PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Listening to Pat interviewed by Jed and Phil on PA Sports Network

He mentioned that he’s going to scour Philly, NYC, Balto/Wash, Boston, VA to find Penn State type players as well as our normal recruiting areas (I guess that means Texas and Ohio).

It remains to be seen if kids in those areas want to play in the Big Ten. IMHO, he has two jobs - sell PSU and sell the Big Ten.

Tough job, but I think he has the right stuff to pull it off.

[quote=“Great Santini, post:1, topic:2472”]It remains to be seen if kids in those areas want to play in the Big Ten. IMHO, he has two jobs - sell PSU and sell the Big Ten.

Tough job, but I think he has the right stuff to pull it off.[/quote]

I think both of those jobs have been assigned a mythical level of toughness. The fact that Dunn and DeChellis failed at it doesn’t mean it is impossible. Dunn went on to become an assistant, DeChellis bolted for Navy because he knew he’d done as much as he was capable of.

Bach, Harter and Parkhill tried it to with mixed results. I think it’s a tough sell on both parts.

Not really with the Big Ten, though. Except maybe a season of recruiting or so with Parkhill

Those 3 did not have a new modern arena and the BigTen. Maybe people can’t remember or don’t want to remember but it seemed EVERYBODY believed once we were in the BigTen GREAT things would happen as soon as we got in the BJC. I think even JoePa made comments!! Talk about “reduced expectations” …look at where we are now??

What about the great Mike Edelman?

[quote="Great Santini, post:3, topic:2472"]Bach, Harter and Parkhill tried it to with mixed results. I think it's a tough sell on both parts.[/quote]

What about the great Mike Edelman?

Loved Mike! We stole him from Penn by hiring his old man, the gruff (but more lovable) Ray Edelman. Harter should have held that spot open for Sam Bowie’s dad. Or at least Ricky Tunstall’s.

[quote="Great Santini, post:3, topic:2472"]Bach, Harter and Parkhill tried it to with mixed results. I think it's a tough sell on both parts.[/quote]

Not really with the Big Ten, though. Except maybe a season of recruiting or so with Parkhill

I just read somewhere recently that part of the problem was PSU’s lack of TV exposure before. But now almost every game is televised. Our coaches should be selling TV, the B1G and Penn State as a top 50 University. And the first superstar to commit will practically be guaranteed to have his image immortalized in the halls of the BJC – oh wait, we don’t really do that for hoops. Well maybe we should.

Those 3 did not have a new modern arena and the BigTen. Maybe people can’t remember or don’t want to remember but it seemed EVERYBODY believed once we were in the BigTen GREAT things would happen as soon as we got in the BJC. I think even JoePa made comments!! Talk about “reduced expectations” …look at where we are now??

Well not everybody…

I guarantee, and you can write a story, Penn State basketball will [b]never[/b] be successful in the Big Ten. I will give you my heart if they are. I’m talking ever. Just not going to happen.

Great things did happen. Dan Earl, Pete Lisicky, Glenn Sekunda, Matt Gaudio, and Calvin Booth had us as high as #9 nationally at one point.

Then Dunn started to have an effect, and the foundation disintegrated after Joe Crispin and Titus Ivory were no longer around to hold it up.