt Kanaskie has withdrawn from Lock Haven coaching search.

Kinda surprised from those quotes in that article the other day, but I guess the time wasn’t right for him after all.

[quote=“eric17, post:19, topic:2182”]http://twitter.com/#!/djoneshoop/status/51312877046476800

Kinda surprised from those quotes in that article the other day, but I guess the time wasn’t right for him after all.[/quote]

Or maybe he didn’t like what Lock Haven had to say. Interviews go both ways.