PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Lions Travel To Iowa Saturday

Penn State takes on Hawkeyes in 3:00 p.m. tip on ESPNU

"The Hawkeyes rank last in the conference in field goal percentage defense (.458) and have surrendered 75 points or more in six of their 10 conference games. "

We can only hope…

Struggling Nittany Lions seek big road win

Penn State is once again likely to be without junior forward Billy Oliver (concussion symptoms) and freshman guard Trey Lewis (back injury).
:(

sounds like we may have seen the last of Billy in a PSU uniform :-\

I hope for Oliver’s sake that somebody forces him not to come back. With all the new information the past 2-3 years on concussions, you just can’t risk it. One or two more years of college BBall is not worth a potential lifetime of poor health.

I agree. Plus I’m pretty sure Billy is a pretty bright kid and has a big future ahead of him outside of basketball

Chambers was hopeful Billy can return soon.

I heard that too eric, was hopeful Billy might get back for today’s game @ Iowa. Hope you can get well soon Billy!

Would be nice to get him back ! Just seems like this is a problem that isn’t going away

sounds like we may have seen the last of Billy in a PSU uniform :-\

I hope for Oliver’s sake that somebody forces him not to come back. With all the new information the past 2-3 years on concussions, you just can’t risk it. One or two more years of college BBall is not worth a potential lifetime of poor health.

I understand what you’re saying but basketball isn’t exactly football or hockey in terms of the number of head injuries. Do you want him to live in a bubble his entire life also? He could easily bang his head walking down the street, or even just visiting friends houses with low ceiling and chandeliers.

I agree that there comes a point for some athletes to just call it quits and maybe this is getting close for Billy, but it’s not like he’s really risking a ton by playing basketball in my opinion and I have to believe the doctors and trainers are well aware of this, hence why he’s still trying to keep playing.

It’s one thing for nagging injuries like this to keep being bothersome, it’s another if he’s risking doing more damage by playing. I don’t believe there’s any real risk for further injury outside of a freak shot to the head that could just as easily happen off the court as on. I’ll let Billy and his doctors determine when enough is enough.

I’d think playing basketball and being always a half inch away from taking an elbow, arm or shoulder to the head would leave him a lot more susceptible to a head injury than just walking down the street.

We’ve come full circle! You have identified the classic textbook example of reductio ad absurdam!

Yeah but walking down the street always just steps away from getting hit by a car, truck or bus would leave him much more susceptible to… :wink:

I’m just being absurd.

However, I’m of the opinion that Billy is old enough to make his own decision about whether or not to play. Once the doctor’s give him clearance, it should be up to him.

Do we know if he was hit on the head again? Or did his symptoms just come back? In Crosby’s case, his ImPact test from this last round didn’t really show signs of a concussion - the results were nowhere near the same “score” as his original head injury. Which is probably why his case is so perplexing. Hopefully, the neck issues they discovered are the real source of his problems. I wonder in Oliver’s case how his test results compare.

How many players have had head injuries like Billy’s that you can ever remember at Penn State? How many in the entire Big10?

It’s a very uncommon injury in basketball. The point is that it’s so rarely seen in basketball that you are probably going to see it more often in non-sporting activities. I don’t believe he’s putting himself at a great deal of risk by continuing to play, and the fact that he’s even trying to keep playing probably suggests his doctors feel the same way.

[quote="TreysWay3, post:4, topic:3042"]sounds like we may have seen the last of Billy in a PSU uniform :-\[/quote]

I understand what you’re saying but basketball isn’t exactly football or hockey in terms of the number of head injuries. Do you want him to live in a bubble his entire life also? He could easily bang his head walking down the street, or even just visiting friends houses with low ceiling and chandeliers.

I agree that there comes a point for some athletes to just call it quits and maybe this is getting close for Billy, but it’s not like he’s really risking a ton by playing basketball in my opinion and I have to believe the doctors and trainers are well aware of this, hence why he’s still trying to keep playing.

It’s one thing for nagging injuries like this to keep being bothersome, it’s another if he’s risking doing more damage by playing. I don’t believe there’s any real risk for further injury outside of a freak shot to the head that could just as easily happen off the court as on. I’ll let Billy and his doctors determine when enough is enough.

Life has a lot more to do probability than just blind chance. If it were all just chance, you should cash in your 401k and just buy a lottery ticket when you turn 64 1/2. :-\

Which situation will put Billy at more risk of high impact head contact… bumping your head on a neighbor’s chandelier or drawing a charge from a 240 pound power forward?

[quote="TreysWay3, post:4, topic:3042"]sounds like we may have seen the last of Billy in a PSU uniform :-\[/quote]

Life has a lot more to do probability than just blind chance. If it were all just chance, you should cash in your 401k and just buy a lottery ticket when you turn 64 1/2. :-\

Which situation will put Billy at more risk of high impact head contact… bumping your head on a neighbor’s chandelier or drawing a charge from a 240 pound power forward?

That’s kind of what I’m saying… you say that like it’s an obvious answer but I don’t think it is. You watch guys take incredible hits in sports and walk away like it was nothing all the time, and slight blows that look like nothing can end careers.

Exact how much danger is he putting himself in by playing basketball as compared to just leading a normal life without playing sports? Probability-wise? I’d say it’s not much difference considering he’s the only guy I can think of in decades of watching the sport that has ever had this happen to this degree.